List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Let's send one of our talls to Freo for Erasmus.

I’d like us to have a crack at Erasmus but feel like Freo would be unreasonable given it’s us and he is contracted.

Would rather wait til he is out of contract next year. Can’t see him getting in front of Fyfe, Young, Brayshaw, Serong and Johnson so he will likely be in the same position next year.

Warner is a long shot, but man, we should be all in there. Right age profile and already elite.

Wonder if Pyke has a good relationship with him and can get in his ear.
Pyke is credited with turning the Swans from a primarily defensively minded team into an attacking team. This suits Warner’s game to a tee and I’d be very surprised if they in particular did t work very closely together. I don’t think Pyke would be the difference between getting him out of Sydney or not, but I do think he’ll be the difference between nominating West Coast over Freo if he wants to come home.

Hopefully we’re already also speaking to Corey Warner as there’s a role for him in the team too.

Pyke is credited with turning the Swans from a primarily defensively minded team into an attacking team. This suits Warner’s game to a tee and I’d be very surprised if they in particular did t work very closely together. I don’t think Pyke would be the difference between getting him out of Sydney or not, but I do think he’ll be the difference between nominating West Coast over Freo if he wants to come home.

Hopefully we’re already also speaking to Corey Warner as there’s a role for him in the team too.

When Pyke went to Sydney at the end of 2020 he was their ball movement coach. He was the catalyst for their run in waves ball movement we’ve seen since 2021, which also coincided with Chad becoming a centre square mid x

Would imagine they worked very closely together for the 3 seasons Pyke was there 2021-23.

When Pyke went to Sydney at the end of 2020 he was their ball movement coach. He was the catalyst for their run in waves ball movement we’ve seen since 2021, which also coincided with Chad becoming a centre square mid x

Would imagine they worked very closely together for the 3 seasons Pyke was there 2021-23.

Corey can play for the Beagles lmao. I think he’s on the verge of being delisted.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I really don't wanna hear anyone say Busslinger is priority after that s*** show yesterday.

Currently
-Sheed trew Edwards clearly delist pile
-Yeo and Kelly injuries and age
-reid Hewett chess reuben awesome but need support

Get warner ASAP

lol Busslinger is our top trade priority irrespective of what happens in games this year.

HEdwards isn’t going to be anything more than a break glass option.

A 20 year old KPD who was a first round pick is the most glaring hole in our list structure.

Warner and Busslinger aren’t mutually exclusive.

lol Busslinger is our top trade priority irrespective of what happens in games this year.

HEdwards isn’t going to be anything more than a break glass option.

A 20 year old KPD who was a first round pick is the most glaring hole in our list structure.

Warner and Busslinger aren’t mutually exclusive.
What does being a high draft pick have to do with anything? It's so obvious our engine room needs stacking

What does being a high draft pick have to do with anything? It's so obvious our engine room needs stacking

It’s a proxy for talent, one that probably becomes less relevant the more years you spend in the system.

You’re thinking too much about 2025.

We are building a list for 2026 onwards. We need to replace Gov urgently, and to less extent Barrass.

HEdwards isn’t really AFL viable, I rate Bazzo but we shouldn’t rely on him given his inability to get on the park.

Busslinger - a WA boy, out of contract in an area of need for our list architecture is the most important priority this off season.

Nothing about yesterday’s game changes that, because list priorities don’t change based on week to week results.

I’d like us to have a crack at Erasmus but feel like Freo would be unreasonable given it’s us and he is contracted.

Would rather wait til he is out of contract next year. Can’t see him getting in front of Fyfe, Young, Brayshaw, Serong and Johnson so he will likely be in the same position next year.
If he can't get a game in from of Fyfe and Johnson, I'd be worried about him TBH.

Fyfe has been putrid and Johnson hasn't been much better.

Everything and nothing. Nothing because once you’re picked, the pick means nothing. You’re a player, not a pick and your market value is assigned accordingly. Everything because we are talking about a developing KPD 18 months into his injury affected career.

18 months ago Buss was valued highly by a number of clubs (us included) and that would imply clubs and recruiters saw potential and talent. There’s a number of reasons high picks don’t show what they are capable of at AFL level. Poor player development (Norf), injury (Wardlaw), lack of opportunities (Erasmus) or maybe they just can’t take that extra step (DGB).

Nature vs nurture. Buss had his U18 year and most of first season ruined by a shoulder injury which makes it harder to assess his worth based on his playing ability alone. We have a great history of developing talls and if we can get him over he’ll thrive as the 3rd tall before hopefully taking over Gov’s role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he can't get a game in from of Fyfe and Johnson, I'd be worried about him TBH.

Fyfe has been putrid and Johnson hasn't been much better.

I think Freo have the same selection integrity issues we have had over the last couple of years.

JL isn’t dropping Fyfe for Erasmus, and MJ seems to get preferential treatment.

I agree that Erasmus’ WAFL form has been impressive, but he hasn’t done anything at AFL level to warrant giving anything of value for him, and Freo won’t let him go contracted for peanuts.

So it is hard to see it happen… This year.

Everything and nothing. Nothing because once you’re picked, the pick means nothing. You’re a player, not a pick and your market value is assigned accordingly. Everything because we are talking about a developing KPD 18 months into his injury affected career.

18 months ago Buss was valued highly by a number of clubs (us included) and that would imply clubs and recruiters saw potential and talent. There’s a number of reasons high picks don’t show what they are capable of at AFL level. Poor player development (Norf), injury (Wardlaw), lack of opportunities (Erasmus) or maybe they just can’t take that extra step (DGB).

Nature vs nurture. Buss had his U18 year and most of first season ruined by a shoulder injury which makes it harder to assess his worth based on his playing ability alone. We have a great history of developing talls and if we can get him over he’ll thrive as the 3rd tall before hopefully taking over Gov’s role.
I know all the ins and outs on buss and he would be a good get he's just not priority imo. Everyone seems to have cooled on Baker and English and yet the midfield is our single biggest issue. We need every bit of the salary war chest and those pics we have to get warner over. It's embarrassing we have to rely on harley we should be protecting him

Let's ask North how it's going stacking the engine room while ignoring key position players, shall we?
Barass is fine, bazzo is developing Harry has looked good this year. Yeah govs age is a worry but the quality of football he plays suggest he's still got a couple of years left. Archer Reid can play back also

Barass is fine, bazzo is developing Harry has looked good this year. Yeah govs age is a worry but the quality of football he plays suggest he's still got a couple of years left. Archer Reid can play back also
If we're putting all our eggs in a basket with Bazzo and Edwards, we're in trouble. Bazzo looked good in his early games but has struggled to stay on the ground, Edwards is potentially good depth but that's about it. McGovern is 32, Barrass is 28, we need replacements for both and KPDs take time to develop. True, Reid could play back, but that's a complete unknown, we need a developing KPD, be it Buss or Curtin. Given Buss is out of contract and believed to be wanting to come back, he's a priority.

Baker seems like a certainty anyway, given the rumblings, which should improve the midfield, Sheldrick could be a target, plus whatever our draft pick is this year. Buss can be a priority and we can work on the midfield. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Really torn on getting Baker to the club.

Genuinely good bloke with a great character which will help connect our senior players and younger players. Playing wise, is someone you would love to have on your side. Gets his hands dirty, can play in an area on the ground. What he lacks in skill, he makes up 10 fold in effort and consistency.

I just don't want to part with either of our current top 2 picks, so the club needs to get creative to work a deal.

Pick 3 for GC pick 8 and 9 would be a start (With how the ladder currently stands).

Split one of them again for a pick in high teens and one early twenties (lets say 18 and 23), (Not sure who would be able to do this deal).

Use the high teens pick for Baker.

Go to the draft with;

Pick 8
Pick 21
Pick 23

whilst getting Baker in.

Obviously all picks will slide out again like they always do.

Then need to work a way to get Busslinger in.

Warner postpones talks on contract extension with Swans from the Age

Star midfielder Chad Warner has put contract talks with the Swans on hold as his value continues to soar towards the million-dollar mark.

Presented with a contract extension by the premiership favourites earlier this year, Warner, 23, declined the offer according to football sources in Perth who spoke to this masthead on condition of anonymity so they could talk freely.

Warner is contracted to the Swans until the end of next season and his manager, Luke Morabito, was coy about his client’s future when contacted on Sunday, saying only that he wanted to win a premiership with the Swans.

AFL clubs are under increasing pressure to sign their stars to long-term deals, with the fledgling Tasmanian franchise seeking quality players ahead of their arrival as the competition’s 19th team in 2028. Last month, prolific midfielder Errol Gulden, 21, signed a four-year deal with the Swans following reports he had been offered a ten-year contract by Adelaide.

Drafted from Western Australia, Warner has been a major factor in the Swans’ rise to sit a game and a half clear at the top of the AFL ladder after ten victories from eleven matches, their best start to a season since 1936, when they eventually lost the grand final to Collingwood.

Warner is ahead of Richmond superstar Dustin Martin on several key metrics at the same stage of their careers. Martin has won a Brownlow and three Norm Smith medals, but after 71 AFL matches Warner has more average disposals, contested possessions, inside 50s, tackles, score assists and score involvements per match.

Warner put in another best on ground performance last Thursday night, this time against the Western Bulldogs in Melbourne, with 25 possessions and a game high four goals.

Eyebrows were raised when he told the broadcaster after the match that he was returning to his home town of Perth to visit friends and family because the Swans have a bye this weekend.

There has been intense speculation that Fremantle and West Coast will take the opportunity to informally court Warner.

“Both clubs would be negligent if they didn’t have a crack at him,” another well-placed WA football source said on the condition of anonymity.

West Coast’s general manager of football Gavin Bell made the Eagles’ interest clear to this masthead on Sunday.

“We are aware that Chad has 18 months left on his current contract with Sydney. If Chad wishes to return to Perth at any point to continue his career, we would love to have him play at our Club,” Bell said.

Under AFL rules clubs can approach players but not make them an offer. However, a player manager, who agreed to speak anonymously, told this masthead there was often a “nudge, nudge, wink, wink,” with such discussions.

Fremantle declined to comment, while the Swans have been contacted about Warner’s future but did not respond by the time of publication.

Sydney CEO Tom Harley told SEN radio ahead of Thursday’s match that Warner’s signature is a top priority for the club.

“He’s clearly a priority player for us going forward. He does have another year on his contract,” Harley said. “When you’re working through your list and your priorities, he’s right at the top of that.

“We would love to extend Chad tomorrow beyond 2025 and those conversations will happen at the right pace and the right time, but he’s a very integral part of what we’re doing.”

Swans coach John Longmire tempered his praise of Warner, who dominated on Thursday night after a tight first half.

“He’s learning, isn’t he,” Longmire said after the match. “He’ll keep learning. He played well last week and there’s another challenge next week.

“Chad played a bit differently in the third quarter and was able to hit the scoreboard and was pretty dynamic. That is a good sign. That he’s able to switch on like that and get himself going in the second half was a credit to him.”

If Swans win the GF this year and he still remains without signing a new deal I reckon he'll be gettable and the very minimum we put to the Swans is our first pick.

If Swans win the GF this year and he still remains without signing a new deal I reckon he'll be gettable and the very minimum we put to the Swans is our first pick.

Tbh I’d give our first and second this year.

Maybe that’s why we are so stingy with Baker trade?

Could see Baker ending up like Graham to port and getting pushed aside by a bigger name player.

Back