acker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2005
Riverina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
2 big losses including poor starts from both our late Sunday games.

We play in that Sunday Arvo or Late Arvo "Roast" time spot a fair bit - I wonder if the timing schedule for our match preparation including training times is part of the issue and perhaps needs to be revised ?

If we are going to play many of our matches at that time - we need to try to find an edge and own that time schedule like a home match on a windy day at the Western Oval.

We play in that Sunday Arvo or Late Arvo "Roast" time spot a fair bit - I wonder if the timing schedule for our match preparation including training times is part of the issue and perhaps needs to be revised ?
It raises an issue raised by Brent Harvey a few years ago - he mentioned he felt his night games were below par due to the full day or so rest leading up to the game.
He started experimenting and worked out a fast & heavy cardio session on the bike for around 30 minutes in the morning imporved his performance by a significant margin. Other players definately perform better after a full day of rest.

Perhaps it is incumbent on some players to consider or experiment with their own preparation as opposed to a one size fits all approach?

I think we have a lot of players who are either too slow or too inexperienced to handle the pace early. Wallis boyd jong Bontempelli young stringer, even minson to am extent. Most of him and boyds good work happens in the second half. I remember gia used to spend first 5 mins on bench even before he was sub because he just couldn't keep up when the pace was white hot.

Solutions? Find a way to hang in there early (extra man back etc)
Or change team selection.

• Banned
It raises an issue raised by Brent Harvey a few years ago - he mentioned he felt his night games were below par due to the full day or so rest leading up to the game.
He started experimenting and worked out a fast & heavy cardio session on the bike for around 30 minutes in the morning imporved his performance by a significant margin. Other players definately perform better after a full day of rest.

Perhaps it is incumbent on some players to consider or experiment with their own preparation as opposed to a one size fits all approach?

Yes it's an unusual time schechdule for AFL games perhaps since we seem to be a side finding themselves playing it a bit, we should experiment a bit more with things like those heavy cardio schedules and see if it helps us find a better sacadian rhythm or something to have us sharper to play in that time frame.

• Banned
I think we have a lot of players who are either too slow or too inexperienced to handle the pace early. Wallis boyd jong Bontempelli young stringer, even minson to am extent. Most of him and boyds good work happens in the second half. I remember gia used to spend first 5 mins on bench even before he was sub because he just couldn't keep up when the pace was white hot.

Probably your post more pertinent to the autopsy thread - but the big thing that I glaringly saw in particular in the second quarter after we got back to within 1 Goal was ... Minson failed to win or nullify the next group of Center Bounces, Liberatore struggled to win or nullify those Centre a Clearances and Williams and Talia struggled to put aerial pressure on the Blues Forwards ( none of who were star AFL Forwards ) Carlton were scoring far to easily for the entries into their Forward 50 - our back 6 was in disarray

If we are going to play many of our matches at that time - we need to try to find an edge and own that time schedule like a home match on a windy day at the Western Oval.

Umm not to sound like I'm being negative but don't the team we are playing have the same issues ?

And in fact we have had one good start in 5 so I'm not sure it's a Sunday issue perhaps motivation of players ?

We could easily have had 3 goals to nil v Carlton on the weekend within the opening 5 mins, we started ok, didn't finish the work off. What we need to work on is better kicking skills into the forward 50 and set shots for goal.

I have always wondered why teams seem to train exclusively in the morning these days. I guess being a full time environment that "working" hours make it easier. But all games are played in the arvo or the evening, yet we don't train at those times. The other obvious benefit would be that people might be able to get to training.

I reckon Thursday night should be a training night from 4 to 6pm. With team selection announced after training to the faithful. The very last thing the players do is a match like pressure goal kicking comp, after having done some sprints, with a man on the mark, drop punts only from 15 to 35 meters out. Anyone who misses is forced to have additional goal kicking practice after training is done.

As a club, we should look for ways to lead the comp.

I reckon Thursday night should be a training night from 4 to 6pm. With team selection announced after training to the faithful. The very last thing the players do is a match like pressure goal kicking comp, after having done some sprints, with a man on the mark, drop punts only from 15 to 35 meters out. Anyone who misses is forced to have additional goal kicking practice after training is done.

As a club, we should look for ways to lead the comp.

That seems to be a very old school way to approach training so I'm not sure if that going to the past has us leading the future.

That seems to be a very old school way to approach training so I'm not sure if that going to the past has us leading the future.

Is anyone else doing it? Sometimes what is old can be new again, and if everyone is thinking outside the box, then thinking inside the box is the new black. I think things evolve, but I reckon things have stagnated in some areas. The game is played a lot at night or late arvo....yet we never train at that time of day.....why not?

Goal kicking for some reason is one skill that not only has not got better, it's probably worse. How does Crameri miss a set shot from 20 meters out, but nails one from outside 50? Psychological perhaps....but I reckon he rarely practices such an easy shot. Like putting, most people practice the mirac from 10m away and never practice the 4 footer.

If we keep doing what we have always done, we will keep getting what we have always got.....but for now I am out of clichés.

Last edited:
It's all about planning well in advance how to fill in the hours. I know a few weeks ago I had to fill in almost an entire day before a half marathon which started at 5PM when they normally commence closer to 7AM. I knew when I had to turn up to both accommodation (1PM) and bib collection (3:30PM) so it was a case of trying to relax somewhere for a few hours in the morning. I know players are different but they should have their own game day routines prior to when they are required to be at the venue to get them in a comfortable frame of mind.

I wonder if it only affects McCartney, his backline match ups over the last few weeks have been awful. It nearly cost us the game against GWS and it did lose the game against Carlton. Too many easy inside 50's. I wonder if it's a case of having too much time in the day to muck around with the line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back