2nds Crows in the SANFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor game of footy. Poor advertisement for footy. The game is degenerating into 36 blokes wrestling for the ball for 120 minutes. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I reckon footy used to be better than today's game.

I agree, it's like watching a highly skilled game of under 8's football.

Was a poor game from the Bloods today. No run, couldn't hit a player if their life depended on it and couldn't kick straight when given the opportunity. Crouchy was quiet, but showed glimpses. Laid an absolute bone crushing tackle right in front of me on the southern HFF members side early in the third.

He's still young, built like a brick house. He is going to be a player, just give him time though.

Nathan Basset said "Ross Lyon? No, we can do better", put in a phone call to England and said "Hello England? I'd like to speak to Sam Allardyce please". I'm a Norwood fan, but that was just dire watching, especially in the first half. Even in the second half, 8 goals to the good and belting Westies in the middle, Norwood were playing 3 to 5 loose men behind the ball at all times.

My other observation is that Crouch does not handle the pressure well. At all. Someone posted earlier he was tagged out of the game? Poppycock. He was timid at the contest and on many occasions did not go into the packs like I'm assured he did against North the week before, and when he did get the ball on the outside he crumbled badly under perceived and real pressure, decision making poor more often than not. He'd seriously want to work on that if he's going to even contribute in AFL finals, let alone stand up.

Cut the kid some slack. So the youngest member of a team that was completely outplayed all day had a quieter game than usual. More than a few times he was ignored by team-mates when he had made good position and he layed an awesome tackle in the 3rd qtr that stopped a norwood player in his tracks. Only once did I think he could have gone a bit harder but there was another westies player at the contest as well. Westies were under a heap of pressure for most of the game and a lot of their kicks were clearing an area in hope rather than to a target.

I was impressed with Luke Browns disposal today. Got a heap of it roaming the backline and it was good to see his teammates trusting him as the link man at half back. A couple of his passes were pinpoint over 40m+ which was good to see.

Also, i agree with the other thread, Aish was super impressive.

last week Roy Laird to a swipe at the ultra defensive numbers behind tha ball style of footy that has crept into the sanfl this year, sounds like the GF was a reflection of this

He has just turned 17, of course he will have slight flaws in his game ffs! Doesn't mean he hasn't had a brilliant year and won't make a nice transition to AFL footy next year. He handled the pressure pretty bloody well last week as well, no need to panic. This isn't a senior player we are talking about, this is a kid playing in a strong league when most of his peers are in the much easier U/18 comp.
Actually, I think you'll find he's 18 and rapidly approaching his 19th birthday. Isn't his DOB (19th birthday) in January?

Was at the game today. Shocking game, and to be expected based on the previous match ups between Norwood and West.

The Bloods were just about a disgrace today, and their game style isn't good for the SANFL and football in general. Full marks to them getting to the GF, but by Geez it was hard to watch.

Went to see Crouch play live, and he just couldn't get into the match. Though the entire Bloods team couldn't (120 less disposals), so its hardly a massive blight on Crouch.

Great crowd, great atmosphere, terrible football. Skill level was poor, and the tactics employed by both teams were very negative.

Well done to Norwood on winning the flag. It wouldn't have felt right if any other team won it, considering the year they've had.

Was a poor game from the Bloods today. No run, couldn't hit a player if their life depended on it and couldn't kick straight when given the opportunity. Crouchy was quiet, but showed glimpses. Laid an absolute bone crushing tackle right in front of me on the southern HFF members side early in the third.

He's still young, built like a brick house. He is going to be a player, just give him time though.

Damn, could have come to say hi, I saw that tackle right in front of me to!

Took the out-laws visiting from Canada to the game today. Very disappointed with the game, last years was a far better game.

Very impressed with the crowd though, good turn out and good atmosphere despite the poor game quality.

Was a westies man back in they day (I can't really claim I follow them anymore given I barely get to games) and was very sad to see such a poor showing from them. Never really gave themselves a chance to win but Norwood were a class above anyway.

in reference to crouch, laird is about 2 and a bit weeks older but was eligible.

What were your thoughts on Laird's omission. I was surprised...

On Crouch... A week is a long time in footy. Hands down best on last week in a prelim (not to mention close to it 2 weeks prior v Centrals) and suddenly were questioning his big game temperament? His team got belted, did anyone from Westies really enhance their reputation today? Ridiculous.

i wasn't too surprised, he looked pretty stuffed after the game vs north. it was he first full season of footy, he played pretty much every game through the season, and missed out to ben fisher, who was playing his 100th. i doubt he would've made any real difference, everyone out there looked absolutely buggered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What were your thoughts on Laird's omission. I was surprised...

On Crouch... A week is a long time in footy. Hands down best on last week in a prelim (not to mention close to it 2 weeks prior v Centrals) and suddenly were questioning his big game temperament? His team got belted, did anyone from Westies really enhance their reputation today? Ridiculous.

Exactly. The whole team was flat, unfair to signal out one player.

James Aish is 16, and he was silk.

I'm not saying Crouch is a bad player, I'm saying he currently has a question mark over his ability to perform in big finals. Two finals in a row against the minor/major premier and he was belted out of the game without so much as a whimper. Neon Leon was a very good player who won an AA shirt, but couldn't perform in finals to save his life. It really is an issue that bears consideration, discussion, observation, whatever.

The kid has probably never played with a proper tag before by a guy who is either the same size or bigger than himself. Give him time like any other midfielder to come into the league, learn how to break tags, and become a more rounded footballer. I very much doubt he'll be tagged in the first couple years at senior level, so he has plenty of time.

Was indeed awful to watch. Westies were my old team pre-crows but jesus they were inept :(

Brown put in a good show though and after seeing Crouch last week I'm confident we've got a couple gems coming through.

James Aish is 16, and he was silk.

I'm not saying Crouch is a bad player, I'm saying he currently has a question mark over his ability to perform in big finals. Two finals in a row against the minor/major premier and he was belted out of the game without so much as a whimper. Neon Leon was a very good player who won an AA shirt, but couldn't perform in finals to save his life. It really is an issue that bears consideration, discussion, observation, whatever.

Mate, seriously, this is just outrageous nonsense. To follow up your McKernan rubbish, and he is going to make you look like a stupid, stupid boy next year.

Go to bed, find a hole and make it a goal, do something. Get out of here. Whatever you're currently doing, it's making you see the world silly.

It's a valid criticism.

Not really. Westies were getting belted all over the ground today. Nothing was working for them. He seemed to do just fine the week before whilst copping a lot of attention.

Not only did Collins walk his team off before Bassett spoke he also didn't stick around for the opposing captain. Even if Collins was pissed with Bassett he shouldn't have been childish about it and made Westies look poorly.

As a Norwood supporter I'd be the first the to complain if West hadn't shown respect but the blame can be laid at the feet of the SANFL here. West sat through the medal presentation to all players then the presentation of the cup, which generally is done after the captain and coach speak; it wasn't done in this order yesterday with the cup being presented before the speeches. Ryan Ferguson spoke well; it's hardly Collins's fault is the running order was arse up.

That being said, Westies have some good tall forwards, given a better chance they could do a lot more damage if given more chances.

PS - Jaryd Cachia was excellent today - hope Brisbane have a look at him before you guys do.

I pretty much went to the game today to see Crouch play. The things I noticed were:

1) He is a lot taller than i expected. For some reason i had the feeling he was a small nuggety midfielder like a Mitchell however he is actually surprisingly tall. This is obviously a massive bonus because if neccessary he will be able to push forward/back or whatever and use his height to take marks

2) People (including danger) saying he can bench as much as Danger are talking smack (not the player). Like i said i am very pleasantly surprised by how tall he is but there is no way he IMO has anywhere near the strength of the Immortal 1

3) Did anyone else notice that today for some reason Crouch seemed to be about 15-20m hanging away from the pack on the Westies side the goal? I'm sure this was some sort of plan by the Westies (??) Coach however it didnt seem do come off once. Me and my m8 were commenting on it then the next play when it was a centre-boune straight away when Crouch was in the thick of it he got a clearance. I'm not sure whether that is why he had a less effective game than last week but it seemed to me that he was playing a different role which was not allowing him go get anywhere near the ball most of the time. Did anyone else see this?

Edit - 3) Perhaps they were hoping they would get the small clearance out of the pack and use Crouch to dispose of it well but it seemed to never get to him

The SANFL is generally two to three years behind the AFL - I'm guessing that the style will change, as it has done over time, and more attacking footy will occur. Simple things like playing one or two guys deep in attack forces the defending side to cover them and change the defensive set-up.

I pretty much went to the game today to see Crouch play. The things I noticed were:

1) He is a lot taller than i expected. For some reason i had the feeling he was a small nuggety midfielder like a Mitchell however he is actually surprisingly tall. This is obviously a massive bonus because if neccessary he will be able to push forward/back or whatever and use his height to take marks

2) People (including danger) saying he can bench as much as Danger are talking smack (not the player). Like i said i am very pleasantly surprised by how tall he is but there is no way he IMO has anywhere near the strength of the Immortal 1

3) Did anyone else notice that today for some reason Crouch seemed to be about 15-20m hanging away from the pack on the Westies side the goal? I'm sure this was some sort of plan by the Westies (??) Coach however it didnt seem do come off once. Me and my m8 were commenting on it then the next play when it was a centre-boune straight away when Crouch was in the thick of it he got a clearance. I'm not sure whether that is why he had a less effective game than last week but it seemed to me that he was playing a different role which was not allowing him go get anywhere near the ball most of the time. Did anyone else see this?

Wasn't it Danger himself who said that? What makes Dangerfield a bull out on the oval is that he's ridiculously strong through the core, which is not terribly important during a bench press.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back