Farewell to the WACA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heading down today for the afternoon, will be nice to see it off as a international venue.

Mark Nicholas just mentioned he feared a loss of inviduality in the pitches etc as we moved towards ‘sports stadia’ - it’s a fair point but honestly, look at the joint, it’s 30 years past being a world class venue, a patch work of stands and some bloody awful seats all over the ground.

If it had been redeveloped into a ‘premium boutique’ type venue which at one point was on the table (15 years ago?), it would have been excellent but that didn’t happen and it’s time to move on - much like Subiaco Oval, there is just no argument in 2018.

The funny thing is all the nostalgia about the WACA as a venue has started this year, simply because of the move to the new stadium.

Every other year the WACA test is a mixed bag of 'pace and bounce', 'hot', 'Fremantle doctor', 'value for your shots', 'good place to bat once you get in' then recycled anecdotes about Lillee and Thommo 35 years ago, Curtly Ambrose taking 7/1, Gilly's 57 ball ton etc.

I'm struggling to think of any past Ashes test where anyone has mentioned liking the actual venue. 'It's a great place to watch cricket'. Actually no it isn't. It's the best playing surface I've seen anywhere and historically produces fast pitches conducive to plenty of wickets and boundaries, but the small venue/sitting close to the action thing is counteracted by the complete lack of shade and risk of third degree burns. Even yesterday wasn't a hot day and as soon as the breeze dropped off it felt like an oven sitting in front of the Inverarity Stand.

Was at an ODI back when ODI's would sell out the WACA. Brett Lee took 28 runs off 1 over and the crowd was electric. That same match Gilchrist got out in the strangest way with the ball bouncing off his pad, hitting the back of his bat on to the back of his helmet and then on to his stumps.

In that era youd pray Australia won the toss and batted 1st just to get value for money. Because if the opposition batted 1st we would skittle them for sub 200 then make the total batting in less than 30 overs

Interestingly this is a fair way from the reality that summer. The Proteas and Kiwis were out here for that tri-series, brought over very experienced and quality ODI teams and each did the Australian's over a couple of times to the extent it was a foreign final for the series.

Was a great tournament though, can think of a couple of very memorable games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001–02_VB_Series

The WACA is a ground I love and I really wish cricket was not going to the new stadium but after watching this test on another batting highway I could not care less anymore.

One ball hits one crack at the end of day 4 and the commentators won't stop going on about it.

When I was a kid you'd hope day 4 fell on a week day because chances are there wasn't going to be any cricket on.

One ball hits one crack at the end of day 4 and the commentators won't stop going on about it.

When I was a kid you'd hope day 4 fell on a week day because chances are there wasn't going to be any cricket on.

1200 runs in 4 days says it all, these curators are escaping criticism because results are occurring. Other than that one Starc ball which was not his doing every ball has been gun barrel straight. How any batsman worth his salt can get out on this pitch is beyond me. Just simply poor batting to not cash in here.

1200 runs in 4 days says it all, these curators are escaping criticism because results are occurring. Other than that one Starc ball which was not his doing every ball has been gun barrel straight. How any batsman worth his salt can get out on this pitch is beyond me. Just simply poor batting to not cash in here.

I was scratching my head sitting there at the ground on day 3 wondering how England managed to lose 6/35 the day before.

this curator couldn't give a s**t about his job

who let's the cover fly off overnight to allow down pouring of rain to effect the wicket?

the poms may now complain about his "hair drying technique"

He is off to be the curator at the MCG so good riddance to him. In all fairness though all the curators around Australia are instructed to produce these roads, if they don't they get sacked.
The other thing is that they are getting results on these tracks which is mind boggling to say the least.

We pretty much grind teams into the ground these days to get results. You get draws like the other year where Ross Taylor hung around and made 290 or where Faf du Plessis batted out nearly 8 hours but most of the time opposition teams end up capitulating out of exhaustion/boredom.

this curator couldn't give a s**t about his job

who let's the cover fly off overnight to allow down pouring of rain to effect the wicket?

the poms may now complain about his "hair drying technique"
Blame the idiots in charge that thought a good cost cutting idea would be to make the groundsmen casuals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully not. The pitch in the trial match was pretty lively.

It is a directive to repare these pitches. The WACA deck could easily be prepared as its old self but channel 9 and the ACB don’t want that as the players can’t handle it.
Pace and bounce are nothing unless there is seam movement which made the WACA famous. This pitch we just watched had plenty of pace and bounce in it, but it was gun barrel straight and a batting paradise.

Not to derail the thread, and I promise I will make this comment and this comment only, but can whoever keeps barring me from threads every time I disagree with one particular poster stop and work out whether it is really that much of a transgression?

Every man and his dog can accuse teams or players (or even groundstaff) of cheating, we can have sexual references, references to dark skinned men and their pelvic dimensions, and week long back and forth arguments over everything from the underarm ball to the state of Australian pitches but we can’t have two blokes slinging what is usually good natured s**t at each other for half an hour every few days.

End rant.

Hopefully not. The pitch in the trial match was pretty lively.

Err it was?

Mitchell Johnson on MMM essentially said it was low, slow and s**t.

Used to be a great wicket. Been dull now for a few years

Remember 1992 v West Indies when Ambrose destroyed australia. That was amazing viewing

And that was what was so exciting about the WACA, going on the first day and knowing how critical the toss was and that you were about to see a real test of a batsman’s ability.
I have not been for years now as they have removed this from the game and watching batsman plunder the bowling is the domain of 20/20 and 50 over cricket. Not test cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back