Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think that will naturally improve as his tank does I don't think its too far off most KPFs at his age, be different convo if we were sitting here discussing it in 2 more preseasons and he was still having periods of long rests.

The reason I think he cops heat atm is missing critical easy set shots and dropping a lot of easy marks often on leads he has gotten separation ie little pressure. This sticks in peoples minds as it is basic amateur footy level skills that he is erring.

Same thing with Taylor Adams and his kicking, he makes a few blunders a game. Usually direct turnovers streaming un-pressured, trying to bullet pass and this really sticks in peoples minds and hence they lambaste him as an inherently bad kick.
But equally he will pull off some great passes during the same game imo he needs to work on not trying to kick the leather off it and kick to advantage so players can run onto it. Atm he tries to kick it hard fast and low to where the player is rather then where the player should go. Imo his issues are fixable.

I have to disagree with the bolded. There were a number of occasions on Saturday where he was anchored to the HFF as we were exiting D50 and he failed to present down the line as an option. On the flip side Ryder, Trengove and Dixon provided a fantastic long option on a number of occasions for Port players on the rebound.

Without Cloke and with Moore as the sole KPF it becomes essential that he presents to the wing in order to provide that outlet. It wasn't an issue with his tank because it was coming from stop play situations, but rather a conscious decision to not present. I lean towards it being a coaching directive rather than a lack of desire from Moore to hunt the ball because he started to provide that option in the final term which is also at odds with it being a tank issue.

Can Mooney made some fantastic comments on Liam Jones through the week in terms of work rate and making a contest. It's a simple numbers game. If you can win say 50% of all the contests you make as a KPF if you present to 30-40 a game you're impact will be much greater than the maybe 20 Moore was drawn to.

I have to disagree with the bolded. There were a number of occasions on Saturday where he was anchored to the HFF as we were exiting D50 and he failed to present down the line as an option. On the flip side Ryder, Trengove and Dixon provided a fantastic long option on a number of occasions for Port players on the rebound.

Without Cloke and with Moore as the sole KPF it becomes essential that he presents to the wing in order to provide that outlet. It wasn't an issue with his tank because it was coming from stop play situations, but rather a conscious decision to not present. I lean towards it being a coaching directive rather than a lack of desire from Moore to hunt the ball because he started to provide that option in the final term which is also at odds with it being a tank issue.

Can Mooney made some fantastic comments on Liam Jones through the week in terms of work rate and making a contest. It's a simple numbers game. If you can win say 50% of all the contests you make as a KPF if you present to 30-40 a game you're impact will be much greater than the maybe 20 Moore was drawn to.

Could be either he was stuffed or been instructed to hold his line.

I think it will improve with time whether through instruction/training or/plus running power increasing.

He is still learning the game, Ryder, Trengove and Dixon in their 3rd years also were guilty of it.

I agree it needs to improve just think it will naturally in time so not as overly concerned about it as of now.

It pissed me of on Saturday in the first half that he wasn't presenting.......he left it up to Crocker to lead into the spaces that he should have been.

I hope when Cox comes in this week that Moore plays at half forward and pinch hits in the ruck. I think his year has improved after he went into the ruck.

It pissed me of on Saturday in the first half that he wasn't presenting.......he left it up to Crocker to lead into the spaces that he should have been.

I hope when Cox comes in this week that Moore plays at half forward and pinch hits in the ruck. I think his year has improved after he went into the ruck.

He has no experienced heads around him showing him how it is done, Cloke may not have of had a great year for us had he stayed but he would of done a lot of teaching Darcy how and when to lead and the required work rate needed.
On top of this still would of commanded a top line defender which alleviates pressure on Darcy as well as give us a bail out option.

I wasn't at the game so didn't realise how bad the issue is with him standing still from watching on TV, you see it some times when they pan down field from behind the player who marks on the wing. Which infuriates me as its what Amateur footballers do but he isn't alone ALL our forwards bar Elliott do it.

Might be something the clubs works on with him over offseason.

Darcy Moore reminds me of a young Riewoldt - physically speaking. I remember I watched The Footy Show in about 2004, yeah I know The Footy Show I know I know... haven't watched in the past ten years but anyway... Riewoldt asks Tarrant, how do you bulk up like that and get the dukes you've got because I'm pumping up in the gym and getting nothing. Taz - just keep at it eventually you'll get definition.

Now Darcy is IMO as far as being physically developed, he's in the same boat at the same age as Riewoldt. He keeps pumping weights at the gym he'll bulk up eventually.

Personally I did a lot of gym from 19-20-21 and didn't get the superficial results, probably got stronger, - got to 22 and bam, that's when my body started filling out. When Moore fills out he will be a much improved player to what he is right now. Even on the Vegan diet, if he hits the weights the definition will come, similar to Nick Reiwoldt who's physical development was probably not to dissimilar to what we will see with Moore IMO.

He has no experienced heads around him showing him how it is done, Cloke may not have of had a great year for us had he stayed but he would of done a lot of teaching Darcy how and when to lead and the required work rate needed.
On top of this still would of commanded a top line defender which alleviates pressure on Darcy as well as give us a bail out option.

I wasn't at the game so didn't realise how bad the issue is with him standing still from watching on TV, you see it some times when they pan down field from behind the player who marks on the wing. Which infuriates me as its what Amateur footballers do but he isn't alone ALL our forwards bar Elliott do it.

Might be something the clubs works on with him over offseason.

I was at the game loki and in the first quarter he was at my end of the ground. I watched him closely and he didn't present at all.

Reid should have been forward from the first quarter. Elliott is a massive loss........he knows how and when to lead and I think Moore misses him at the moment.

I was at the game loki and in the first quarter he was at my end of the ground. I watched him closely and he didn't present at all.

Reid should have been forward from the first quarter. Elliott is a massive loss........he knows how and when to lead and I think Moore misses him at the moment.

Ah yeah I didn't really see that on TV then I take back what I said Scodog10 that needs to be addressed now.

You can tell there isn't alot of movement when we hold the ball up on the wing etc but didn't know Moore was leading the static charge.

I could argue Elliot is our most important player now.

Daniher is the better comparison imo. Even then he had a year where he basically played in a VFL quality side vs AFL teams.

Also its not a positive for him when the others were getting more ball directed through them early days.

You missed the key part that he was injured and missed a lot of games in 2 of his 3 years.

Btw I am not arguing Darcy wont be any good rather that the Lynch comparison is not really relevant given the vastly different circumstances of the two's first 3 years.
That was his 4th year that all the players were banned. I understand what you are saying about Lynch, being the third tall is a dual edge sord it makes it easier to win the contest when the ball is kicked to you but gives you less opportunities. I was more putting up the comparisons to help generate some positivity as people are always saying he was a mile off

But there you go, Port had Trengove Dixon and Ryder all spent a lot longer in the system and have their workloads spread more evenly.

You would think it would be a coaching directive that he holds structure deeper in the forward but i agree with you we desperately needed more options coming to meet the push out of defense and through the middle. The interesting thing for me was the ease of which port bounced the footy from our half forward, catching us on the rebound cutting us to pieces with overlap ,would have thought if Moore was holding structure and helping to create a contest we should have been able to apply some sort of pressure to restrict there flow.

But there you go, Port had Trengove Dixon and Ryder all spent a lot longer in the system and have their workloads spread more evenly.

Is that honestly your takeaway from my line of posting? I made mention twice that he seemed to be holding his position under instruction rather than any lack of physical advancement. Time in the system is not the issue. toughy though seemed to be spot on with their assessment!

I thought he was quite poor today which is good because his form in the last two months has raised my expectations.

Started quietly but worked his way into the game. Think earlier in the game he was a victim of our transition and F50 entry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think that will naturally improve as his tank does I don't think its too far off most KPFs at his age, be different convo if we were sitting here discussing it in 2 more preseasons and he was still having periods of long rests.

The reason I think he cops heat atm is missing critical easy set shots and dropping a lot of easy marks often on leads he has gotten separation ie little pressure. This sticks in peoples minds as it is basic amateur footy level skills that he is erring.

Same thing with Taylor Adams and his kicking, he makes a few blunders a game. Usually direct turnovers streaming un-pressured, trying to bullet pass and this really sticks in peoples minds and hence they lambaste him as an inherently bad kick.
But equally he will pull off some great passes during the same game imo he needs to work on not trying to kick the leather off it and kick to advantage so players can run onto it. Atm he tries to kick it hard fast and low to where the player is rather then where the player should go. Imo his issues are fixable.

Agree. His actual TOG% has basically increased as well since he started taking the 2nd ruck role which likely compounds this.

I think your both right.
They have different roles and are equally important in what they bring to the team.

Throw in Howe and you've got the trifector, Grundy and you've got the quady

Wouldn't worry too much about Moore Dave, he is going to be a beauty. Just give him time.

Thought I saw something flash up on the Fox coverage last week that he has kicked the most goals for his age, must check the replay.

Most goals for the current listed under 22 Years of Age.

But behind Daniher, Hogan etc... at the same age.

Wouldn't worry too much about Moore Dave, he is going to be a beauty. Just give him time.

Thought I saw something flash up on the Fox coverage last week that he has kicked the most goals for his age, must check the replay.

I think it said he Kicked Most Goals for 22 and Under for Current Players/

Moore just needs Game Time,Experince and Strength/

Is being Behind Danhier and Hogan a Big Worry or Not. I say he as least as much Potential as they have but had played in a Poor/Poor Skilled Team/No Help so does not get as High Numbers yet. Should come though

Until Moore can jump to the next stage to a solid B grade, we will be limited forward of 50, and thankfully we have Elliot.

That's Moores next step, from a passable C grade to a strong B grade.

Hopefully then he goes to A grade and maybe even elite.

But that's his challenge, and he ain't there yet.

Let's hope he does get there or we're going to swim up the stream with no paddle.

Until Moore can jump to the next stage to a solid B grade, we will be limited forward of 50, and thankfully we have Elliot.

That's Moores next step, from a passable C grade to a strong B grade.

Hopefully then he goes to A grade and maybe even elite.

But that's his challenge, and he ain't there yet.

Let's hope he does get there or we're going to swim up the stream with no paddle.

Well IF Moore does Not Come On(I be Shocked IF he does Not) we don't have any good KPF on the List

Well IF Moore does Not Come On(I be Shocked IF he does Not) we don't have any good KPF on the List
I'm sure he will go up levels.
We'd all be shocked.

But if he doesn't, then yes we've got nothing KPF wise, the cupboard is bare :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back