Review Dees v the Purple Haze: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

i thought oliver took cerra to the cleaners. last time we played you, cerra got off the hook and kicked a couple i think. cerra is also one of our better kicks inside fifty. so oliver was very good.
Lol in what world do players play 1 on 1 in the midfield these days except Matt De Boer.
Just went back and checked to make sure and of the first 15 stoppages I skimmed through Oliver was on Cerra 4 times.
They're just random set ups

Being at the ground yesterday, was a bit of a weird vibe after the final siren, supporters were obviously happy, but you can tell there’s still a lot of frustration with the way we played and looked too, reckon a lot of people (me included) think we should be so much better.

Hope it was just a rusty round 1 start, perhaps not helped by a few key injuries. Here’s hoping we can take it to the Saints next week.
Agreed it had a weird feeling. Wasn't even really a cheer when we won it. Seemed like people were miffed at the inaccuracy of goal kicking not putting them to the sword.

I was out and didn't get to watch the game until half time. When I did I wondered how the Dees had got to where they were at half time. I watched the first half later and was still puzzled by the whole game performance.
Apart from Oliver I thought our mids had a day off. Was really surprised that Gawn didn't have a complete day out against an inexperienced opponent.
Little change from 2020 in the way that we continued to butcher delivering the ball into our forwards, incredibly slow learners or very poorly coached. (or both!)
Good - solid backline performance - May seems to have matured since he arrived and doesn't behave like he did at the Suns. Lever seemed to play like he didn't have or need an opponent. Thought Tomlinson was good too.
Jordon got a big rap before the game from Jordan Lewis and seemed to deliver on the rap. Liked what Jackson continued to show, a real talent. Similarly like what Kosie offered, there is a real point of difference in his play. TMac showed the value of a very big off season, I hope he and Oscar at the Blues continue to do well.
Bad - Overall the performance would have resulted in a loss against a better team or one with less injuries. Worst of the Bad - Pearce injury some people you just don't want to stand next to due to them attracting injuries.
I expect that the Dees will have to, need to lift significantly to win next round.

Being at the ground yesterday, was a bit of a weird vibe after the final siren, supporters were obviously happy, but you can tell there’s still a lot of frustration with the way we played and looked too, reckon a lot of people (me included) think we should be so much better.

Hope it was just a rusty round 1 start, perhaps not helped by a few key injuries. Here’s hoping we can take it to the Saints next week.

The game ended in a bit of a wet fart with some of the misses we had in front of goal when we had a chance to make the scoreline a bit more respectable in junk time. Reckon if we took our chances in the last five minutes the crowd reaction would have been stronger.

Agreed it had a weird feeling. Wasn't even really a cheer when we won it. Seemed like people were miffed at the inaccuracy of goal kicking not putting them to the sword.
It was a very negative crowd, basically spent the last quarter moaning and groaning even though we were in total control of the play and there was a decent buffer. The result wasn’t really in doubt, so was a bit of an anti-climactic finish given nothing really happened for the last half an hour to distinguish it from the first three quarters.

Last edited:
It was a very negative crowd, basically spent the last quarter moaning and grounding even though we were in total control of the play and there was a decent buffer. The result wasn’t really in doubt, so was a bit of an anti-climactic finish given nothing really happened for the last half an hour to distinguish it from the first three quarters.

Pessimism is the default setting for Melbourne supporters. Halfway through the second quarter my dad was saying "It's going to be another long year."

Ugly: Still had a few 5-8 minute bursts of complete lethargy (Start of the game, start of third and fourth quarters). A better team or a Freo side with less injuries to their talented forwards would have capitalised and put the pressure firmly on us. We simply can't afford these lapses. Outside of these periods, I thought our pressure was pretty good. I understand modern footy is based off momentum, but we also have a history of losing a game in 10 minutes where we completely go to sleep.

Pessimism is the default setting for Melbourne supporters. Halfway through the second quarter my dad was saying "It's going to be another long year."
12-16th at best. Will be lucky to win more than three games before the bye.

David King said this morning on SEN that he thought the new rule change may negatively impact the role of ruckman moving forward. He said with the game opening up and less stoppage work required, opportunities for the big boys to impact scoring will likely decrease. This was borne out over the weekend with all three of Gawn, NicNat and Grundy having poor to average games statistically.

King said Goodwin may have to get creative with Gawn this season and use him at full forward with greater frequency. Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing that.

Oliver received 7 coaches votes btw. 2nd best on the ground equal to Lever. But hey, let's trade him. He's useless..
Only 7, Dow would get 10. Trade or I'm burning the membership.

David King said this morning on SEN that he thought the new rule change may negatively impact the role of ruckman moving forward. He said with the game opening up and less stoppage work required, opportunities for the big boys to impact scoring will likely decrease. This was borne out over the weekend with all three of Gawn, NicNat and Grundy having poor to average games statistically.

King said Goodwin may have to get creative with Gawn this season and use him at full forward with greater frequency. Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing that.
If that ends up being true I wonder what his role will be? With the way the defenders went on the weekend we won't need him to drop back like he has the past few seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's too early to really say some rucks are cooked by the rule change. Hickey had a great game for the Swans. Flynn was very good for GWS (albeit in a scrappier game). Martin and English played well for the Dogs.
As above, Gawn, Grundy etc seemed to have off-weeks and need time to build some form.

Gawn is clearly not making a scrap of difference at stoppages. May as well play Jackson more in the ruck and put Gawny at FF more. We run the risk of bombing it long into the F50 though but at least Gawn is one of if not our best contested mark.

Oliver received 7 coaches votes btw. 2nd best on the ground equal to Lever. But hey, let's trade him. He's useless..

The coach who gave him votes isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. 😉

Luke Jackson looking like a young Kurt Tippett (before he got too heavy, lost his athleticism and became a s**t truck)

Needs to finish off his good work in front of goals, but what he's doing for a 2nd year KPP is fantastic. Loved that run he went on in the 3rd back to goals where he tapped the ball to himself but unfortunately clothes-lined that bloke. He's quick, aggresive and skillful and has bulked up signficantly. Does the little things really well, which you rarely see from 200cm 19 year old.

Alex Neal Bullen just quietly was ok.
I thought the same thing. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him like some.

I'm just casually glancing at the replay now ... that free kick against Hunt for push in the back against Liam Henry for their second goal was absolutely awful. That was a perfectly executed tackle in that position to not push him in the back at all. Howler from the umpire

I thought the same thing. Certainly wouldn't be dropping him like some.

I'm just casually glancing at the replay now ... that free kick against Hunt for push in the back against Liam Henry for their second goal was absolutely awful. That was a perfectly executed tackle in that position to not push him in the back at all. Howler from the umpire
I was just disappointed because I thought he was really good in the preseason games and expected more, but you’re right. Deserves another go.

I was just disappointed because I thought he was really good in the preseason games and expected more, but you’re right. Deserves another go.
Yeah, obviously his best game is when he kicks a couple after outworking his opponents etc, which didn't happen, but that comes from his work rate, which I thought was right up there again - tho I'm speaking from watching it on TV

Yeah, obviously his best game is when he kicks a couple after outworking his opponents etc, which didn't happen, but that comes from his work rate, which I thought was right up there again - tho I'm speaking from watching it on TV
I dreamt last night that I had in my SuperCoach team and he laid 37 tackles against St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back