Universal Love Don Pyke-On The Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta be honest he's not overly captivating. But I can imagine he'd be great to work/play with. He's so level headed and everything's about balance.

Don't think we'll ever hear him say anything outlandish in the media as he comes across as very professional. As long as he keeps winning games though I couldn't care less about how interesting he is
Can tell he has worked in big business. His comment about essentially breaking it down to some key principles for the players then it being up to the players to use their individual strengths to deliver on those principles.

Can tell he has worked in big business. His comment about essentially breaking it down to some key principles for the players then it being up to the players to use their individual strengths to deliver on those principles.
That's part of the 4 minute manager principle.

Quite reserved old Pikey.

Probably the most encouraging thing for me was his emphasis on playing to each players strengths.

This has the Sir Alex Ferguson all over it. Treating each person individually and using different methods to get different results.

I hate any coach which gives off that authoritarian vibe (Hinkley / Buckley). It's not effective man managemwnt.

Probably the most encouraging thing for me was his emphasis on playing to each players strengths.

This has the Sir Alex Ferguson all over it. Treating each person individually and using different methods to get different results.

I hate any coach which gives off that authoritarian vibe (Hinkley / Buckley). It's not effective man managemwnt.
He's done the old swot analysis, as also identified the key things we needed to improve over pre-season. #1 skills to give the players the ability to move the ball quickly with less turnovers like we have seen in 1st 2 rounds. #2 Team defence - all the good sides keep the pressure on as more likely to cause turnovers.

Last edited:
Interesting, we kicked 10.2 from defensive 50 rebounds, the biggest score since round 2, 2008. Most teams average 3 goals from defensive 50.
This ties in with what they were discussing earlier in the show. They put up stats table ranking teams based on the number of turnovers in the middle or forward part of the ground they had created. The WB led the stat and port were second. The panelists were trying to explain WBs forward press and how effective it's been so far in creating forward half turnovers and multiple F50 re-entrys. Ditto the power creating turnovers too but being lazy when the ball got through.

The interesting bit was that we were dead last, by a long way. They said they would get to us later in the show (presumably when pyke came on but never asked him a question about it). My take is that we are not doing a forward press, we are actually defending deeper and then using our guys with good strong legs (Seedsman, smith and Atkins) to try and clear the zone. This way we have a lot more space for our forwards to work with. Thus our emphasis on selecting quick players (ie why do you reckon McGovern got a run first up when Lyons clearly had the better preseason). Of course if you fail to clear the zone, the ball comes straight back in, thus port beating us by 15 in the inside 50's.

This game style is clean underwear stuff. Certainly not for the faint hearted. Could also explain the team defence mantra.

This ties in with what they were discussing earlier in the show. They put up stats table ranking teams based on the number of turnovers in the middle or forward part of the ground they had created. The WB led the stat and port were second. The panelists were trying to explain WBs forward press and how effective it's been so far in creating forward half turnovers and multiple F50 re-entrys. Ditto the power creating turnovers too but being lazy when the ball got through.

The interesting bit was that we were dead last, by a long way. They said they would get to us later in the show (presumably when pyke came on but never asked him a question about it). My take is that we are not doing a forward press, we are actually defending deeper and then using our guys with good strong legs (Seedsman, smith and Atkins) to try and clear the zone. This way we have a lot more space for our forwards to work with. Thus our emphasis on selecting quick players (ie why do you reckon McGovern got a run first up when Lyons clearly had the better preseason). Of course if you fail to clear the zone, the ball comes straight back in, thus port beating us by 15 in the inside 50's.

This game style is clean underwear stuff. Certainly not for the faint hearted. Could also explain the team defence mantra.
This is how I saw the gameplan Saturday watching live.

It's why Rat and Seed work so deep into defence.

This is how I saw the gameplan Saturday watching live.

It's why Rat and Seed work so deep into defence.
Given the game plan relies on speed and accurate kicking, Riley knight and CC will not be in the SANFL for long. The sign of a trip up by someone and they are straight in. Also we could use one of them this week to shut down houli. He will carve us up if we don't lock down on him.

Yep essentially conceding inside 50 entries could become a strength for us.. Especially if the other team press hard. Dogs v Crows will be interesting, I'll keep an eye on the Tigers game this week to see how we're defending as soon as the opposition starts to set up on a rebound.

The interesting bit was that we were dead last, by a long way. They said they would get to us later in the show (presumably when pyke came on but never asked him a question about it).

This was the best when they talked about us scoring 10.2 from defensive 50 turnovers. The most in a match since 2008 (I think). The AFL average is 17.9 points per game.

We smashed them from the back. However Don said he didn't want to rely on this kind of scoring as it meant the ball was going into defence too often.

Its intriguing. Craig changed the game with the implementation of the press. Pyke was part of that revolutionary period. 10 years later and doing his own thing, he destroyed Ports forward press. I'm getting deja vue

Not really.

Craig brought professionalism to a game style he borrowed from Eade & Wallace.

He didn't invent anything.

Good analysis and shows the size of Pyke's kahunas, to essentially move away from the forward press that was arguably our biggest strength last year.

This was the best when they talked about us scoring 10.2 from defensive 50 turnovers. The most in a match since 2008 (I think). The AFL average is 17.9 points per game.

We smashed them from the back. However Don said he didn't want to rely on this kind of scoring as it meant the ball was going into defence too often.
His cardiologist probably doesn't want him to rely on that game style either.

Although I remember us losing to Sydney many times over the last 5 years or so, where they let us have inside 50 after inside 50 then they'd just rebound down the other end and score a goal. Probably not so much in the past few years but 4-5 years ago am sure they played this sort of style. They actually didn't have that great a forward line at the time so think they tried to create the space because of that and it worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no real basis for this, but my sense is that Don Pyke is a more stable influence likely to be around for a longer haul than walshy

There was something volatile and ticking about walshys intensity, that I always sensed might have come back to bite him. It's why I always say we have no idea if he'd be successful because I'm not sure we would. He'd burn out and we'd tune out

There is something calm, centred and substantial about Pyke, like he sees a longer game that's about structure, process, evolution and getting things right. He seems a builder to me, there was something endearing but cavalier about walshy who wore his heart on his sleeve

But what do I know, it's just a guess

I have no real basis for this, but my sense is that Don Pyke is a more stable influence likely to be around for a longer haul than walshy

There was something volatile and ticking about walshys intensity, that I always sensed might have come back to bite him. It's why I always say we have no idea if he'd be successful because I'm not sure we would. He'd burn out and we'd tune out

There is something calm, centred and substantial about Pyke, like he sees a longer game that's about structure, process, evolution and getting things right. He seems a builder to me, there was something endearing but cavalier about walshy who wore his heart on his sleeve

Pyke certainly built his business with his colleagues over a long period of time. The way they went about building up a portfolio of assets, working on them to add value and then transacting to realise that value takes an enormous amount of focus, effort and patience, plus an extreme amount of business acumen to realise that value at the end. The man is now independently wealthy due to the traits you have highlighted. Hopefully these same traits prove just as successful in the football world as they did in the business world.

I think Walsh (and Fagan) laid down a very strong foundation for Pyke to build on. Walsh established a culture, Pyke is fine tuning the system.

It's a huge change in strategy if it is indeed how he intends us to play.

Which is interesting considering we constantly heard from the players during the pre-season that the game plan wouldn't change much. I get the feeling Pyke has spoon-fed them the changes in such a way that they didn't even notice how much he was changing.

Shows his intelligence as a teacher if that is the case.

And Richmond were second last.

Therefore I predict that this week, the umpire will bounce the ball, all 18 players from each team will retreat into their defensive 50 and the ball will spend the afternoon rolling around the undulations of Etihad Stadium's centre square.

Therefore I predict that this week, the umpire will bounce the ball, all 18 players from each team will retreat into their defensive 50 and the ball will spend the afternoon rolling around the undulations of Etihad Stadium's centre square.
I'd imagine this week will look a lot more like our NM game than the port game.

With this not overly structured in offence, the message

1. Play to your strengths
2. Recognise your limitations
3. Play the game that is in front of you

He's done the old swat analysis, as also identified the key things we needed to improve over pre-season. #1 skills to give the players the ability to move the ball quickly with less turnovers like we have seen in 1st 2 rounds. #2 Team defence - all the good sides keep the pressure on as more likely to cause turnovers.

You mean SWOT analysis

Strengths
Weaknesses
Opportunities
Threats

Richmond will clog up our forward line so therefore have Seedsman Smith and the like on the forward 50 kicking it over their heads and scoring. That will stop the clogging.

Richmond don't possess better skills and our forward line has ability to out score theirs. It will be like the NM game only difference is Richmond don't have the firepower like NM and especially if Deledio isn't playing as their W-L ratio without him is horrid from memory and it isn't at the G - a big difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back