Dustin Martin 2017 - Best Single Season For A Star Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Matthews says Dusty is better than him. Said Dusty had the best season of any player ever.

Leigh says all sorts of silly things these days.

Thank you and goodnight.
It's been an honour and a privilege to correspond with (comfortably) one of the top two dozen footy intellects on BF.

You are indeed fortunate.

Geez the richmond win has been traumatic for some.

They seem to spend more of their time defending it rather than celebrating it, and it's an argument they can't win.

I know North weren't the best side in 99, but that fact didn't stop my enjoyment. The fact we pinched it off our historical nemesis only heightened the experience for me.

Oh by the way...

Martin (2017) 744 disposals and 37 goals

Matthews (1977) 658 and 91 goals

Not really close...

Hawks beaten twice in the finals, didn't make the GF. That evens it up a bit. Also, the same logic that applies to possessions being worth more back in the day goes the other way with goals. Lethal wasn't even the Hawks leading goalkicker that year. He also didn't finish top three in the Brownlow. Didn't take out the main media award either.

It's an incredible season statistically, but it wasn't even regarded as the best individual season of 1977.

ablett 1993/1989, the year kouta dominated, carey 1996.

come on martins season wasnt close to these. if danger didnt get suspended and played in the gf this thread would be on danger.
But Danger did get suspended and the Cats really weren't up to it this year. When Geelong played Richmond in the first final Martin stood up and took control and Dangerfield got swallowed up in the mayhem of the second half of that match.

Geez the richmond win has been traumatic for some.

They seem to spend more of their time defending it rather than celebrating it, and it's an argument they can't win.

I know North weren't the best side in 99, but that fact didn't stop my enjoyment. The fact we pinched it off our historical nemesis only heightened the experience for me.
If you were half as intelligent as you claim to be snake you would have understood what he was getting at and not replied in the way you did;)
It was in reference to people like you who have melted hard over us dominating the finals and never looking like losing, not what you thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

36 + 2 = 38? I remember that game, Cripps was OK but Martin clear best on. Personally I'm not a fan of losing team's players getting votes in a lop-sided game. I figure if that player was so good then the game would have been closer, and conversely there has to be some deserving players in the winning team responsible for the big margin. Ablett's made an artform of it at GC

Agreed. Bobby Skilton was a two bit hack. All three of his Brownlows have an asterisk as far as im concerned.

Yep, it's a bit of a conundrum isn't it Helen? Whose opinion carries more weight, Snake's or Leigh Matthew's?

It certainly gets about 30 of you lot up and about on a daily basis.

He had a amazing season, as good or better than even the great Gary Ablett Jnr in his peak seasons, but I still rank Buddy's 2008 as the best I've seen.

I didn't watch enough of Buddy that year to really judge, but I would understand if someone thought that way. Buddy's best was special.

In hindsight, I think Gary Ablett Jnr impressed me mostly because of his consistently very big statistical output and class more than his absolute intangible impact on games.

I remember him kicking multiple goals and being everywhere... but not like Dusty.

Let's be honest, he should've been suspended for deliberately punching Nick Robertson in the head. Otherwise great season.

Let's be honest, he should've been suspended for deliberately punching Nick Robertson in the head. Otherwise great season.
The fact that he did that to a guy who had been sniping him all day and got away with it makes his eason greater I would have thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back