ELECTION NIGHT: The OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a specific party trend with postals/pre-polls/absentees? I have never paid much attention to them previously.

I'm not sure there is. But some pre-polls and postal votes occurred during the 2nd and the 3rd weeks of the campaign when the ALP was looking crappy. That might play into it.

On the other hand, postal votes often lean toward the ALP, with the exception of army personal, in which case they are 'advised' to vote for the Liberal Party. My brother (who is in Afghanistan) was shocked at this 'advice' as he is an ALP voter.

That's the way they do things in the WA Nats...they hold the stick and beat you with it until the cash falls out...eg Royalties for regions

Unfortunately they also then bend over and take it from the Libs every time. They almost stood for something this time around, until Grylls folded. Now the government is cutting the funding back and allocating R4R money to existing programs. Its time at least one Nat grew some balls.

A good question, but to what degree do you blame the people or the politicians.

Also choosing to vote for the minor parties is hardly "no choice".

Anyway calling Australia a democracy is a bit of a stretch (in real world terms not technical), we are a representative democracy, yet are compelled to vote and have two major parties which have a hairs breadth difference in policy.

I have never had the sense that any prime minister/major party has had the electorates best interests at heart in the short time that I have been alive.

I put our current standing in the world down to isolation, fortune in terms of resources etc., a culture which encourages good work ethic and despite the relative crapulance and dishonesty of our political leaders, a relatively benign or stable system of government.

Can't think of anything in this post with which I disagree. This is the true meaning of what Donald Horne wrote in that most misunderstood book, 'The Lucky Country'. We survive, not because of the brilliance of what we do, but because of a happy juxtaposition of circumstances, over which we have little control.

What practical issues? Not voting is very easy. I did it from my couch.
Dodginess with mobilising voters, for a start. Parties paying for buses from their heartlands to the polling booths. The randomness of weather in different electorates affecting turnout... I don't necessarily mind about lazy voters staying at home because it's raining, but it's distasteful that the electorates with sun benefit from equally fair weather voters showing up.

There is a lot of stuff that I find on the nose about voluntary voting that is just not an issue with the compulsory version.

Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!
Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!
Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!
Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!
Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!
Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!
Julia!Julia!Julia!Julia!

Talk about robots. Who the hell chants for a political party?

Liberals:p

Have absentee votes already been counted tonight? Is it just the postals and pre-polls to come?

I believe any postal and pre-polls lodged from their own electorate are counted tonight, and those sent from outside the electorate are counted later. In any case, counting stopped at 11PM.

Interestingly some members that we thought were across the line aren't claiming victory just yet fearing that postals and pre-polls are against them.

I don't necessarily mind about lazy voters staying at home because it's raining, but it's distasteful that the electorates with sun benefit from equally fair weather voters showing up.

That is up there with being against daylight savings because if fades the curtains.

Next thing you will be asking for working families to be given brollies in the name of democracy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are all those right wing nut jobs that had a go at the Labor freaks for chanting Julia gonna come forward and admit they're hypocrites now after that Tony chant? Absolute ferals.

Interesting that the likely first indigenous Federal MP will be representing the Liberal party. He's probably lucky that ironbar won't be sitting next to him.

Are all those right wing nut jobs that had a go at the Labor freaks for chanting Julia gonna come forward and admit they're hypocrites now after that Tony chant? Absolute ferals.

The contemporary Liberal/National Party vote is comprised of bogans of the highest order. They are now the bogan party.

Unless they're devout lesbians, there's little likelihood of his daughters being unable to find a bloke. This might be what Tony is good at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back