Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I originally thought Bevo, surrounded by experienced assistant coaches, but now I think he just needs to go, he won’t get in with others making decisions over him. New broom sweeps clean.
Tbf this needed to occur last season and the board completely half arsed it

Looks like it is going to happen this off season but maybe a season too late, who knows

Signing him up to a two year extension before the season even began was pure stupidity

I am off Bevo. Just changed my vote.

Chris Scott will be coaching West Coast next year, so let’s get Adam Simpson.

I am off Bevo. Just changed my vote.

Chris Scott will be coaching West Coast next year, so let’s get Adam Simpson.
Good gravy, if you are wanting Adam Simpson as coach you must be really spiraling about our current situation. Peace and love to you.

I'd be surprised if they cut him loose before end of season - would only give media (particularly 'Dog haters) a scandal to go berko over. Then again, they probably will anyway with headlines like "premiership coach sacked", "2 year extension paid out by struggling club" etc etc.

I doubt Smith will walk unless he's not confident Bevo will be given his marching orders as well...
Why did they tell him that they’re not renewing his contract before the end of the season? That stuff should be done on October 1 🤦

I used to work with a bloke who was connected to the Joyce family.

We should put the feelers out and see if Alan Joyce is available. He’s a premiership coach and all. I think the Year of the Dogs unfairly painted him in a poor light.

Apart from the Steve Wallis "can you turn that camera off for a sec", and Ossie's feedback in the boardroom, there was apparently some footage they didn't use where some players were even more candid in their assessment of Alan's coaching ability and even ability to engage with players at a basic level.

But for people keen to see Chris Grant and Luke Darcy, and Bevo, move on, appointing Joyce would certainly help!

I believe he has refused any overtures to come back to the club, not that there's been many with some of his former charges in positions of authority. Was a bitter falling out, maybe justified on his part regarding being white anted by Plough, but he probably got lucky coaching a great Hawks team, then struggled with the scenario he jumped into at VUWO. Players were still devastated at Wheeler's departure, struggled with Joyce's hard arse, take no prisoners coaching methods, injuries to key talls cruelled 2 years of finals appearances, then he lost the players completely. Seemed so promising given his father actually played for Footscray, but Gordon jumped early when what looked like a shiny new toy was actually a re-painted one.

Our drop offs this year. Pretty damning.

Rd 1 Dees
Concede 6 goals in a row in 12min in the 2nd quarter.

Rd 2 Saints
Concede first 5 goals of the game. Concede another 5 goals in a row in the 3rd quarter.

Rd 4 Tigers
Concede 7 goals in a row in the 2nd quarter.

Rd 5 Port
Concede last 4 goals of game after leading by 8pts early in last quarter.

Rd 8 GWS
Concede 4 goals in a row partway through 3rd when leading by over 6 goals. Win game by 2 goals.

Rd 9 Carlton
Concede 6 goals in a row. Halfway through 3rd to halfway through 4th qtr.

Rd 11 GC
Concede 8 goals, kick 1. Partway through 1st to halftime.

Rd 12 Cats
Concede last 6 goals of game.

Rd 17 Pies
Concede 11 goals, kick 1. Partway through 2nd to early last. Lose by 2 goals.

Rd 18 Swans
Concede 6, kick 1. Early 2nd to early 3rd quarter.

Rd 20 GWS
Conceded 9 goals, kick 3. Midway through 3rd to end of game. Give up 6 goals lead.

Rd 22 Hawks
Concede 6 goals in a row. Late 2nd to early last. Lose by 3 pts.

Most of those losses we played periods of brilliant football and were in positions where we should have won. Only Rd’s 1 and 2 and the game against the Swans were games we weren’t innit at all.

Unfortunately, in all the listed games, we only applied ourselves for 50% of the game. When things got tough, or we were happy with how things were travelling, we dropped right off.
Mentally weak, poor connection between coaches and players. Whether or not the players are in Bevo’s corner or not, the messaging is wearing thin and they aren’t responding as they should.

And any supporter that still believes our issues this season lie with tactics/game day coaching or even selection decisions seriously needs to stop smoking
This statement says it all about your credibility on here. It’s a big part the players’ fault, but the failure to change positions/tactics during the run ons in those games was a huge part of why they happened. You’re absolutely kidding yourself 🤦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Gia as a coach, but not sure it's a good idea with players still active that he played with. Not sure what effect that might have on player/coach dynamic.

I’ve thought about this with Boyd as well, would it be a strange dynamic? And one of this clubs problems is the boys club/nepotistic hiring practices we have.

Ultimately though as long as the process is fair and impartial you go with the best candidate, that could be Gia/Boyd or in a slightly similar vein King and Cameron.

Whether we could make such an impartial panel to find a coach is the question.

Our drop offs this year. Pretty damning.

Rd 1 Dees
Concede 6 goals in a row in 12min in the 2nd quarter.

Rd 2 Saints
Concede first 5 goals of the game. Concede another 5 goals in a row in the 3rd quarter.

Rd 4 Tigers
Concede 7 goals in a row in the 2nd quarter.

Rd 5 Port
Concede last 4 goals of game after leading by 8pts early in last quarter.

Rd 8 GWS
Concede 4 goals in a row partway through 3rd when leading by over 6 goals. Win game by 2 goals.

Rd 9 Carlton
Concede 6 goals in a row. Halfway through 3rd to halfway through 4th qtr.

Rd 11 GC
Concede 8 goals, kick 1. Partway through 1st to halftime.

Rd 12 Cats
Concede last 6 goals of game.

Rd 17 Pies
Concede 11 goals, kick 1. Partway through 2nd to early last. Lose by 2 goals.

Rd 18 Swans
Concede 6, kick 1. Early 2nd to early 3rd quarter.

Rd 20 GWS
Conceded 9 goals, kick 3. Midway through 3rd to end of game. Give up 6 goals lead.

Rd 22 Hawks
Concede 6 goals in a row. Late 2nd to early last. Lose by 3 pts.

Most of those losses we played periods of brilliant football and were in positions where we should have won. Only Rd’s 1 and 2 and the game against the Swans were games we weren’t innit at all.

Unfortunately, in all the listed games, we only applied ourselves for 50% of the game. When things got tough, or we were happy with how things were travelling, we dropped right off.
Mentally weak, poor connection between coaches and players. Whether or not the players are in Bevo’s corner or not, the messaging is wearing thin and they aren’t responding as they should.

And any supporter that still believes our issues this season lie with tactics/game day coaching or even selection decisions seriously needs to stop smoking
Your last 2 paragraphs contradict. What do you mean?

I remember Bont said in an interview after the Brisbane win we needed to get back to basics as a team.

I also remember some ITKs saying after the st Kilda loss, some from the playing group met with some club execs without the coaches.

I reckon privately, Bont is fed up with the coaches and pissed they’re not creating the outcomes he thinks we should be as a group.

Bont is also the captain and represents the players who by all accounts have never been more tight.

There seems like there’s a clear divide emerging.
I ran into the bont at the GP. I asked for a photo. First time I've done that. He was with west, naughton and JUH. I said I'm a member, he said did you go to the Brisbane game, I didn't because I was in Sydney for the day with work, I said no. As quick as anything he says "why did you think we'd lose?". I was a little taken back and just reactively said "well yeah I thought we were going to lose ". He smiled, in like a yeah I get you. But in the 5 minutes I was with him and to be fair we were in the same venue for 6 odd hours he wasn't happy.

Bevo just said “they (Hawthorn) had powerful bodies in the midfield!” What! Jai Newcombe 50 games and Worpel 100 and we were pushed around by them???

It's an uncomfortable truth. Newcombe and Day in particular are far more dynamic and equiped to hit the contest at pace than anybody in our squad is. Regardless of games played, It's not like any of these Hawks are built like Arthur Jones and one thing we know about a side coached by Sam Mitchell is that they will be instructed to play a tough and uncompromising brand of football. Just like he did. We could do with some of that. The problem is that we'll have to burn this squad to the ground to get there.

In his press conference no one asked him why he didn’t tag Newcombe?

With whom though?

Last edited:
It's an uncomfortable truth. Newcombe and Day in particular are far more dynamic and equiped to hit the contest at pace than anybody in our squad is. Regardless of game splayed, It's not like any of these Hawks are built like Arthur Jones and one thing we know about a side coached by Sam Mitchell is that they will be instructed to play a tough and uncompromising brand of football. Just like he did. We could do with some of that. The problem is that we'll have to burn this squad to the ground to get there.

With whom though?
West?

Interested to see how we are all feeling about Bevo
Ok can I ask anyone that thinks Luke means to be forward thinking 🤔 makes our club better yes it does ..
As an older man and watching us get smashed as a kid -that’s why you never tag loose if your not good enough but win 🥇 every won loves you
We are in good hands 🙌

It's an uncomfortable truth. Newcombe and Day in particular are far more dynamic and equiped to hit the contest at pace than anybody in our squad is. Regardless of games played, It's not like any of these Hawks are built like Arthur Jones and one thing we know about a side coached by Sam Mitchell is that they will be instructed to play a tough and uncompromising brand of football. Just like he did. We could do with some of that. The problem is that we'll have to burn this squad to the ground to get there.

With whom though?
Smith, VDM, Baker . All have pace. Traditionally taggers were usually average players whose job wasn't to get the ball, but rather stop their opponent from getting the ball.

If we were to go down the path of using a tagger, he's probably the most viable candidate given his physicality. However, Im not sure that adding another one paced midfielder with questionable endurance to our midfield rotation is a great idea. I believe this is why West has been relegated to playing as a small forward. Having said we could've done worse than throwing him into the middle of the ground on the weekend. Because going back to the tried and true of using Macrae and Daniel to fill a Libba sized hole certainly didn't work.

I know that with the rise of Maginness that taggers are the talk of the game again, but Im not sure that a lot of clubs use a dedicated tagger. It seems to be a horses for courses thing. Indeed some posit that we used Bailey Smith to undertake this role on Cripps when we played Carlton in round 9. It's just that I doubt we want to burn one of our best (in theory) attacking mids playing a mostly negative role every week.

Smith, VDM, Baker . All have pace. Traditionally taggers were usually average players whose job wasn't to get the ball, but rather stop their opponent from getting the ball.
Sure. In dominant midfield. People need to get it into their heads that we no longer have a dominant midfield. No midfield rotation with the wings and Half forwards that we have could ever be considered dominant.

You're robbing Peter to pay Paul when bringing a tagger to a rotation that is already struggling to get the ball. Hawthorn had a luxury that we dont currently have. One of putting Maginness onto a HBF in Bailey Dale when Libba went down knowing their mids were gaining ascendency around the ground and that he was our next most dangerous attacking player.

If we were to go down the path of using a tagger, he's probably the most viable candidate given his physicality. However, Im not sure that adding another one paced midfielder with questionable endurance to our midfield rotation is a great idea. I believe this is why West has been relegated to playing as a small forward. Having said we could've done worse than throwing him into the middle of the ground on the weekend. Because going back to the tried and true of using Macrae and Daniel to fill a Libba sized hole certainly didn't work.

I know that with the rise of Maginness that taggers are the talk of the game again, but Im not sure that a lot of clubs use a dedicated tagger. It seems to be a horses for courses thing. Indeed some posit that we used Bailey Smith to undertake this role on Cripps when we played Carlton in round 9. It's just that I doubt we want to burn one of our best (in theory) attacking mids playing a mostly negative role every week.

Sure. In dominant midfield. People need to get it into their heads that we no longer have a dominant midfield. No midfield rotation with the wings and Half forwards that we have could ever be considered dominant.

You're robbing Peter to pay Paul when bringing a tagger to a rotation that is already struggling to get the ball. Hawthorn had a luxury that we dont currently have. One of putting Maginness onto a HBF in Bailey Dale when Libba went down knowing their mids were gaining ascendency around the ground and that he was our next most dangerous attacking player.
I don't see it that way. The Bont , Macrea/Treloar/West + Smith/VDM/Baker playing a hard tag on Newcombe.
We wouldn't have lost anything, considering we were getting smashed anyway.
Also, there's no reason why we couldn't have pulled a Sam Mitchell and put negating players on Hawthorn's key playmakers across the ground when the game looked like slipping away.

Back