No Oppo Supporters Do we need a new coach?

Do we need a new coach ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be giving Bomber Thompson a call. The way that man speaks about the importance of player development, as well as having respect for the playing group you can just tell he was the leader of Geelongs culture change in the mid 2000s
But is his heart in it? Does he really want to coach? Personally I'm not completely convinced he does.

But is his heart in it? Does he really want to coach? Personally I'm not completely convinced he does.
Bomber is part of a fiendish plot by the haters to try and destabilize the board for financial gain

Would like to know what provisos are in the contract regarding his KPIs, results etc. Obviously, Peggy would not disclose that info in the Q&A because of privacy.
Fully believe he won't be coaching us in 2017 anyway.
It irks me - as per my question to Peggy - that the club said a finals win in 2015 was the pass mark.
Well, we didn't achieve it, yet he was rewarded with a contract extension - it's farcical.
Now Penny says no KPIs were disregarded .... they were obviously ignored, which I'm sure means disregarded.
I don't dislike Hardwick, but it surely makes sense to let him coach his final year, and hopefully he coaches out of his skin, and then we sit down at the end of the season and say, great job, here's two more years.
The extension
on the eve of the season was purely for PR purposes and it's going to end up costly as he is going to be gone at year's end, or more likely the end of 2017.
The club has done a wonderful job eliminating debt and building the bank balance. Outstanding job. But I would suggest it's easier to make the tough and right decisions when you are forced to as oposed to when you are flushed with cash. And this is the case here. We are going to pay him out at some stage, bank on it. He ain't turning it around. As others have alluded to, Hardwick's body language and facial expressions are of a beaten and helpless man. I would think he sat down at some point in the last few weeks and honestly appraised the list and relaised it ain't good enough and that even if "we smashed the last two drafts" as he declared, the poor drafting and development in the five years before will hamstring this list. People can argue lack of development, lack of opportunity, lack of talent when it comes to a player like McBean, the sad fact is that his papers have been stamped with (five games alongside his name) and sadly the McBeans of this world at Tigerland are a dime of dozen in th epast decade or more. If kids like McBean and Elton (two games in five years) can 'clog' a list so long, it tells you there is something critically wrong with the way the club goes about it. McBean is just the latest example .... and it's a case of who is next - Broad, Castagna, Short, Butler etc. if the club doesn't pull its head out of the sand and stop thinking three straight finals series is the be all and end all.

I'd be giving Bomber Thompson a call. The way that man speaks about the importance of player development, as well as having respect for the playing group you can just tell he was the leader of Geelongs culture change in the mid 2000s
All good. But he's a bit biased against RFC, isn't he?

All good. But he's a bit biased against RFC, isn't he?
The thing is with Bomber, he interviewed (early) for the job that went to Spud Frawley but he didn't want a bar of us after the interview.
There's no love for us there - and in other sections of the community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah just give the gig to whoever is actually willing to take it on :D

465798.gif

I started thinking today about our list and which of the senior players had actually improved this year. It didn't take me long to come up with a list of Dusty and Hampson.

Dimma keeps pointing to the talent coming through and the golden future they'll bring, but * me dead he hasn't done anything with the current batch of players. What makes him or anyone else think he's going to develop the new batch any better than he's developed the current list?

You haven't seen his recent interviews then? He basically said that he has the desire to coach and it still burns within him, just has no job available for him.

Could very well see him getting the Lions job if we don't get in first

He's coaching for nothing wins to save himself and not looking after the future of the list for next season, so **** him off now so we can at least go into the offseason without this utensil head in charge.

"Look we've got a great stable of young talent at the club...we will play them...if they don't star after a week when we were reamed by a quality opposition, they will be given the the flick until they learn the Richmond way ...in the meantime, I'll ensure solid as a rock players like Vickery, Hunt Batch Lambert et al will get games to show em how it's done..."

I started thinking today about our list and which of the senior players had actually improved this year. It didn't take me long to come up with a list of Dusty and Hampson.

Dimma keeps pointing to the talent coming through and the golden future they'll bring, but **** me dead he hasn't done anything with the current batch of players. What makes him or anyone else think he's going to develop the new batch any better than he's developed the current list?
In all fairness though, all Hampson had to do was kick it to a teammate accurately once to be considered an improvement.

Dimma keeps pointing to the talent coming through and the golden future they'll bring, but **** me dead he hasn't done anything with the current batch of players. What makes him or anyone else think he's going to develop the new batch any better than he's developed the current list?
That's said whewn you consider one of those two s still just 'mediocre'.
Improvement yes, but he's damn ordinary Hampson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back