List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

If we walk away at the end of the off-season with one of the top mids (FOS or Draper preferred at this stage), Buss and Champion with our draft hand it tact for next year I would be happy

John Ralph (I know... :rolleyes: ) on Fox now saying that Harley's management, Connor Sports, typically have their young stars at a club for 4 years initially before seeing if they want to move on. Because of that he's pretty sure Harley will sign on with us for a fourth year. Ralph said that West Coast are great at retaining players and he reckons that after four years Harley will be bleeding blue and gold and will most probably stay beyond that. Good if it eventuates.

West Coast have a reputation for being fair to deal with and have a good relationship with sports managers, including Connor Sports. It is times like these where the work we have put in to foster that reputation comes back to benefit us.

John Ralph (I know... :rolleyes: ) on Fox now saying that Harley's management, Connor Sports, typically have their young stars at a club for 4 years initially before seeing if they want to move on. Because of that he's pretty sure Harley will sign on with us for a fourth year. Ralph said that West Coast are great at retaining players and he reckons that after four years Harley will be bleeding blue and gold and will most probably stay beyond that. Good if it eventuates.

West Coast have a reputation for being fair to deal with and have a good relationship with sports managers, including Connor Sports. It is times like these where the work we have put in to foster that reputation comes back to benefit us.
Well, if it's from a bloke who was second only to McClure for cheerleading Reid to stay in Vic, that's quite a turnaround in opinion.

Mind you, I get the vibe Ralph does it solely for the clicks/media game and not because he's an utter dunce like McClure.

Well, if it's from a bloke who was second only to McClure for cheerleading Reid to stay in Vic, that's quite a turnaround in opinion.

Mind you, I get the vibe Ralph does it solely for the clicks/media game and not because he's an utter dunce like McClure.
Ralph does it because he's suckling at the VFL power teat and will always say and do whatever he thinks will tow the company line rather than being an impartial, professional journalist.

He's just a VFL propaganda mouthpiece with nothing of value or interest to add to actual AFL commentary so should, like most footy journalists, just be ignored.

The faster we can all put that s**t show we just witnessed behind us, the better. With the last chance to impress recruiters done and dusted, the MSD is finally upon us Wednesday and as expected pick 3 is locked in.

My strong preference in HBF Ben Hopkins didn’t get a final chance to impress as Dandenong had the bye. South Australian KPF prospect Noah Howes kicked 2.2 in the U18 champs vs the Allies and Will McLachlan kicked 6.3 for the Falcons last night.

After watching his game more closely over the last few weeks, I now have McLachlan ahead of Howes on talent with the caveat that not being at the ground makes it difficult to assess his defensive pressure which is an area of his game I’d hope our recruiters are aware and confident of. Given Long’s injury, the near term uncertainty of Brockman and also the depth of KPFs we have, he also fits more of a list need.

Trey Ruscoe turns up every week and if he’s been given some KPIs to meet as part of the agreement to play at the Beagles and he’s met them, I wouldn’t begrudge the club for picking him and giving him another shot however I do hope we use the pick to target a player with a little more upside.

In summary:

Want: Ben Hopkins
Wouldn’t mind: Will McLachlan
Expect: Trey Ruscoe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Payne somehow lasts to our pick in the MSD i think hed be a great pickup. Been a pressure forward this year but was a rebounding defender last year when he went undrafted. Either versions of him would be nice.

Would need to get past North and the Tigers though which sounds unlikely, even though he probably should get past them as they need talls more than anything.

Wishful thinking maybe

Today has bought about another list spot to be available at end of year.

Dom Sheed should be given his golden handshake. Pay him out. Delist.

Any 18yo draftee chomping at the bit to play AFL footy will do better than him.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Said this a few weeks back, his place on the list in 2025 stands out like a sore thumb.

I think the club should give him a nudge.

Pick 3 is on the menu which means Sid draper is on the menu.

He needs to stick his finger out of his ass and show some explosiveness and touches he previously showed.

In regards to jagga does he play like gaff/tstats (Essendon)/will Philips?

Pick 3 is on the menu which means Sid draper is on the menu.

He needs to stick his finger out of his ass and show some explosiveness and touches he previously showed.

In regards to jagga does he play like gaff/tstats (Essendon)/will Philips?

Draper is a bit too vanilla for my liking, I don’t think he’s a point of difference player and don’t think he hurts you more than other prospects do, also doesn’t have much impact forward of the ball.

Jagga isn’t Gaff or Tsatas like, he’s very good in congestion similar to Butters in that regard.

He will 100% go to Richmond I feel. I almost feel top 4 will be set in stone if we do finish 15th

North - Smillie
Richmond - Smith
St Kilda - O'Sullivan
West Coast - Draper
For some reason, I get the feeling at least one of those three clubs above us (primarily St Kilda) will reach for Trainor if we finish 15th.

Mid size fwd I think. 12 touches and 2 and a bit goals a game in the SA colts. Didn’t do much today though, probably a later pick?

I asked Chris about him on SA board

Hey Chris
What can you tell me about Ned Bowman heard WCE have strong interest in this kid ?

He’s one of the SA kids I’m most interested in watching with the step up in competition. Good size at 186cm, he has the athletic profile to be a good half forward. And his aerial work is as good as, if not better than, pretty much anyone in the draft.

I see no reason he couldn’t be in the top 30 mix.

NED BOWMAN (Norwood/St Peter’s College) Half-forward/wing, 17, 186cm

“Ned’s key attributes are his aerial capacity, which was highlighted by his extraordinary mark against the Eagles in Round 3, speed – he’s a very quick operator who covers the ground very fast – and agility to move in and out of stoppages. He also has great endeavour and hunt and offensively is really strong. I see some similar traits to (Port Adelaide’s) Connor Rozee, with his wiggle and fishtail and ability to read the play exceptionally well. The son of Norwood premiership player Lachie Bowman, he kicked 10 goals for us in the first four rounds, illustrating his high scoreboard impact. Ned has X-factor traits and is someone that you love going to the football to watch.’’ – Norwood under-18 coach Alex Newell.

Back