Do you have faith & trust in the AFL currently ?

Do you have faith & trust in the AFL currently ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this in the fresh CTE - McCrory thread, but it prob better belongs here --
Well, that's two pet peeves raising their heads, in Grand Final week of all weeks, indicating the control freak AFL is losing its grip on information and narrative.

First the facade of indiginous respect and progress has been demolished. The indigenous rounds, indigenous jerseys, and country recognitions before games are now to be seen for what they are - tinsel, wrapping, covering up nothing being done.

There have been plenty of warnings that could have instigated a coordinated deep look into all clubs and the AFL's treatment of Aboriginals. But nothing. Just more tinsel.

Now the AFL's tawdry efforts to protect players brains using half arsed expertise from a plagiarist denier. They put in place just enough rulings to appear to be doing something, when we all know the seriousness is way beyond what is being acknowledged, and if fair dinkum, there would be far more regulation around the risk.

To pull of an amazing trifecta, I am hoping gambling ad revenue in the AFL can muster its own scandal this week.

Those suggesting Gil should delay his stepping down to deal with these issues are mistaken. The facade carpenters and exterior joiners running the AFL should be marched out without delay, and replaced with people of integrity and with a value system beyond the dollar.
Very succinctly put an one would imagine that the AFL is headed toward extinction. Standing in the way of that though are external interested commercial operations.

How can a professional sporting league worth huge money like the AFL have a score review system but have none of its own tech, relying only on what the broadcaster happens to have available at the ground?

If they don’t want to invest in the necessary additional cameras, then don’t have score review.

Yet another example of many demonstrating they only care about money, not the integrity of the sport. If they’re not careful they will kill the golden goose.
Poor camera angles, blurry images - hey AFL use some of that betting revenue to get some high tech cameras of your own at every major ground. Also get a set to be moved around the country as needed at one off venues.

Not too hard and who cares about the cost, maybe drop a million dollar Old Boy exec and use that money on what's really important eh?

Ties to gambling, random rule changes, resolving issues by working out the least damaging rather than proper response and now stuffing up something as simple but important as the grand final parade.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Compromised beyond belief in terms of on field outcomes, and deliberately so to get the outcomes they want.
This. I refuse to accept that Brisbane beat Melbourne for anything other than giving Geelong an easier path to the GF, so #Dangerflag will happen. Umps have massive influence on results, as directed by HQ.

Lot of things infuriate me with the head honchos there but I felt the treatment of Ginnivan this season was putrid from both the media and AFL.

19 year kid exploits a rule that many have done so before him but the media call him out, making him out to be a cheat and then the AFL cave and change the rule.

Then the bullying continued and every time he nearly had his head taken off, it was play on and everyone continued to pile it on him. Gil keeps going on about garbage like head being sacrosanct etc but couldn’t give a stuff about Ginnivan and never spoke up bout everyone settling down and backing off. No comment from Gil of course when he was booed by the swans fans in round 22 either.
Can we stop treating AFL players like they're random 19 year olds that walked in off the streets? If they want to be regular 19 year olds they can stay out of the AFL system, it would be good for some of them!

Ginnivan's a professional player who went out of his to become a professional troll and a professional exploiter of the rules.

Collingwood with 7 million dollars worth of football staff had every opportunity to get him to change his behaviour and change his play. Instead his coach came out and publicly supported both of them and then they had news cameras film him teaching his team mates how to do it too.

Yes, it's a little unfair that he became the fall guy when plenty of other players do it too (including Noble for the Pies who's nearly as bad) but footy fans aren't idiots. We all recognise when a player goes way outside the bounds of normal gamesmanship. Cody Weightman had a couple of moments in a final last year. One clear flop when he was over the boundary line, another where he ran head first in to an unsuspecting opponent and flung himself to the ground. Since then he adapted his game and doesn't blatantly try to create free kicks from thin air and he's barely been mentioned this year.

And yeah, the media made him out to be a cheat because he based a large chunk of his game around breaking the rules and getting rewarded for it. That's the definition of cheating.

The league stepped in to save him from himself. He's still trying to draw free kicks by creating high contact when most of the leagues small forwards have adapted and without the rewards have stopped doing it.

This. I refuse to accept that Brisbane beat Melbourne for anything other than giving Geelong an easier path to the GF, so #Dangerflag will happen. Umps have massive influence on results, as directed by HQ.
They sure abandoned the push in the back and holding the ball rule at one end in that game, but the real worry for me with that game was the umps just rarely paid anything and seemed to swallow the whistle for a semi final. The whistle should never be put away, with the small caveat that if possible late in a grand final lets not change the result on a technicality free kick.

The AFL just got the game through the pandemic, negotiated a $4.5 billion dollar TV deal and started an AFLW competition (whether it's any good or not). Tasmania is only a few years away from really happening, I imagine there will be one more team added to make it 20 sooner rather than later. Within just two years what looked like a complete disaster for Australian Rules Football has seen arguably the greatest Finals series in the AFL era? In Australia's most popular sport nobody should be naive enough to believe that there won't be problems.
It's an ever-changing world and it has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Racism, Drugs, Gambling isn't going away any time soon, but who knows what the AFL will look like by the end of the next TV deal in 2031? Maybe we'll have two new teams and lose two and still have 18? The AFL might generate more interest in this country than the Brisbane Olympics by 2032.
Today your TV is a computer, an antenna that talks to space, and a picture box that shows you stories, worldwide sports alongside a whole bunch of reality crap. There are tons of gadgets available to make your TV experience absolutely the most exciting thing in your life. The AFL have tapped right into it. Not sure how we can be that critical of it all? As for the changing rules, people do realise that this great game is almost impossible to adjudicate? The last 10 years has been tumultuous, but it has got us to where we are today. I hope country and metropolitan football get a boost, i hope they get a boost up in the Territory and islands, I hope they improve the technologies and i hope Goal Umpires get back into white coats and hats! ;)

Largely I don't think the AFL are all that much worse than the rest of the Australian commercial world.

But it's an issue that they get graded on the commercial and not the community standard.

It's very hard though, because they aren't only trying to make money to line their pockets. I really believe the AFL do try to grow the game, invest in juniors and to an extent provide something for local footy.

It's a lot easier for sporting leagues to exist if they are simply governed by a group of owners and have no responsibility to the community, apart from when they drive community activities for goodwill.

I do believe the AFL have made great changes to allow any team in the comp to win a flag, maybe for the first time in the history of the VFL/AFL.

I do believe the changes they make to the rules are made with good intentions.

I do believe there's people at the AFL that genuinely care about social issues. And especially at clubs. I'm shocked we've still got racism but a lot of this stuff is 1) clubs actually having Indigenous employers to begin with and 2) now actually looking for problems rather than hiding them. Most big industries just skip the issue entirely.

Same goes for the AFL's stance on Pride and for other issues. They're at least having the conversation rather than completely ducking it.

Gambling might be my biggest frustration with the league. Although the constant chase for more money is really number 1 and gambling is a subset of that.

No professional sporting code, anywhere in the world, change rules in their games in the middle of a season.

Let alone change interpretations to rules after a full season for week 1 of finals. Absolutely zero credibility.

Yeah that’s a great point. You have to go all the way to… (checks notes)…. The next biggest code in (checks notes again)……. Australia, to see a competition that changes rules mid season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that’s a great point because if I was a massive business, what I would do is try and promote a team who’s fortunes have little if any impact on my bottom line instead of
A) a team who operate in a 2 million strong population centre with no competition aside from a rugby league team and THEN because I’m so keen to have Geelong umpired through to a premiership, in the prelim final I’d get the umpires to make a 22-12 free kick count against Geelong

And

B) a club who while not hugely supported DOES have a perennially dormant supporter base that emerges in powerful numbers whenever they’re succeeding

That’s how businesses work, isn’t it? You do whatever you have to make LESS money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very simple Question guys.

Do you have faith in the AFL currently to behave to the standards they breach? This goes for on-field & off-field. Do we believe they act in the best interest of its people, its supporters & the overall integrity of the game?

Please vote with some thought. This might just be another Bigfooty thread, but its also a documented moment in time of how we all really feel. We know there are AFL people and journalist that patrol these boards - its time for the supporters to speak up & a call for the league to "Be Better"

Nope, but if the league has the courage to demand and get the removal of Fagan and Clarkson from their respective positions (unless totally exonerated which seems unlikely based on the damning testimony and more witness coming forward to collaborate the toxic events at Hawthorn) it would be a step in the right direction

What is it we are supposed to have faith in, exactly?

Their job based on what I read here is to please roughly 8-10 million people who are divided across 18 different ideologies and somehow get every single one of them right

The AFL just got the game through the pandemic, negotiated a $4.5 billion dollar TV deal and started an AFLW competition (whether it's any good or not). Tasmania is only a few years away from really happening, I imagine there will be one more team added to make it 20 sooner rather than later. Within just two years what looked like a complete disaster for Australian Rules Football has seen arguably the greatest Finals series in the AFL era? In Australia's most popular sport nobody should be naive enough to believe that there won't be problems.
It's an ever-changing world and it has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Racism, Drugs, Gambling isn't going away any time soon, but who knows what the AFL will look like by the end of the next TV deal in 2031? Maybe we'll have two new teams and lose two and still have 18? The AFL might generate more interest in this country than the Brisbane Olympics by 2032.
Today your TV is a computer, an antenna that talks to space, and a picture box that shows you stories, worldwide sports alongside a whole bunch of reality crap. There are tons of gadgets available to make your TV experience absolutely the most exciting thing in your life. The AFL have tapped right into it. Not sure how we can be that critical of it all? As for the changing rules, people do realise that this great game is almost impossible to adjudicate? The last 10 years has been tumultuous, but it has got us to where we are today. I hope country and metropolitan football get a boost, i hope they get a boost up in the Territory and islands, I hope they improve the technologies and i hope Goal Umpires get back into white coats and hats! ;)
The greatest finals series?! This is literally the most compromised finals series in history.

One of the very first games of the series had the result reversed by a botched over-rule coming from off the field, and the AFL STILL refuses to release the evidence that allowed them to 'tick off' the decision.

An unprecedented debacle.

If that game had not been overturned, who knows who would be in the GF now.

The greatest finals series?! This is literally the most compromised finals series in history.

One of the very first games of the series had the result reversed by a botched over-rule coming from off the field, and the AFL STILL refuses to release the evidence that allowed them to 'tick off' the decision.

An unprecedented debacle.

If that game had not been overturned, who knows who would be in the GF now.

How is it compromised? My own club has literally - in TWO games involving players who will be playing tomorrow, in grand finals no less, been on both ends of a goal umpiring decision where the ball didn’t just MAYBE go for a behind, it hit the post.

You think that because a kick that was most likely a behind was awarded a behind, in an elimination final, that this whole finals series has been compromised?

What is it we are supposed to have faith in, exactly?

Their job based on what I read here is to please roughly 8-10 million people who are divided across 18 different ideologies and somehow get every single one of them right
It’s called the AFL right? Do you reckon it’s governed in the interest of all 18 clubs.

It’s called the AFL right? Do you reckon it’s governed in the interest of all 18 clubs.

Yes.

For every moron who thinks that a club is advantaged because they get 9 home games there is another person who thinks they are disadvantaged because they don’t get 11.

For everyone who thinks Melbourne clubs are advantaged because they have less travel, there is another person who thinks ‘well there are lots of Melbourne clubs so it would be odd if they had to travel 5 hours to play each other elsewhere.’

For everyone that thinks two new clubs are advantaged because they get a heap of draft picks, there is another person who thinks ‘well gee it would be kind of hard for a brand new club to find 40 players of AFL standard and be competitive without some help’

For everyone who thinks the MRP is corrupt there is someone else who actually can look at it with both eyes and realise that all 18 clubs have bafflingly good, and bafflingly bad decisions go against their players.

For everyone who thinks there is a league wide conspiracy against their team succeeding, there is someone with a brain who looks at the evidence that suggests the opposite

Yes.

For every moron who thinks that a club is advantaged because they get 9 home games there is another person who thinks they are disadvantaged because they don’t get 11.

For everyone who thinks Melbourne clubs are advantaged because they have less travel, there is another person who thinks ‘well there are lots of Melbourne clubs so it would be odd if they had to travel 5 hours to play each other elsewhere.’

For everyone that thinks two new clubs are advantaged because they get a heap of draft picks, there is another person who thinks ‘well gee it would be kind of hard for a brand new club to find 40 players of AFL standard and be competitive without some help’

For everyone who thinks the MRP is corrupt there is someone else who actually can look at it with both eyes and realise that all 18 clubs have bafflingly good, and bafflingly bad decisions go against their players.

For everyone who thinks there is a league wide conspiracy against their team succeeding, there is someone with a brain who looks at the evidence that suggests the opposite

Lol what about every moron that thinks having ten teams in Victoria equals a national competition or having the GF in Melbourne every year because you know it belongs in Melbourne .
it’s a two bit comp thats proven how amateurish it is over the past six weeks firstly with the Cripps overturned suspension and the abhorrent situation we got going on now i could list a s**t load more but thats already been done AFL my arse.

Yes.

What about the people who think the AFL shouldn't be involved in the recruiting process for a club?

“Lance was going to do one of two things: stay at Hawthorn or play with the Swans,” Colless says. “The AFL, in breach of all the rules they had just created in relation to free agency, were dealing with Lance and his manager directly, trying to lure him to GWS. The AFL felt they had superior negotiating clout and thought that’s where he should go because they were desperate to fast-track GWS’s success.

Back