List Mgmt. Draft Discussion 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the real dangerzone pick we can take?
Is there a boom or bust player we can take at 23 who has the talent to be a superstar but maybe is still there because of risks involved?
Thoughts Barrels ?
Kobe mutch all boom not bust. Reminds me of hannerby with dual kicking

in comparison here is zac fisher, whos body still needs some work in a really really bad side:
View attachment 303702

here is rotham in a good side:
View attachment 303703

guelfi in an ok side:
View attachment 303704

liam ryan in an elite state league side:
View attachment 303706

shai bolton didnt play seniors
I've heard Fisher compared to Lachie Neale, is that a good comparison do you think?

One good thing about our recruitment this year is that it means we can pick the best available and not be worried about size.

I've heard Fisher compared to Lachie Neale, is that a good comparison do you think?

One good thing about our recruitment this year is that it means we can pick the best available and not be worried about size.

How good is it.

Tall- acres, stevens, steele
Medium- ross, billings, dunstan
Small/med- steven, armo, freeman, sincs
Small- gresh

If anything zac fisher would help balance out our size now.

How good is it.

Tall- acres, stevens, steele
Medium- ross, billings, dunstan
Small/med- steven, armo, freeman, sincs
Small- gresh

If anything zac fisher would help balance out our size now.
Hate to nitpick, but;

Stevens - 189cm 88kg
Steele - 187cm 88kg
Ross - 187cm 87kg

Surely if Stevens and Steele are 'tall' then Ross is too?

Similarly, if Dunstan (184cm 84kg) is a medium mid, then surely Armitage (183cm 86kg) is as well.

I reckon you can also add McKenzie (184cm 77kg) and Newnes (184cm 81kg) to the medium mids category, and arguably Gilbert (194cm 90kg) to the talls.

I reckon that the best 22 thread highlights the fact that we're getting some serious depth happening and as such I reckon we are at a point where we can have a bit of a free hit at someone with some real x-factor. Someone who is a bit more boom or bust. If we go the conservative route there's every chance we'll get someone who won't crack the 22 for the next couple of years and may never really amount to much as a result, whereas if we gamble on someone who is a bit more boom or bust, we might not lose much if they bust, but could gain a hell of lot if they end up booming.
Gee this is a thought provoking post.

We go for a ready to go kid or a kid with potential more upside?

We just picked up two ready to go mids with mature bodies and experience in the seniors so that would point to a kid who may be considered to have huge potential but may take a while...

....but the monster trade with the two picks next year has given room to consider the risk of a ready to go kid.

If it works there is the option to head for FA armed with picks and $$$$$.

If it doesnt work option to bundle the picks and trade up for a top skilled kid in 17.
Gee what a lovely range of options. Have fun Trout

Hate to nitpick, but;

Stevens - 189cm 88kg
Steele - 187cm 88kg
Ross - 187cm 87kg

Surely if Stevens and Steele are 'tall' then Ross is too?

Similarly, if Dunstan (184cm 84kg) is a medium mid, then surely Armitage (183cm 86kg) is as well.

I reckon you can also add McKenzie (184cm 77kg) and Newnes (184cm 81kg) to the medium mids category, and arguably Gilbert (194cm 90kg) to the talls.

I reckon steele is 188 cm now. And imo 184cm to 187cm is medium.

I strongly suspect that Armo is more like 187cm than 183cm now. Just looks taller than 6 foot to me and when he and Nathan Freeman (also listed at 183cm) were walking side-by-side a few metres in front of me at the intra-club game last preseason, Armo was clearly an inch or more taller than him. No doubt about it. Doubt Freeman is shorter than he is listed at, so chances are Armo has grown since drafted.

Id love to draft Himmelberg and use that to try and pry Harrison away from GWS next year. Our first in 17 and in 18 for Sheil and Himmelberg would be so sweet.

Otherwise Id look at small forwards with a heap of pressure acts. Richo spoke to SEN during the finals about wanting a player like Cyril in the side so I wont be shocked to see us go for that boom or bust type.

Cox at 23
Himmelberg at 36

I strongly suspect that Armo is more like 187cm than 183cm now. Just looks taller than 6 foot to me and when he and Nathan Freeman (also listed at 183cm) were walking side-by-side a few metres in front of me at the intra-club game last preseason, Armo was clearly an inch or more taller than him. No doubt about it. Doubt Freeman is shorter than he is listed at, so chances are Armo

stood next to him hes my height 185

After the first 12 (plus Scheer and Macreadie as academies) I'm guessing our draft list might go something like ...

Logue
Simpkin
Florent
Berry
Bolton
Rotham
Ridley
Villis
Venables
Scharenberg
Gallucci
Powell-Pepper
Battle
Witherden
Fisher
Begley
Mutch *
Drew
Cedric Cox
Sproule *
Himmelberg
Maibaum
Brennan Cox
Hayward
Clarke
Kerr

.... that's 40.

Last edited:
where does mitch mcarthy rate in the draft range? if someone bids on him and we dont have the points to match do we go into points deficit next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the first 12 (plus Scheer and Macreadie as academies) I'm guessing our draft list might go something like ...

Logue
Simpkin
Florent
Berry
Bolton
Rotham
Ridley
Villis
Venables
Scharenberg
Gallucci
Powell-Pepper
Battle
Witherden
Fisher
Mutch *
Cedric Cox
Sproule *
Himmelberg
Maibaum
Brennan Cox
Hayward
Clarke
Kerr

looks about right.
I think i'd rather Fisher than just about any before him in that list.

Kobe mutch all boom not bust. Reminds me of hannerby with dual kicking
I dont follow the u18s much.
All i do is watch a bit of YouTube in oct/nov.
But Mutch is one that has really caught my eye, along with taranto and florent who will be gone by our pick.
He seems a ball magnet.
Isnt he a gc boy though?

Edit. In that im saying dont gc have dibs?

whats the point of nominating someone if your no hope to get anyway seem odd. cant we match the bid?
Don't think so, we just get to put someone from our zone on the category b rookie list if no one picks them up, which I don't really see the value in, especially compared to hmmm Heeney, Hopper, Mills, Himmelberg, Keays, Hipwood, Bowes, Setterfield, Scheer, Mutch :$:$

Good sign that he was playing seniors tho and also good to see that he was having plenty of shots for goal and kicking regular goals. Those numbers aren't so bad if he was playing mostly forward, either.

Interesting that Cal has us taking him at 23:

St Kilda

Pick 23: The Saints traded out of the first round and gained multiple second-round selections, plus extra first-round presence next year. Powerful midfielder Sam Powell-Pepper could be an option at their first choice, No.23. The West Australian is a busy, tough, bullocking midfielder who barges through traffic and has a great athletic profile. Another who come into consideration if the Saints want to beef up their young tall stocks is 196cm defender Elliott Himmelberg. He has been off the radar after suffering a leg injury mid-season but has talent. He’s the younger brother of GWS pick-up Harrison, but is not tied to a northern academy.

Around the mark: Will Hayward, Alex Witherden, Brennan Cox

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-22/in-the-gun-every-clubs-top-draft-target

Will Hayward seems to be a bit of a quiet achiever, he did a few good things in the Judd v O'louglin all stars game. I don't know much about him before than that.

Will Hayward seems to be a bit of a quiet achiever, he did a few good things in the Judd v O'louglin all stars game. I don't know much about him before than that.
Interesting one. I wasn't familiar with him until very recently either but they're now tipping him to be the first one taken from SA.

Has bolted up draft boards recently.

Seems to be more athletic than Membrey, but less of a natural forward.

Not sure he is really what we need, although he looks a high potential recruit.

I strongly suspect that Armo is more like 187cm than 183cm now. Just looks taller than 6 foot to me and when he and Nathan Freeman (also listed at 183cm) were walking side-by-side a few metres in front of me at the intra-club game last preseason, Armo was clearly an inch or more taller than him. No doubt about it. Doubt Freeman is shorter than he is listed at, so chances are Armo has grown since drafted.

Yeah, Freeman is tiny compared to his listed size. He was with Gresham at the jumper presentation and he wasn't to much taller. Armo looks a bit smaller than me at 6'2" but not miles off. I would have thought he'd be around 6' to 6'1"

Has bolted up draft boards recently.

Seems to be more athletic than Membrey, but less of a natural forward.

Not sure he is really what we need, although he looks a high potential recruit.

When I looked him up he'd kicked 8 goals in a SA match so he must be okay around goals. I can't remember who reviewed humbug they said he protects the ball out in front when marking and also very good over head taking the ball at it's highest point. Sounds pretty good to me but maybe not really someone we need unless we can Sam Fisher him...SA forward who went back?

When I looked him up he'd kicked 8 goals in a SA match so he must be okay around goals. I can't remember who reviewed humbug they said he protects the ball out in front when marking and also very good over head taking the ball at it's highest point. Sounds pretty good to me but maybe not really someone we need unless we can Sam Fisher him...SA forward who went back?
I think he showed glimpses of contested ball winning ability. The club might see more midfield than defensive potential.

I doubt we take him, unless the club sees him as too talented to not select at 23. Strikes me as a kid that needs a bigger tank. Could be a 2 year project to increase forward depth and dynamism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back