EDFL Premier Div 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The argument a few posts ago was restricting the number of players to these clubs, you want them to have more kids? Not sure your 'plan' will achieve that.

Oh, you're being facetious? I thought economics may not have been your strong suit :p

These clubs only want more junior teams so they can earn more money to pay senior players. Look at the correlation between extra junior teams and ballooning wages for seniors players over the last 15 years.

These clubs only want more junior teams so they can earn more money to pay senior players. Look at the correlation between extra junior teams and ballooning wages for seniors players over the last 15 years.

Who said they want more junior teams?

I can tell you most don't have the grounds to field more teams and are happy with what they have.

Who said they want more junior teams?

I can tell you most don't have the grounds to field more teams and are happy with what they have.

If they dont want them, they just cap numbers. I guarantee your big clubs wont knock back 25 kids at $500 a pop. Think of all those over the hill ex AFL players who couldn't give a toss about the club they could get for that.

The argument a few posts ago was restricting the number of players to these clubs, you want them to have more kids? Not sure your 'plan' will achieve that.

Oh, you're being facetious? I thought economics may not have been your strong suit :p

Star, the junior player registration should have a maximum set fee imo. Clubs can have a registration lower than the set amount to attract less advantaged people ( which happens now at some clubs struggling for juniors) but think $500 or whatever the costs, are ridiculous.

Yes it will no doubt increase numbers at some bigger clubs but let’s cap it. As I also tend to agree the extra $$ goes towards senior player payments at some bigger clubs.

Question: what does $500 cover though. Once you pay rego, weekly umpire fees and playing attire that’s close to $500. If you don’t need the jumper and shorts it’s obviously less.

I would like to think just registration ( nothing else like game fees) should be about $150-200 per child. That seems fair.

Star, the junior player registration should have a maximum set fee imo. Clubs can have a registration lower than the set amount to attract less advantaged people ( which happens now at some clubs struggling for juniors) but think $500 or whatever the costs, are ridiculous.

Yes it will no doubt increase numbers at some bigger clubs but let’s cap it. As I also tend to agree the extra $$ goes towards senior player payments at some bigger clubs.

Question: what does $500 cover though. Once you pay rego, weekly umpire fees and playing attire that’s close to $500. If you don’t need the jumper and shorts it’s obviously less.

I would like to think just registration ( nothing else like game fees) should be about $150-200 per child. That seems fair.

Potting membership fees is silly. Strathmore's includes about $200 worth of transferable raffle tickets. The club's theory is they don't do fundraisers of this type later in the year and members can either purchase them or on sell them. Also, SFC fee is per family, regardless of how many kids play.

Irrespective, if a club's fees are too dear, wouldn't that be an equalisation factor and send kids down the road to the club that is 'cheaper'?

The numbers are capped at 100 per age group.

No, they are capped at 4 teams at U9, U11, U13 and U15 and 3 teams at U17

You telling me Abers or Strathmore would not be happy if they were upped to 150.

That is exactly what I'm telling you. SFC does not have the grounds and already have to play Friday night games.

Potting membership fees is silly. Strathmore's includes about $200 worth of transferable raffle tickets. The club's theory is they don't do fundraisers of this type later in the year and members can either purchase them or on sell them. Also, SFC fee is per family, regardless of how many kids play.

Irrespective, if a club's fees are too dear, wouldn't that be an equalisation factor and send kids down the road to the club that is 'cheaper'?

Raffle tickets is code for paying senior players exorbitant amounts of money. Why dont these clubs actually put the money back into facilities for juniors rather than crying poor to councils and governments.

They are amateur clubs FFS and should be treated accordingly.

I think that’s the point Star. $200 worth of raffle tickets is a joke imo. It seems like the private school model of where they expect parents to make donations.
If any of my kids played for Strathmore I would refuse to pay (or as you say take under no obligation to sell) for those raffle tickets.
Unfortunately Star I agree with Planks in that it’s purely a donation to the senior match payments as what is the profit margin of this so called raffle. 70-80k..

Good way to make player payments outside the cap with this allocated money. Even 50% of this profit is 2 players on 1000 a game.

Only my views buddy however if you reside in Strathmore $200 is nothing compared to parents living in some other areas.

I think that’s the point Star. $200 worth of raffle tickets is a joke imo. It seems like the private school model of where they expect parents to make donations.
If any of my kids played for Strathmore I would refuse to pay (or as you say take under no obligation to sell) for those raffle tickets.
Unfortunately Star I agree with Planks in that it’s purely a donation to the senior match payments as what is the profit margin of this so called raffle. 70-80k..

Good way to make player payments outside the cap with this allocated money. Even 50% of this profit is 2 players on 1000 a game.

Only my views buddy however if you reside in Strathmore $200 is nothing compared to parents living in some other areas.
Turbo FFS, sometimes you really need to engage your brain before going into print, or possibly employ a ghost writer to vet and correct your work before posting. Payments to players at Strathmore are fully transparent and declared to the appropriate authority, just like at every other club.

Where the money comes from, ( bar profits, sponsors, investments, tattslotto winnings, or even a raffle ticket fee ) is totally irrelevant, as long as all player payments are disclosed. Which they are. To try and insinuate that Strathmore are somehow circumventing the salary cap because they utilise monies from a raffle ticket fee is illogical and obviously wrong.

As for as the rest of your childish, snide comments about Strathmore, I doubt if anyone at Strathmore gives a fl..ng f..k what you think, be they the club, players, supporters, parents, or the kids.

But there I’ve gone and replied, and am kicking myself for having done so. I’ve wasted 5 minutes of my life, which I’ll never get back.

Last edited:
Turbo FFS, sometimes you really need to engage your brain before going into print, or possibly employ a ghost writer to vet and correct your work before posting. Payments to players at Strathmore are fully transparent and declared to the appropriate authority, just like at every other club.

Where the money comes from, ( bar profits, sponsors, investments, tattslotto winnings, or even a raffle ticket fee ) is totally irrelevant, as long as all player payments are disclosed. Which they are. To try and insinuate that Strathmore are somehow circumventing the salary cap because they utilise monies from a raffle ticket fee is illogical and obviously wrong.

As for as the rest of your childish, snide comments about Strathmore, I doubt if anyone at Strathmore gives a fl..ng f..k what you think, be they the club, players, supporters, parents, or the kids.

But there I’ve gone and replied, and am kicking myself for having done so. I’ve wasted 5 minutes of my life, which I’ll never get back.

I feel your pain Stax, I’ve just spent 5 minutes reading the greatest load of s**t I’ve ever read, that time lost.
I guess my request for all this s**t to be aired in another forum isn’t going to happen.
The title of this should be Premier Div 2019 and whatever other s**t you feel like venting.
I’m outta here, might tune back in when season starts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here we go again.

Has it ever occurred to you that parents tend to gravitate toward the best run clubs (best junior programmes and culture) as well as ensuring kids play with their mates? This begins at U11 and even U9 level (even earlier with SFC which has a 4yo-6yo programme). It is obviously a parent's decision made largely on the factors above. It is no coincidence that Abers, Keilor and Strathmore max out their junior team numbers because they work bloody hard on it!

Why punish clubs for being well run?
I don't have an issue with your point so long as the teams are graded properly. If they are good enough one club can have two teams in the same grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please show me where I said that?

My only mention of Abers was "It is no coincidence that Abers, Keilor and Strathmore max out their junior team numbers because they work bloody hard on it!" Hardly an earth shattering statement.

You then went off on a tangent about salary cap rorting in senior football.

I assume by 'success' you're referring to premierships?

The EDFL grading system ensures equalisation in that regard. I think SFC won a single flag last year (in one of the U11 teams). That was from about 20 junior teams. You will find the same clubs get 'punished' for their good management so many of those 2nd and 3rd teams end up in Division 2 and 3 playing against other clubs 1sts teams.

So your argument of premierships as a measure of success doesn't wash either.
Your argument is flawed. You say players go to better run clubs indicating the best players, but then you complain about your second/third team playing against other teams first team, those not good enough or willing to travel to get to the teams you mention have to play somewhere. This is evident the other year when Abers won all three u17 comps.

Never cheated (refer to AFL vic findings where they clearly state it was inadvertent) but im sure I won't convince anyone who already made up their minds long ago

I concur with Star. Those that look at other clubs with a big chip on their shoulder fail to appreciate that perhaps maybe, just maybe, they might be doing something right. Lets use Strathmore as an example, ive heard theyre putting a lot of time into juniors and they are blooding lots of homegrowns into their senior team with an eye on long term. Some might say they have advantages others don't but they are still adapting. Same goes with jets Keilor and now pacco are starting to bring in younger age bracket. But as I said above I do agree clubs like Avondale deserve more points to give them time to adjust to points system
Inadvertent my arse, you knew what the cap was and you went above it. Surely someone could of worked the maths. You could of gone into games with 20 players just to reduce payments, or do what EDS had the balls to do and reduce payments mid season. Yes they have suffered the past two seasons but they did it. They also refused to pay excessive amounts to players which saw them drop to div 1. They are far from perfect but I respect them for their stance.

Inadvertent my arse, you knew what the cap was and you went above it. Surely someone could of worked the maths. You could of gone into games with 20 players just to reduce payments, or do what EDS had the balls to do and reduce payments mid season. Yes they have suffered the past two seasons but they did it. They also refused to pay excessive amounts to players which saw them drop to div 1. They are far from perfect but I respect them for their stance.

Totally different circumstances but I agree douttas did try correct their mistake. There was a credit given to assistant coaches according to the league. The issue arose when abers did not know they had to get sign off from AFL vic for assistant coaches so 20% credit was not allowed and therefore abers were over. Sometimes the truth is really boring. But please bring on the vitriol

I think that’s the point Star. $200 worth of raffle tickets is a joke imo.

Yeah, I reckon we're going in circles.

Club allows the opportunity of selling $200 odd worth of raffle tickets to off set some of the $500 membership and you bleat about payments outside the salary cap? Way to draw a long bow!

The irony here is that club is maxed out in many junior grades so they're not doing too badly

Haha. Stax I’m glad to see you are still following my posts.

Either way the extra income (or part of it) raised through this “raffle” goes towards the senior playing budget in some way. I’m not in favour of hitting up junior parents for this type of amount..

Yeah, I reckon we're going in circles.

Club allows the opportunity of selling $200 odd worth of raffle tickets to off set some of the $500 membership and you bleat about payments outside the salary cap? Way to draw a long bow!

The irony here is that club is maxed out in many junior grades so they're not doing too badly

Star, I’ve never said they are doing badly and agree they are definitely one of the strongest junior clubs in the league. Great women’s program as well. Actually all said and done I don’t mind Strathmore Junior Footy Club.

With coaches like Scott West you were always going to be strong. Seen him at a few junior games and he just enjoys the footy and shows his class. He doesn’t stand or mingle with people who criticise the game from either team..

Totally different circumstances but I agree douttas did try correct their mistake. There was a credit given to assistant coaches according to the league. The issue arose when abers did not know they had to get sign off from AFL vic for assistant coaches so 20% credit was not allowed and therefore abers were over. Sometimes the truth is really boring. But please bring on the vitriol

I personally don't mind Abers but what you've stated hardly paints those involved in a good light, it's a teachable moment for all clubs I suppose.

Haha. Stax I’m glad to see you are still following my posts.

Either way the extra income (or part of it) raised through this “raffle” goes towards the senior playing budget in some way. I’m not in favour of hitting up junior parents for this type of amount..

Star, I’ve never said they are doing badly and agree they are definitely one of the strongest junior clubs in the league. Great women’s program as well. Actually all said and done I don’t mind Strathmore Junior Footy Club.

With coaches like Scott West you were always going to be strong. Seen him at a few junior games and he just enjoys the footy and shows his class. He doesn’t stand or mingle with people who criticise the game from either team..
Extremely hard to avoid you Turbo. After all, you seem to pop up everywhere.

Would have been nice though if you had admitted you were wrong when you accused Strathmore of circumventing the cap.

And anyway, it’s hardly any of your business if parents are happy to pay the fees designated by the club. It’s not as if you have any affiliation with, or love for Strathmore. Far from it.

Cheers

Last edited:
I personally don't mind Abers but what you've stated hardly paints those involved in a good light, it's a teachable moment for all clubs I suppose.

A cautionary tale for all clubs and even more so the league! Those involved were simply galvanised and hence you saw the result this year. Anyway, football is much more interesting than this sh*t

You respect EDS for breaking contracts mid season. Why not keep all the players on the same money they were contracted to from the start of the year , let the AFL investigate and find that they had gone over the 250k cap and shrug it off like they’ve did nothing wrong , which is what most EDS supporters believe anyway.
EDS Pacco and Abers were all found guilty of breaches to the salary cap in 2017 and EDS played a game over the points cap as well.
Dispute that.

You respect EDS for breaking contracts mid season. Why not keep all the players on the same money they were contracted to from the start of the year , let the AFL investigate and find that they had gone over the 250k cap and shrug it off like they’ve did nothing wrong , which is what most EDS supporters believe anyway.
EDS Pacco and Abers were all found guilty of breaches to the salary cap in 2017 and EDS played a game over the points cap as well.
Dispute that.
I respect that they made a really tough decision.
They played an under 19 boy in the seniors. It's not like he was an ex AFL/VFL player or someone of significance.

I respect that they made a really tough decision.
They played an under 19 boy in the seniors. It's not like he was an ex AFL/VFL player or someone of significance.

An under 18 player who only attracted an extra point playing against Greenvale who he left as a junior because he couldn't get a go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back