Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had an email from my gym saying I needed to upload my vaccination certificate ahead of the 31st to continue access.

Anyone else been starting to get similar requests for places out of curiosity?
Yep, my gym sent the same

Just had an email from my gym saying I needed to upload my vaccination certificate ahead of the 31st to continue access.

That's a big call by that gym. They now need to make sure they store your medical information securely, or there are big legal issues.

The construction industry got it right. Put up a sign and send everyone an email notifying them of the requirements. It is their onus to comply. Businesses aren't the vaccine police. The Government needs to take responsibility to enforce their laws.

You know what there are plenty of?? Hospitalisations and deaths over east. Self interest over public interest is what it boils down to. As sad as some people’s individual circumstances are, it still all comes down to that. If you asked the people who would prefer to keep the borders closed, why, they would likely say to keep people safe. If you asked the same question to those who want it open, it would be seeing family or financial.
To what end?

Covid-zero is not a thing, unless you advocate for leaving WA permanently locked off.

We have done the hard yards, got vaccinated, set up systems and processes. At some point you have to move on.

That's a big call by that gym. They now need to make sure they store your medical information securely, or there are big legal issues.

The construction industry got it right. Put up a sign and send everyone an email notifying them of the requirements. It is their onus to comply. Businesses aren't the vaccine police. The Government needs to take responsibility to enforce their laws.

See the posts above, all gyms are now doing this by the looks of it....

Businesses do need to check this actually, they need to make sure their customers are complying otherwise they are the ones who cop fines for not enforcing it.

You know what there are plenty of?? Hospitalisations and deaths over east. Self interest over public interest is what it boils down to. As sad as some people’s individual circumstances are, it still all comes down to that. If you asked the people who would prefer to keep the borders closed, why, they would likely say to keep people safe. If you asked the same question to those who want it open, it would be seeing family or financial.

There's posts in this thread from people who want it to remain closed purely for financial and lifestyle reasons (and that's perfectly fine with me btw)

Your generalisations are complete bollocks

Agreed we have to move on, but I think opening up before all the 5-11 year olds have the chance to be fully vaccinated is risky. Not just for the kids, they’d likely be fine, but for the fact that schools will always stay open, which then puts all the teachers and staff at risk of infection, and then spreading it around. What’s our booster rate at the moment? 25%? If boosters are our best chance of keeping people out of hospital, then maybe we need that number to be higher before opening up?

Says 50% of AFL players have had Covid already. Surely not?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that figure is correct.

Almost 80% of AFL players are based outside of WA, in states that have been "living" with Covid for over a month now.

Two-thirds come from Victoria and NSW, which combined have been posting six figure new cases daily for two weeks.

Considering all that is needed is for one player or staff member to cause spread throughout a club, the odds that a majority of players have already been exposed and infected to some extent is significant.

Yep. Got the same email on Tuesday from my gym (part of the Anytime Fitness group)

Yep. Got the same email on Tuesday from my gym (part of the Anytime Fitness group)

Haha i'm Anytime as well but only got mine today :(

Ah well at least I didn't get it on the 30th

Only annoying this was I had to do the same form a few times if you want to access multiple locations (first world problems)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To what end?

Covid-zero is not a thing, unless you advocate for leaving WA permanently locked off.

We have done the hard yards, got vaccinated, set up systems and processes. At some point you have to move on.
That is not correct.
Covid-zero is still a thing today - 20th Jan 2022 in WA.
Please note that it is still a thing in some WA remote communities as planned even after reopening.

"Keep the masses safe" - the vast, vast majority of the population will not suffer any major health issues from COVID. Keeping the borders shut only protects a tiny minority.

Keep in mind that opening the borders doesn't mean a free for all. Hell, even just allowing people to come in to WA with 14 day quarantine would be a start that has few health risks to the wider population.

Either way, I think the argument is redundant. The border is opening on the 5th, McGowan has continually said so. Omicron is already circulating with untracked community transmission. The genie won't go back in the bottle - we will be moving on to living with COVID.

I think you're underselling the risk of long Covid. According to this the majority of people who recover from Covid still have symptoms for a long time afterwards. I'm not saying these symptoms are serious, but there's bound to be a significant percentage where the symptoms are somewhat serious and actually caused by the infection, so vast, vast majority is definitely a misnomer.

That's from October before Omicron, but we don't know enough about long term Omicron effects yet because it just hasn't been around very long.

I think the possibility should be acknowledged that hindsight could prove opening up on Feb 5th wasn't the least bad option.

Yeah, even the security guards at shopping centres aren't enforcing it anymore I've noticed. People are just walking into wherever and not bothering to check in. Having said that, with 10s of thousands of infections, is there even a point any more?

I don't think there is much point to checking in - unless it is required when showing a vax certificate.

The rules seem to differ everywhere, but here in Victoria I think if I were to check in and be deemed a close contact I still wouldn't have to isolate anyway if I was asymptomatic and did a negative RAT (if I could get one!). Due to my employer status (considered essential) - regardless of my employment status (I've been working from home since mid-last-year so clearly my attendance on-site isn't essential).

So yeah, check in everywhere but do nothing about it unless symptomatic - which is the same thing as if I get symptoms then get a test (which of course I will do). Checking in adds very little except time....

That is not correct.
Covid-zero is still a thing today - 20th Jan 2022 in WA.
Please note that it is still a thing in some WA remote communities as planned even after reopening.
To clarify - Covid-zero is not at thing going forward, unless you want to be a hermit kingdom which is frankly far-exceeding the government's mandate.

Nah my gym is in my garage so I don't have to share it with sweaty strangers best thing I did at the start of the pandemic .

To clarify - Covid-zero is not at thing going forward, unless you want to be a hermit kingdom which is frankly far-exceeding the government's mandate.
That‘s better.
Also there are parts of WA remain Covid-zero after reopen and it is our responsibilty as WA residents to respect the Covid-zero policy in those communities.

Yep

Yeah mine said someone at the gym will need to check it and mark me off as having one, otherwise access will be cut off on the 31st.

Not really. They already have privacy obligations with respect to personal information of members and adding details of COVID-19 vaccination history isn't going to make their security obligations or penalties for breach much more onerous (if at all).

Gyms would face huge practical issues if they had to have staff manually checking each member's phone and driver's licnece as they enter, so this approach makes sense.

I suspect they would face harsher penalties for not adequately checking vaccinations than for unwittingly disclosing a person's vaccination details.

I feel for the mandated places that dont have any member system so this type of thing isnt' readily achieveable. E.g. my local bottleshop is independent and has no member system. It also has both a front and back entrance and normally only 2 people working. I'm not sure how they will manage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back