Past Dan Hannebery - traded 2018, to St Kilda for packet of Samboys (BBQ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bah... We :heart: you Hanners.

Hopefully the Saints don't completely ruin the end of his career with their questionable injury management.

(N.b. Have a look at the Saints injury list over the past 5 years & compare to the AFL standard... lots of soft tissues & "use" injuries IMO)
It’s not the Saints fault. He was cooked when they took him.

I see it as a package deal with membrey, they owed us.

I suspect hanners knew there was a likelihood his body was stuffed and had to take the long deal to secure his future otherwise he'd be on half his current salary atm and possibly looking at potential retirement, or fighting for a career and taking any offer from a desperate club.

What players did we draft as a result of the trade involving him? He's only played 15 games in 4 years with them...

On paper, the draft package Sydney received for Hannebery might not amount to an overwhelming success. Pick No.39 was used to help match the points required to secure Blakey after a bid was lodged at pick No.10, while a future second-round selection was used on Elijah Taylor – a player delisted after just four senior games following a string of off-field indiscretions.

The Saints, for their part, also received pick No.28 alongside Hannebery. They swapped that selection to the Demons, receiving picks No.36 and No.46 in return. Those became Jack Bytel, who is 12 games into a promising career, and Matthew Parker, who was delisted last year after 19 senior appearances.

In hindsight the Saints took a terrible risk on Hanners. He did seem to have a history since 2016 where his body just never gave him any continuity.

We took the same punt with Daniel Bradshaw and Steven Tingay. Maybe not to the financial sense but we hoped we could get them right for the reward.

The Lions took the same punt with Daniher. Massive risk with his injury history but it has paid off well for them. Can’t blame the Saints for taking a punt on a champion player like Hanners.

I just feel bad for him that his career didn’t finish in a way more deserving to him individually.

Honestly if St Kilda thought they could get his body right the risk was worth it , it just had to be a shorter contract.

Hanners on his day was one of the best midfielders in the AFL.

Imagine if we had a fit Hannebery in our midfield currently... I would put us at premiership favourites.

I assumed from these posts, he had retired.

Played his first game back in the VFL over the weekend and had 29 possessions in 3 quarters.

Hopefully he can still play seniors again this year or next. I actually thought he looked pretty good in his very limited appearances for St Kilda.

His still got the quality when his on the park, that's not the question.

I hope he gets back as well, still rate him.

I assumed from these posts, he had retired.

Played his first game back in the VFL over the weekend and had 29 possessions in 3 quarters.

Hopefully he can still play seniors again this year or next. I actually thought he looked pretty good in his very limited appearances for St Kilda.

Ha good call my post certainly was written as though it was probably over for him. That’s a good return, they may have to roll the dice and rush him back with their season on the faintest of lines of being over.

29 disposals, seven inside-50s, four clearances

Hanners was great too. He’s got this different type of intensity, both in how he runs and how he plays, it is good for our VFL lads to see. His leadership was obviously invaluable, and he was important to helping us secure the win. He played his role and pulled up well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of me selfishly wishes he retired this year, and he could go out in round 23 carried off by the Swans players, possibly with his old partner in crime JPK.

He was never a Saint. He was just a Swan who earned $800k for four years at the St Kilda retirement retreat as reward for his years of service to us.

Part of me selfishly wishes he retired this year, and he could go out in round 23 carried off by the Swans players, possibly with his old partner in crime JPK.

Buddy would be a good replacement in carrying Hanners off. Hanners was obviously beside himself when Buddy arrived and the two quickly formed a friendship.

Who would have thought Bud's career would outlast Hanners'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back