List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
When is the last time we landed a good player with our 2nd round pick btw. Way too much value on it. If we trade a 2nd rounder, gotta use pick 60 and then pick up Noah Long instead of a Coby Burgiel, im a happy Chappy myself

Oscar Allen comes to mind. Or Liam Ryan. Brady Hough. Clay Hall is looking pretty good.

There are so many gun players in the comp so were 2nd round draftees.

Sam Taylor, Chad Warner, Elliot Yeo, to name just a few WA blokes.

Oscar Allen comes to mind. Or Liam Ryan. Brady Hough. Clay Hall is looking pretty good.

There are so many gun players in the comp so were 2nd round draftees.

Sam Taylor, Chad Warner, Elliot Yeo, to name just a few WA blokes.

Yeah we done better then I thought when I looked harder, but still not fantastic.

Dont bring up Liam Ryan. Im still livid we didnt pick him up the year before :D

HE false dawn? We’ve seen this before… same with CJ. Both injury prone big blokes who bring different attributes. In time they may both make it into the big leagues consistently, but I’d think more likely neither make it to 100 games
Opposite. Was on an clear trajectory prior to 2023 where he wasn't fit enough to take the field in his two games.

As we wait for our customary Sunday afternoon time slot, there’s an appetiser on AFL app U18 SA vs Allies, hoping Lombard has a huge carnival so GCS have strong interest in a top 5 pick. Travaglia and Bendigo on the CTL app too vs Smillie’s Eastern Ranges

As we wait for our customary Sunday afternoon time slot, there’s an appetiser on AFL app U18 SA vs Allies, hoping Lombard has a huge carnival so GCS have strong interest in a top 5 pick. Travaglia and Bendigo on the CTL app too vs Smillie’s Eastern Ranges
Only watched a little bit but Lombard was BOG from what I saw. Leading ball winner atm

Good is a very broad way to describe him, every player that makes the AFL is good at footy.
I have him a level below Duggan, mostly due to his size
Really, ok. Well duggan has shown limited versatility, baker has played to a decent level all over the ground..

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really, ok. Well duggan has shown limited versatility, baker has played to a decent level all over the ground..

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Duggan can go into the midfield in a defensive role or on half back like he usually does, how much more versatility can a player have before you get diminishing returns?
We have a whole best 22/23 and the rest of the squad to get players for different roles. As long as most of your best 23 can do multiple roles it doesnt matter if somebody can play in every line because you can shuffle magnets to cover wherever

I believe if Freo are interested, L.Baker will end up there.

They have the draft pick capital that Richmond will be after and I cannot see West Coast offering up similar value in any trade.

Which is fine with me - offering above value for a 173cm wing/flanker turning 27 next year would be a very Fremantle move.

There is much better value available elsewhere.

They have the draft pick capital that Richmond will be after and I cannot see West Coast offering up similar value in any trade.

Which is fine with me - offering above value for a 173cm wing/flanker turning 27 next year would be a very Fremantle move.

Yep. My mail at the start of the year was Baker to Freo (if he leaves) and I haven't heard anything to the contrary yet.

They are clearly interested, offered a 5 year deal apparently

Fremantle have the capital they have like 3x end of first round picks.

We don't have capital. One second rounder + Petch/Williams maybe at best. We need to remember busslinger will take up that capital
Freo might be trying to convert those into a top 10 pick though

Baker is a tough one unless your team is in contention for flag now.

A mid to late first round draft pick is fairly valuable as you have a pretty good chance of gaining a long term player

Baker would be a best 22 player and at 27 early next year is both in an age group we’re light on for and still has a few years of good footy ahead of him.

From all reports he’s also a solid citizen and would provide some good leadership for our young group as a dual premiership player

The question is his draft cost which at a minimum would likely be our R2 pick in the 23-26 range before the usual draft complexities kick in. Richmond would rightly ask for more than that.

Are we better rolling the dice in the draft with a pick in the range we’ve drafted Hough, Burgiel and Archer Reid in recent years or five years of a known quantity who improves our team but might not still be best 22 by the time we’re a genuine contender

I’m inclined to go the draft still and hope Petruccelle, who’s a similar age, can continue to develop and fill a similar role albeit at a reduced level

Witho and Petch can do to a lower level all that Baker would do either at HF, mid or HB.
Theyre both fine for the moment imo
Easily rather Petch/Witho + a 2nd rounder over Baker

Baker would be a best 22 player and at 27 early next year is both in an age group we’re light on for and still has a few years of good footy ahead of him.

From all reports he’s also a solid citizen and would provide some good leadership for our young group as a dual premiership player

The question is his draft cost which at a minimum would likely be our R2 pick in the 23-26 range before the usual draft complexities kick in. Richmond would rightly ask for more than that.

Are we better rolling the dice in the draft with a pick in the range we’ve drafted Hough, Burgiel and Archer Reid in recent years or five years of a known quantity who improves our team but might not still be best 22 by the time we’re a genuine contender

I’m inclined to go the draft still and hope Petruccelle, who’s a similar age, can continue to develop and fill a similar role albeit at a reduced level
Hit the nail on the head Keys. Baker would be ideal for the team with everything he brings but there is a cost and the cost looks to be too high for where the club is at right now.

Premiership teams are always full of traded in players but it might be too early in the cycle to go too hard on player trades for the eagles. Be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Back