EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that’s 3 weeks suspension as must protect the player going for the ball. Not sure the MV had intention of getting the ball. I’ve seen worse but that wasn’t great. 3 weeks is about right.

Bit going on after that. I’m not a fan of grounds with no fences as a scuffle occurred post restart and was close to the crowd. What was said to Elliot to fire him up as always found him to be a pretty relaxed character.
I think it was the MV coach's son that got sent off and Elliot was getting stuck into him over it.

Hearing the blokes in a bad way.

Seemed to be coming from the coaches area. Jack's a pretty passionate bloke so I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired up a bit at that point.
No good, wishing the best for the injured party.
From my viewing, Elliott was more or less wandering around, Short seemed to be the one getting stuck into a few.

No good, wishing the best for the injured party.
From my viewing, Elliott was more or less wandering around, Short seemed to be the one getting stuck into a few.
Yeah correct and I guess Roxy can take some learnings out of this as well, as they didn’t carry on as much as I’ve seen in previous years and they ended up winning. So focus on the ball instead of trying to even to score and results follow.

I'm hearing the Moonee Valley player was offered three weeks by the umpires.
He appealed and sure enough.....the tribunal has let him off.
Looking forward to how this plays out now.
Interested in everyone's thoughts.
21:40 into the second quarter.
I know that if the roles were reversed a Roxy player would have had another 3 thrown on top of the three he was given.
What a laughing stock this administration has become.

Yeah correct and I guess Roxy can take some learnings out of this as well, as they didn’t carry on as much as I’ve seen in previous years and they ended up winning. So focus on the ball instead of trying to even to score and results follow.
Good Point, don't think I've seen a game where Short doesn't try and play the Hero!!! Bit rich him sooking up especially when this incident looked more of an accident than anything else

I know that if the roles were reversed a Roxy player would have had another 3 thrown on top of the three he was given.
Looking at the footage I would have thought a 3-week suspension to be stiff considering it looked like an attempted tackle front on and seemed more of a collision of two players then anything malicious.
The roxy bloke leads in with his head and makes it almost impossible to not get him high in that split second contest, if anything it seems he runs headfirst into the oncoming MV players chest which led to the unfortunate outcome.
I think it would have been unfair to let the outcome of the tackle/collision play a large factor in a lengthy suspension.
Hope the roxy player is on the mend and can be back out soon.

Looking at the footage I would have thought a 3-week suspension to be stiff considering it looked like an attempted tackle front on and seemed more of a collision of two players then anything malicious.
The roxy bloke leads in with his head and makes it almost impossible to not get him high in that split second contest, if anything it seems he runs headfirst into the oncoming MV players chest which led to the unfortunate outcome.
I think it would have been unfair to let the outcome of the tackle/collision play a large factor in a lengthy suspension.
Hope the roxy player is on the mend and can be back out soon.
I think the fact the Moonee Valley player was also coming front on then turned his body, lowered himself and braced for contact with a hip & shoulder, is just my interpretation of it.
The fact he got off is bewildering to me.
I don't think the Roxy boy will be allowed to play football again from what's coming out of Roxy.

I think the fact the Moonee Valley player was also coming front on then turned his body, lowered himself and braced for contact with a hip & shoulder, is just my interpretation of it.
The fact he got off is bewildering to me.
I don't think the Roxy boy will be allowed to play football again from what's coming out of Roxy.
Yes that’s what I viewed as well. He turned sideways and choose to bump. Must protect the head. Must be weeks..

Wouldn’t quite agree with not trying to square the ledger. This action seems much worse than the 3 week incident. Bit ridiculous that it isn’t looked at because the player is fine and there’s no carry on from the players.
View attachment 1989462
No way that’s worse than what I seen in the bump mate. Just my thoughts and I’m no fan of Roxy either..

Yes that’s what I viewed as well. He turned sideways and choose to bump. Must protect the head. Must be weeks..
I'm not a supporter of either team so not taking sides, but IMO the MV does not choose to bump, if you pause the incident you will see his right hand around the Roxy players left hip and his left arm coming up over his right shoulder as you would in a tackling motion. Yes the Roxy player gets the free for high contact, but it's not reportable IMO as the MV player did not elect to bump. Sounds like the Roxy player is still not in a good way and I hope he recovers soon, no one wants to see players getting hurt so bad they have to give the game away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got to be farken kidding. Surely the league appeal this themselves. The league now need to set the precedent and show they are serious about this kind of thing. Ridiculous to think this gets off yet last year a bloke got two weeks for calling and umpire bald! The player is self employed and won't work for a few weeks and is likely to not play again this season but we let this sort of act go? Geez, you'd dead set have to kill someone if this is the case to get weeks in the future!

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not a supporter of either team so not taking sides, but IMO the MV does not choose to bump, if you pause the incident you will see his right hand around the Roxy players left hip and his left arm coming up over his right shoulder as you would in a tackling motion. Yes the Roxy player gets the free for high contact, but it's not reportable IMO as the MV player did not elect to bump. Sounds like the Roxy player is still not in a good way and I hope he recovers soon, no one wants to see players getting hurt so bad they have to give the game away.
Forget where his hands are was high contact made to players head ? Yes result of contact ? Player knocked out and taken to hospital via ambulance. How does that go down at the AFL tribunal ? He chose to lead with his hip when you make contact to the head you take responsibility for the result it’s plain and simple.

It’s now a 21 day concussion protocol for local football there has to a similar ban for the action.

The player was running towards his goals and has every right to put his head over a ground ball. But he should also feel that he will be protected by doing so lucky for him the umpire seen it that way.

You've got to be farken kidding. Surely the league appeal this themselves. The league now need to set the precedent and show they are serious about this kind of thing. Ridiculous to think this gets off yet last year a bloke got two weeks for calling and umpire bald! The player is self employed and won't work for a few weeks and is likely to not play again this season but we let this sort of act go? Geez, you'd dead set have to kill someone if this is the case to get weeks in the future!

The action didn’t look malice but the action needs to change but wont if the players aren’t called out/suspended for it or educated.
EDFL you have a duty of care to all players but this outcome sets a bad precedent. The biggest issue in footy Australia wide at the moment is Concussion and the EDFL tribunal has let this league down. The EDFL executive and board should be called out by all clubs for this outcome. By the way EDFL Executive and Board you are responsible so you need to get it right.

Forget where his hands are was high contact made to players head ? Yes result of contact ? Player knocked out and taken to hospital via ambulance. How does that go down at the AFL tribunal ? He chose to lead with his hip when you make contact to the head you take responsibility for the result it’s plain and simple.

It’s now a 21 day concussion protocol for local football there has to a similar ban for the action.

The player was running towards his goals and has every right to put his head over a ground ball. But he should also feel that he will be protected by doing so lucky for him the umpire seen it that way.
Great response and I agree I thought he leaned in with his hips. You must now stop and tackle. It’s just the way footy is nowadays. It’s 3 weeks..

So you just want a bloke suspended for trying to tackle and an accident has occurred?

So if there is a head clash do you suspend both players? Where do you draw the line?

May as well make footy a non tackle / Physical game? We’ve broken off in zones now at the centre ball ups just need to now get rid of the tackling and contact and the games is dead.

Great response and I agree I thought he leaned in with his hips. You must now stop and tackle. It’s just the way footy is nowadays. It’s 3 weeks..
Completely neutral here. I must be watching a different incident. In no way, shape or form does there look to be any intended malice or a turn and drive from the hips from the MV player whatsoever. Make no mistake, i would be happy to see a couple weeks suspension purely on the outcome, and to try and get a better result from similar incidents like this in the future. However this is a brutal sport and contact like this can unfortunately occur. It looked in no way a cheap shot from the vision i seen. I wish the Roxy boy all the very best in his recovery as it is horrible to see incidents and injuries like these ones on a football field.

Completely neutral here. I must be watching a different incident. In no way, shape or form does there look to be any intended malice or a turn and drive from the hips from the MV player whatsoever. Make no mistake, i would be happy to see a couple weeks suspension purely on the outcome, and to try and get a better result from similar incidents like this in the future. However this is a brutal sport and contact like this can unfortunately occur. It looked in no way a cheap shot from the vision i seen. I wish the Roxy boy all the very best in his recovery as it is horrible to see incidents and injuries like these ones on a football field.
Agree, and if roles are reversed then Roxy are trying to get their guy off on the same bases. People look for a scape goat once “their” teams player is hurt.

I don't think anyone said in any way, shape or form this was a cheap shot, but everyone knows these days if you choose to go at the ball in this fashion then you get weeks, especially with the injury sustained. No malice, no intent, but it was sloppy and could see someone out of the game forever.

May as well make footy a non tackle / Physical game? We’ve broken off in zones now at the centre ball ups just need to now get rid of the tackling and contact and the games is dead.
Cool story... the game will be even more dead if blokes stop playing because of head knocks like this. If people keep getting knocked out like this and walk away from the game in numbers like we are seeing recently, we won't have to worry about the rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back