List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Hello, pardon the introduction.

Bar Adelaide, the trade relationship between most non Vic teams has been reasonable..WCE and my mob have been decent for each other. Here are some quick points about The Chad.

1. He is contracted until end 2025.
2. He will not be a RFA.
3. For him to be tempted, his camp may want
  • $1.6m pa for 10 years (plus incentives) from a club not in immediate Finals contention
  • $1.4m pa for 10 years, plus incentives from a club in regular contention
  • The Corey to be traded with him and on a decent wage $500k + …. So a family friendly deal.
  • Wise suitors would surely factor that in
  • The usual Vic prospects will look to pay up and maybe cough up jobs for family members via friendly corporates.
4. Sydney will be desperate to keep him. Doubt they go past $1.3m pa. If they lose him and Corey, the Club will ask your mob for Reid + a future 1st. If not Reid it would mean writing yourselves out of two years of drafts plus Ginbey.
5. After Dawson we are wary about being ripped off. We’d ask Freo for Pearce, Serong plus a 1 and F 1 and 2.
6. No acceptable deal with anyone and the Warners can gallop off to Norf. Good luck to them there.
7. The Warners seem pretty happy in Sydney, are popular internally, admired by fans and playing with a team that is going reasonably well.

I'll bite because well I can.

WCE are a bottom 3 side and likely will be even with say Warner next year. The best deal and I mean the best deal offered will be 2024+2025 first round picks with nothing coming back. You get likely at worst pick 3 this year and 1-5 next year.

Warner is at peak value however his footskills can be lacking at times and he hasn't put in a couple of years being the number 1 mid in the side either. Shit this year he over the course of the year has been your number 2 mid and you want more than what is likely two top 3 picks.

If a trade doesn't happen, it doesn't happen but that is the best offer you will get.

The clubs second round pick this year will be offered to the bulldogs for Busslinger. We don't have a third round this year. Without your club going behind the back and offering overs for one of our players (like your sneaky ****ing manager did last time when Jetta wanted to come home and you got Sinclair) those not only are the picks that are available but it's also the best offer your club is going to get.

We’re not offering 3 and our F1 which will be a top 5 pick for Warner. I’d say no one in the history of the sport has commanded that in a trade.
Not saying we should try and trade for him this year, however, you think if we add Warner to Reid and Ginbey, with Yeo and Kelly still running around, that next year’s pick is top 5?

If Sydney win the flag this year and next - if you were Warner would you want to head back to Perth or try for a 3rd?
Provided they can keep their players together there's not many at Sydney who would retire due to age in the next 2-3 years I wouldnt think.

If Sydney win the flag this year and next - if you were Warner would you want to head back to Perth or try for a 3rd?
Provided they can keep their players together there's not many at Sydney who would retire due to age in the next 2-3 years I wouldnt think.
If he really wants to come home he may do so anyway. He may not feel like he owes the club anything by leaving when theyre so close, a cup means they got the job done

I think Freo have the same selection integrity issues we have had over the last couple of years.

JL isn’t dropping Fyfe for Erasmus, and MJ seems to get preferential treatment.

I agree that Erasmus’ WAFL form has been impressive, but he hasn’t done anything at AFL level to warrant giving anything of value for him, and Freo won’t let him go contracted for peanuts.

So it is hard to see it happen… This year.
Yep, Erasmus is slow and average kick.
Sure he can find the footy but that isn't enough.
Also the previous suggestion that we swap a tall for him. Purples are reasonably well stocked for talls

Sid was solid but not spectacular in his first champs outing for 2024. My guess is that he's still searching for match fitness and form after his long injury layoff - he had a strong opening half before fading out of the game and there was a lot of hands on head or knees sucking in the big ones in the second half. His defensive efforts in particular we poor at times.

Based on very limited footage I've seen, he looks like a pretty complete player.
Finds plenty of ball
Pretty clean ball handling
Finds his was around tacklers
Strong runner with link-up game
I've heard there's knocks on his kicking but it looks reliable enough

does he get first hands on ball at stoppage regularly. Though the eagles have hewett & reid for this, & maybe ginbey in time

Some nobody from a second-rate media outlet. Guarantee he has NFI about West Coast intentions. Unless your name is Ryan daniels, its all guesswork.

Re Hutchinson, a medium marking forward should be our lowest priority at the moment. Hope we go a different way

Unrelated, but Ruscoe nominating isn't a guarantee we're taking him. For example, we may have told him we'll take him if our first priority is not available at 3.

I have learnt over the years to read Eagles speak V Media speak when prospective players are linked to us.

Media speak :
West Coast are linked to player X.

West Coast speak :
That’s a guarantee that we are not taking player X he is a smoke screen.

Media speak :
West Coast have shown no interest in player Y.

West Coast speak :
We have made our assessment and decision and we are not letting on who our intended target is.

I am aware that it was widely known who we would take in the MSD the last two years, but when you have pick 1 the intrigue is not quite as relevant.

If they are to be believed neither Cully or Maric knew that we were taking them until their names were called out.
Both knew that we had interest in them but neither knew for sure until they heard their names read out.
Ha ha and with Culley & Maric there was absolutely nothing to be gained from keeping the secret, but we did it anyhow.....

Hello, pardon the introduction.

Bar Adelaide, the trade relationship between most non Vic teams has been reasonable..WCE and my mob have been decent for each other. Here are some quick points about The Chad.

1. He is contracted until end 2025.
2. He will not be a RFA.
3. For him to be tempted, his camp may want
  • $1.6m pa for 10 years (plus incentives) from a club not in immediate Finals contention
  • $1.4m pa for 10 years, plus incentives from a club in regular contention
  • The Corey to be traded with him and on a decent wage $500k + …. So a family friendly deal.
  • Wise suitors would surely factor that in
  • The usual Vic prospects will look to pay up and maybe cough up jobs for family members via friendly corporates.
4. Sydney will be desperate to keep him. Doubt they go past $1.3m pa. If they lose him and Corey, the Club will ask your mob for Reid + a future 1st. If not Reid it would mean writing yourselves out of two years of drafts plus Ginbey.
5. After Dawson we are wary about being ripped off. We’d ask Freo for Pearce, Serong plus a 1 and F 1 and 2.
6. No acceptable deal with anyone and the Warners can gallop off to Norf. Good luck to them there.
7. The Warners seem pretty happy in Sydney, are popular internally, admired by fans and playing with a team that is going reasonably well.
Ha ha ha ha ha Reid & F1.
Show yourself out

Thank you for the considered reply.

Firstly I’d be appalled if Chad ended up at Norf at end 25. (They are sure to finish last again next year). Talent and enjoyment of playing footy dies there. They would wave $2.0m + pa which they have.

You are right Chad has not signalled his intent and we are ages away. Meanwhile with this form his value keeps rising, while he and Corey seem as happy as Larry in Sydney and at the Club. (Corey copped a bad concussion a couple of weeks ago, so he would not be as happy as Chad)

We have been lucky with our WA recruits (bar Elijah Taylor). The Warners, Logan and Gus are ripping young people and have made really good contributions to the Club on and off the field. Of the four, Sheldrick may prove the best, if the poor bloke gets a break with injury.
Sheldrick potentially better than Warner? Surely not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top draft pick this year likely goes on mid, I still see a gap for an elite distributing hbf, wing and small forward that has genuine goal kicking nouse, which as much as I love long I don’t think he’s quite that hill/weightman type.

If we’re confident of landing Warner next year I’d be leaning to splitting this years pick prioritising travaglia as the elite hbf and looking to get a skillful hard running wingman at the second pick and speculating on a small forward or KPD with our fourth.

Reid, Warner, hewett/ginbey probably provides enough top level talent in a midfield that second tier players can be rotated through and still compete.

I can’t remember the last premiership team that had a genuinely all over elite midfield like Voss, black, aker, lappin or cox, cousins, Judd and Kerr

Not saying we should try and trade for him this year, however, you think if we add Warner to Reid and Ginbey, with Yeo and Kelly still running around, that next year’s pick is top 5?

It doesn’t matter. We are still in a talent acquisition phase. We can’t spend 2 firsts- likely pick 3 and another first on one player.

Dont want Warner.
First of all the price will be high and we won't get the peak 2024 version who is probably a top 30-40 player in the comp but a long way off being indispensable.

For an outside leaning player he's not a great kick, and is like the 3rd mid in a good team.

Screams the kind of Jeff Farmer/Wellingham/Kelly type of trade who will never be able to back up after a standout season in a gf level team.

Based on very limited footage I've seen, he looks like a pretty complete player.
Finds plenty of ball
Pretty clean ball handling
Finds his was around tacklers
Strong runner with link-up game
I've heard there's knocks on his kicking but it looks reliable enough

does he get first hands on ball at stoppage regularly. Though the eagles have hewett & reid for this, & maybe ginbey in time
He's not Matt Rowell inside but he finds his fair share.

We won't be pushing the boat out for anyone at the end of this season, we are still too far away from being competiitive.

End of next season we might. If a player is out of contract, then they come cheaper, especially if they get offers that their current team who are are loaded with players who will be getting paid can't match.

Lets park the Warner talks to mid next year, if he's not signed on then we can start talking about what it will take.

Last edited:

Rhys Mathiesons drug test could be interesting

So Youre Telling Me Theres A Chance GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

1716852968393.png

Back