List Mgmt. Draft Discussion 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a closer look at Venables on Friday night. Should be illuminating.
Hey Barrels, any idea who Saints will pick up with their Category B rookie spot for our indigenous/multicultural talent pathway? The rules have been changed this year to allow a player to come in through the Category B system to fastrack the new 'heartland' areas for each club. If I'm not mistake our preferences are to be finalised in August...

Hey Barrels, any idea who Saints will pick up with their Category B rookie spot for our indigenous/multicultural talent pathway? The rules have been changed this year to allow a player to come in through the Category B system to fastrack the new 'heartland' areas for each club. If I'm not mistake our preferences are to be finalised in August...
No idea mate. Goy Lok is probably the obvious choice, but probably isn't worth the punt.

2 picks at the end of the 1st round or start of 2nd round. One of these combos; Florent + Scharenberg, Florent + Taranto, Taranto + Scharenberg. Pls Saints. Pls. Not sure how we pull it off. Depends on the shuffling of the ladder in these last few rounds. GWS could end up top 2 still. If so they'd want to be depending some trading up. Maybe Pick 9 + 2017 2nd round pick for pick 17 and pick 19.

2 picks at the end of the 1st round or start of 2nd round. One of these combos; Florent + Scharenberg, Florent + Taranto, Taranto + Scharenberg. Pls Saints. Pls. Not sure how we pull it off. Depends on the shuffling of the ladder in these last few rounds. GWS could end up top 2 still. If so they'd want to be depending some trading up. Maybe Pick 9 + 2017 2nd round pick for pick 17 and pick 19.
Not sure Taranto is there at 17 let alone 19

Not sure Taranto is there at 17 let alone 19

Eh, I could live with that. He's bolted due to recent form from what I can tell, but Scharenberg has been a damn good performer for a long time, there's always a few who jump up after the championships, but if that bumps down a few guys who have been good for a long time like Hugh Goddard, Luke Dunstan and Jake Lever, fine by me. I think people sometimes overrate the very last game/outing certain 18 year olds have going into the draft. But that's just an opinion of mine from watching the whole recruiting/drafting side of things more closely the last 3 or 4 years.

Eh, I could live with that. He's bolted due to recent form from what I can tell, but Scharenberg has been a damn good performer for a long time, there's always a few who jump up after the championships, but if that bumps down a few guys who have been good for a long time like Hugh Goddard, Luke Dunstan and Jake Lever, fine by me. I think people sometimes overrate the very last game/outing certain 18 year olds have going into the draft. But that's just an opinion of mine from watching the whole recruiting/drafting side of things more closely the last 3 or 4 years.
Jonty just will be a good player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taranto will be a jet, been watching him play for a few years if he becomes a full time mid or anything close to it he'll be a jet, built like a truck, moves so well in traffic as well, I'd be wanting Marchbank and Steele in return for trading away a pick we'll get him at

Just signed two Irish rookies.

"The Saints have signed teenaged hurling star Darragh Joyce and 22-year-old Ray Connellan, a member of 2015 International Rules squad, with both young Irishman to relocate to Melbourne as early as next month."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-2016-st-kilda-saints-punt-on-luck-of-the-irish-20160728-gqg5sr.html
Joyce is 19, 193cm 88kg and the cousin of Essenscum premiership defender Kevin Walsh.

Connellan is 22, 188cm or 191cm depending on your source and lighting quick (2.78s 20mtr sprint; second fastest ever in Combine history). Does have a nasty leg break though.

Joyce is 19, 193cm 88kg and the cousin of Essenscum premiership defender Kevin Walsh.

Connellan is 21, 188cm or 191cm depending on your source and lighting quick (2.78s 20mtr sprint; second fastest ever in Combine history). Does have a nasty leg break though.

Damn was hoping it was the taller one with the broken leg.

Connellan is 22, 188cm or 191cm depending on your source and lighting quick (2.78s 20mtr sprint; second fastest ever in Combine history). Does have a nasty leg break though.
Joyce sounds like a good kid. Still young good leadership, hopefully he is worth the punt!

Just signed two Irish rookies.

"The Saints have signed teenaged hurling star Darragh Joyce and 22-year-old Ray Connellan, a member of 2015 International Rules squad, with both young Irishman to relocate to Melbourne as early as next month."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-2016-st-kilda-saints-punt-on-luck-of-the-irish-20160728-gqg5sr.html

well.. good work by the saints to give these guys a shot
Joyce looks a good specimen
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-21/the-next-big-irish-import
But Cennellen has had a pretty bad leg break just recently
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gae...-make-you-proud-to-be-a-gaa-fan-34917343.html

With the draft standing slipping, I think

Taranto
Galluci
Graham
Clarke

Would become the saints targets...

Last edited:
I'm falling off Venables faster than an old scab.

You can see he's got the talent, the speed and the strength, but he did bugger all for most of the game (again) at the AGSV Grand Final.

He'll probably go before our pick in any event...

Not that nasty. Just a double break of the fibula from what I've read. If you break your leg, you want it to be the fibula, not the tibia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back