Opinion Do we REALLY want Jack Steven from St. Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP vs the people who want to bring in Jack Steven:

giphy.gif

There has been much talk about Geelong chasing St. Kilda midfielder Jack Steven.

My question is:- do we really need or want him?

Don't get me wrong, at his best he can be a very good player.

But I have a number of concerns, which make me cautious whether it is a good idea or not:-

-Saw him a couple of weeks ago, and he looks to have a bit of weight on the gills. He would need to trim down.

-Do we really need more midfielders?

I think Geelong have priorities in other areas. Now, if Steven played ruck, and was one of the best in the league, I would want him. But I would rather chase Goldstein, Sam Jacobs, Paddy Ryder or even Brodie Grundy (who would are rumoured in trade discussions) than another midfielder like Steven. The ruckman can fill a role we are weak in, and would be worth doing. I don't know if Steven (especially in his current state) would add much to our midfield.

-Speaking of his current "state"-

This is something else that concerns me. Steven has spent most of the year either physically injured or battling mental demons. I don't know if we want to take a risk on a player like that again.

Remember Mitch Clark? We took a punt on him, and it failed. Do we want to roll the dice again on someone with physical and mental issues?

-He's 30.

If we don't win the flag this year, do we want another 30 year old? I would say "Yes" if it is a ruckman or key forward who would strengthen our lineup. But we might only get a couple of years out of Steven (and that is even if he has everything sorted). We could give that spot to another youngster or another guy out of our VFL side.

-How much will it cost us?

This is a consideration too. I thought that he was a FA, but I think I heard someone saying that we would have to trade for him. I don't think, with his issues and his lack of fitness, that we should be offering him much money, a long contract or giving up prime draft picks for him. If it costs us nothing, then maybe. But if we have to give a lot for him, I say, forget it.

It seems our interest in Steven is because he lives near Geelong. Now, it is one thing when Patrick Dangerfield wants to move to our club because he is from the area (you would move heaven and earth to get him). If Travis Boak wanted to go home, I would have no problems getting him either, but I don't see what use we have for Steven, and we are only interested because he lives nearby and wants to play for us.

Hey, if we pick him, and he plays like he did at his best, it could be a worthwhile investment. But if we chase him, because we want him, rather than try to get in a ruckman or second KPF, then we are putting a lot of eggs into one basket, and I don't know if he would get us any closer to a flag.

There are questions that we have no answer for .. if we knew the answer perhaps we would be more able to say yes or no with more confidence ...

Is he contacting us or are we contacting him?
Is he in a state that will enable him to prepare to get fit for the start of next year?
Is he gettable at a price that would enable us to balance the risk? If not .. we stop there .. he is contracted to Stk ..and in 12 months is a FA.
How much does he want to play ..and how does it affect our cap? Too much .. again we stop there.
Can he still perform to a level that would place him in our best 15 players? (Its no good just being in the fringe)
Can he be our Stewy Dew?
Can he be another Mitch Clark?
Can he be another Hmac?
Can he be a bit like GA?

Generally the last two week has almost been a template of our questions.. showing the talent to kick 3 goals of a nothing prep ..then looking out of shape and more like a 2nd or 3rd level tier footy player.

Do we need more mids ..absolutely . Do we need 30 yo old mids? Not as much. To me its sort of like the situation IF we bring in GSt and let go Smith ..then we probably have move a step in the right direction. So if GA is not going on ..and we can sort of get a similar sort of inpact for not much cost..and it doesnt prevent us bringing kids ... then yes we probably do it.

Absolutely positively nothing more than a pick in the 30's.. and any contract must be tied to fitness and games played ..

I'm not advocating a Steven recruitment but some of the posts here are forgetting something....this bloke is a bloody good quality footballer.

Right price, whatever that may be, and you take him.

I think Turbo's final sentence in the post above sums it up pretty well.

I'm not advocating a Steven recruitment but some of the posts here are forgetting something....this bloke is a bloody good quality footballer.

Right price, whatever that may be, and you take him.

I think Turbo's final sentence in the post above sums it up pretty well.
He was or could be. At the moment he doesn't look fit, he's heading towards 30 and he's been dealing with mental issues. Guys like Hamish McIntosh, Mitch Clark and Brett Deledio were also, at a time, good footballers. Club finally got it right steering clear of the last one.

Solid player but with 13 players over 29 next year all depends who retires or the club shift out this year, we need to get the age of the list down

exactly, our list is fast becoming an old folks home

need to stop kicking the can down the road and focus on the draft

He was or could be. At the moment he doesn't look fit, he's heading towards 30 and he's been dealing with mental issues. Guys like Hamish McIntosh, Mitch Clark and Brett Deledio were also, at a time, good footballers. Club finally got it right steering clear of the last one.

Spare me the comparisons with Clark..I know your not silly enough to assume all "mental demons" are the same..or of similar duration.

Did you see his game a fortnight ago? Theres no "was" about it..he was dynamic..and thats with him comparatively, fat and unfit.

I totally understand the scepticism...but I dont think we should close our minds to the possibility out of hand.

exactly, our list is fast becoming an old folks home

need to stop kicking the can down the road and focus on the draft

If Kelly goes, we may well have 3 first round picks and with a couple of retirements likely we can focus on the draft without dismissing a mature ager who is a quality player. So you will get your way...

That does not mean I advocate a Steven recruitment btw....

Biggy the difference in those three is their body was packing up... it doenst appear thats the case.. its not like he has been out for achillies like Hmac etc.
I was not a yes for ablett but that seems to have been a reasonable outcome. If the club drops the hammer I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. If they dont..im fine with that too.

If Kelly goes, we may well have 3 first round picks and with a couple of retirements likely we can focus on the draft without dismissing a mature ager who is a quality player. So you will get your way...

That does not mean I advocate a Steven recruitment btw....

Yes. If we bring in Steven or Higgins etc or who ever to help cover the hole left by kelly ...while we go to draft in the hardest way we have done in 20 years ..then ..it would hardly be detrimental to list rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see his game a fortnight ago? Theres no "was" about it..he was dynamic..and thats with him comparatively, fat and unfit.

I totally understand the scepticism...but I dont think we should close our minds to the possibility out of hand.

Bulldust - i watched that game against Freo - and he was not dynamic - he kicked a couple of handy goals around the corner against a pretty slack/sloppy Freo defence . As others have said he was way out of condition - thats the 1st thing i noticed

I do agree he was a talented player 3-4 years ago when fully fit - and had a bit of pace

But hes now 30 - let him take his troubles somewhere else - not being Geelong

If Kelly leaves, the logical plan would be to use the picks gained on some young players in draft and back fill with Steven with a token pick somewhere around the 35-40 mark.

If St Kilda are not interested in that or Jack Steven is not interested in playing for a much lower salary then everyone can walk away.

I don’t think there should be any angst over this one. It will really depend on what St kilda wants to do with him. It is not our choice and we won’t offer anything tempting to St Kilda. I appreciate St Kilda fans rate him highly but does the new coach want a fresh start?

Changed my mind and now dont want, he looked bloody shocking last week, really bloated and just couldn't run, noticed about 3 or 4 non efforts where he just gave up the chase when the guy was 2 metres in front of him, it looked like it was too hard and he was out of breath.

I really used to love Jack as a player but unless he drops the weight and gets fit in pre-season the end will be closer than he thinks, if its meds that are making him like that then it makes it even harder.

There are questions that we have no answer for .. if we knew the answer perhaps we would be more able to say yes or no with more confidence ...

Is he contacting us or are we contacting him?
Is he in a state that will enable him to prepare to get fit for the start of next year?
Is he gettable at a price that would enable us to balance the risk? If not .. we stop there .. he is contracted to Stk ..and in 12 months is a FA.
How much does he want to play ..and how does it affect our cap? Too much .. again we stop there.
Can he still perform to a level that would place him in our best 15 players? (Its no good just being in the fringe)
Can he be our Stewy Dew?
Can he be another Mitch Clark?
Can he be another Hmac?
Can he be a bit like GA?

Generally the last two week has almost been a template of our questions.. showing the talent to kick 3 goals of a nothing prep ..then looking out of shape and more like a 2nd or 3rd level tier footy player.

Do we need more mids ..absolutely . Do we need 30 yo old mids? Not as much. To me its sort of like the situation IF we bring in GSt and let go Smith ..then we probably have move a step in the right direction. So if GA is not going on ..and we can sort of get a similar sort of inpact for not much cost..and it doesnt prevent us bringing kids ... then yes we probably do it.

Absolutely positively nothing more than a pick in the 30's.. and any contract must be tied to fitness and games played ..

Good post - i'd prefer to pass, unless it was minimum dollars and late third or forth rounder i.e. no risk / sentimental type of trade.

As good a player as he has been we can’t afford to be bringing him in for anything more than a token draft selection.

So essentially, no.

End thread right here IMO.
Sure he's a decent player, when in form and with his head in the right place, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and the Saints will likely ask for way too much.
A 3rd rounder and 400k a year deal? Sure, why not.
Anything above that just isn't worth it.
Especially if you see our list as I do, very much short term (this year and next) and then long term. I see this current team competing for finals/flags while Selwood, Ablett, Hawkins, Danger, Harry are still around, and then perhaps again when guys like Parfitt, Stewart and Kolo are the veterans with not much left in between.
So unless he is the difference between a flag next year and nothing, I wouldn't bother with him and would instead prefer using those picks either at the draft or to lure young talent to the club.

Bulldust - i watched that game against Freo - and he was not dynamic - he kicked a couple of handy goals around the corner against a pretty slack/sloppy Freo defence . As others have said he was way out of condition - thats the 1st thing i noticed

I do agree he was a talented player 3-4 years ago when fully fit - and had a bit of pace

But hes now 30 - let him take his troubles somewhere else - not being Geelong

So did I...."a couple of handy goals"...LOL...and your subtle suggestion that he has lost his pace is surely taking the piss.

Steven played as a small forward because (as you noticed and he admitted after the game that he wasn't match fit and was "a bit fat")....yes, he was out of condition....so...he could only manage...

22 possessions, 12 kicks, 10 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles and 3 goals .... one of which put them within a kick before the final goal from Bruce)...I'd take a small forward at peak fitness who can deliver those stats any day.

Named in the best by both coaches as well....that's BOTH coaches.....

and finally a quote from the AFL site.......Bruce will gain many plaudits for rising to the occasion when it mattered most, but the hero was four-time club champion Steven who, despite appearing a little out of shape, was a firestarter forward of centre in his first game back after a mental health break.

Time to adjust the bi-focals GOB...Steven was a star and obviously will be better when match fit.

PS: For the tenth time, I am not advocating his recruitment by Geelong, just giving him the respect as a footballer that he deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back