Do Geelong have the best home ground advantage in the AFL?

GMHBA fixturing is a…

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny because whenever it comes to the topic of Geelong and Kardinia Park, the opposition supporters that seem to feel the most affronted, at least on this website, are hands down the Richmond contingent. My only guess as to why is that having been brought up to worship a decrepit old cricket stadium, to have others not revere said decrepit cricket stadium in the same way can be a bit uncomfortable and confronting. Unfortunately that's something you and your ilk are going to have to learn to deal with and move past. Differing opinions are great, learn to accept that.
I think you'll find that, because Geelong supporters are so triggered by the Tigers, it's very tempting for Richmond posters to respond to Geelong posters whinging about how everything is all just so unfair.

I think you'll find that, because Geelong supporters are so triggered by the Tigers, it's very tempting for Richmond posters to respond to Geelong posters whinging about how everything is all just so unfair.
Seems to be something more than just that though, like I alluded to earlier to one of your fellow Tiggies. I don't see the 'triggering' that many of you claim, it just looks like a fairly one-sided rivalry born out of insecurity from where I see it. I mean I've seen us between 89-95 get rolled on GF day four times, and more recently we've lost finals to just about every side that's managed to make it there for the past half-decade. There's far more teams that should and do give me cold sweats than Richmond, and I can't see that changing for a long time.

A Measure Of Failure (1990 to 2019 The AFL Era) Ladder Format Plus Percentage:

West Coast: 23.33% (All)
Geelong: 30.00% (All)
Sydney: 33.33% (All)
Hawthorn: 40.00% (All)
Essendon: 40.00% (All)
North Melbourne: 46.66% (All)
Adelaide: 48.28% (Est 1991)
Collingwood: 50.00% (All)

GWS Giants: 50.00% (Est 2012)
Western Bulldogs: 53.33% (All)
Port Adelaide: 56.52% (Est 1997)
Brisbane: 63.33% (All)
St Kilda: 63.33% (All)
Carlton: 66.66% (All)
Melbourne: 66.66% (All)
Fremantle: 72.00% (Est 1995)
Richmond: 73.33% (All)
Gold Coast: 100.00% (Est 2011)
Fitzroy: 100.00% (Dec 1990-1996)

What has this got to do with home ground advantage ? Well not much to be perfectly honest, but yet another measure to
disprove the haunting lyrics "We are Geelong the greatest team of all" second prize once again. Yet more proof of the
complete fallacy of the "Jimmy Barnes" lyrics "There aint no second prize" clearly there is Jimmy. Brisbane and Richmond
to have multiple flags is extraordinary given their high failure percentage.

Just before I go and grab another bag of popcorn, I thought I would bring everyone up to speed with a fact that everyone seems to be missing.
Geelong don't push for max amount of home games because of home ground advantage, they do it for money, money for the football club and money for the local economy, we're not talking thousands, we're talking millions of dollars.

Until each team plays each team twice at true home and away venues, this competition will be unfair.
Whatever each club can do to to get all home games at their true home sounds normal and fair.
Let's look at the EPL.
Do Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool etc complain when they have to play away at places like Bournemouth and Watford?
No, and each year, it's a true home and away season, week after week.
Simple.

Seems to be something more than just that though, like I alluded to earlier to one of your fellow Tiggies. I don't see the 'triggering' that many of you claim, it just looks like a fairly one-sided rivalry born out of insecurity from where I see it. I mean I've seen us between 89-95 get rolled on GF day four times, and more recently we've lost finals to just about every side that's managed to make it there for the past half-decade. There's far more teams that should and do give me cold sweats than Richmond, and I can't see that changing for a long time.

It’s one sided because of the pain we dished out to them for 35 years.

It does seem weird at 1st that the team with the biggest advantages of all are also the most sooky.
I don’t understand why saints, roos and dogs fans don’t complain about advantages others get, yet the tigers will do it all.

Why them when they are the most looked after side?
It’s because of all the heartache they had growing up, like an abused child.

It does seem weird at 1st that the team with the biggest advantages of all are also the most sooky.
I don’t understand why saints, roos and dogs fans don’t complain about advantages others get, yet the tigers will do it all.

Unfortunately football history goes back more than 35 years.

There's only one real way to show superiority. Either win more flags, or win more finals (or preferably both). Recently and historically, only one team gets bragging rights there. And right now it isn't Geelong.

Unfortunately football history goes back more than 35 years.

There's only one real way to show superiority. Either win more flags, or win more finals (or preferably both). Recently and historically, only one team gets bragging rights there. And right now it isn't Geelong.

Right now yeah sure but I’m just telling the person why Tiger fans are so obsessed with Geelong.
Years of pain and they lash out.
Quite simple, what are you disagreeing with?

Right now yeah sure but I’m just telling the person why Tiger fans are so obsessed with Geelong.
Years of pain and they lash out.
Quite simple, what are you disagreeing with?
I’m not sure we are obsessed with Geelong.

But you are right in the fact that for thirty years we had been their bunnies. Was nice to break that hoodoo in the finals in 2017 on the way to the flag. At the time of that win I was honestly not fussed if we didn’t progress further that year, it felt like the monkey was off the back.

I can understand why Geelong supporters would be smarting over the 2019 prelim. Up by four goals at half time with all the momentum. Kick the first of the second half and it was all over, and you would have steamrolled a tired GWS the next week for the flag.

But their leaders didn’t stand up, as Cotchin and Martin took control. Coach Scott paid the price for being too cute and playing his best defender on a wing.

I like the Cats, but I find their coach and his antics amusing, especially when it gifts us a flag.

I just honestly thought they'd be more interested in teams like Collingwood and Essendon, even Carlton, rather than Geelong. To be fair I'm only going off what's posted on this website - but from a lot of what's posted it seems we're really public enemy number one in their eyes which is a real head-scratcher.

They've got a heck of a lot of work to do if they want to replace bloody Hawthorn that's for sure. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just honestly thought they'd be more interested in teams like Collingwood and Essendon, even Carlton, rather than Geelong. To be fair I'm only going off what's posted on this website - but from a lot of what's posted it seems we're really public enemy number one in their eyes which is a real head-scratcher.

They've got a heck of a lot of work to do if they want to replace bloody Hawthorn that's for sure. :drunk:

It isn't really. September 2017 is ground zero. We haven't faced the other three teams in finals recently. We've faced Richmond twice in the last three seasons.

Geelong: Chris Scott (The wonder years 6 x Top Three Finishes Unravelled)

2019: (1st)
GMHBA%: 166.73%
Other%: 121.32%
Big chance for flag the numbers were trending well.

2017: (3rd)
GMHBA%: 111.34%
Other%: 119.92%
Just making up the numbers far from dominant.

2016: (2nd)
GMHBA%: 167.95%
Other% 130.75%
Should have won the flag, but for the AFL moving Sydney (Nemesis) to your half of the draw.

2014: (3rd)
GMHBA%: 166.96%
Other%: 95.49%
False dawn of hope, other teams probably had their measure.

2013: (2nd)
GMHBA%: 174.77%
Other%: 122.60%
Massive flag chance derailed by a home final loss to Fremantle that again shifted them to the other side of the draw.

2011: (2nd)
GMHBA%: 229.69%
Other%: 129.75%
Premier, dominant set of numbers despite a great season from minor premier Collingwood.

Three from six would have been a fair reflection of the perfection, but one from six is just plain underachieving.

Geelong: Chris Scott (The wonder years 6 x Top Three Finishes Unravelled)

2019: (1st)
GMHBA%: 166.73%
Other%: 121.32%
Big chance for flag the numbers were trending well.

2017: (3rd)
GMHBA%: 111.34%
Other%: 119.92%
Just making up the numbers far from dominant.

2016: (2nd)
GMHBA%: 167.95%
Other% 130.75%
Should have won the flag, but for the AFL moving Sydney (Nemesis) to your half of the draw.

2014: (3rd)
GMHBA%: 166.96%
Other%: 95.49%
False dawn of hope, other teams probably had their measure.

2013: (2nd)
GMHBA%: 174.77%
Other%: 122.60%
Massive flag chance derailed by a home final loss to Fremantle that again shifted them to the other side of the draw.

2011: (2nd)
GMHBA%: 229.69%
Other%: 129.75%
Premier, dominant set of numbers despite a great season from minor premier Collingwood.

Three from six would have been a fair reflection of the perfection, but one from six is just plain underachieving.
Those percentages actually seem low for home vs away games. Do you have them for other clubs?

Yes but you have nothing to compare them against without looking at other clubs. You cant tell where it ranks in terms of home ground advantages.
True, all it does is look at the hot years of the coach of the "Decade" Chris Scott and give his GMHBA percentage versus his
Other percentage and a brief outline of when he should have held up the cup or at least had a good chance too. His hot
years were defined by top three finishes which is a truly remarkable run, pity he did not get the full reward, but you still
have to put the dance shoes on in order to dance. Quite a victim of circumstance and switching of the finals draw was the
great man.

True, all it does is look at the hot years of the coach of the "Decade" Chris Scott and give his GMHBA percentage versus his
Other percentage and a brief outline of when he should have held up the cup or at least had a good chance too. His hot
years were defined by top three finishes which is a truly remarkable run, pity he did not get the full reward, but you still
have to put the dance shoes on in order to dance. Quite a victim of circumstance and switching of the finals draw was the
great man.
Unfortunately that was the mentality of the club. Aim to get to top 4 and then hope it just works out from there.

Well, it looks like the answer to the thread question is a resounding YES.
In fact, according to the analysis, Geelongs' home ground advantage is not only the best in the AFL, it is better than any in the NRL also.

The ABC looked at home ground advantage over the past 5 seasons to compare with what is happening in home ground advantage with no crowds in the current situation where sport has returned.

Well, it looks like the answer to the thread question is a resounding YES.
In fact, according to the analysis, Geelongs' home ground advantage is not only the best in the AFL, it is better than any in the NRL also.

The ABC looked at home ground advantage over the past 5 seasons to compare with what is happening in home ground advantage with no crowds in the current situation where sport has returned.
Geelong lost the free kick count again last night. do you guys even watch the game? free kick stats would suggest Geelong has one of the worst home ground umpiring advantages in the comp.

Back