• Melbourne

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Swans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion clubs get expansion picks. Get stuck in a revolving door of having too many talented players to pay, or paying them too much and needing to clear them, or overpaying a few top level players (Coniglio anyone...) and then having to work out deals on the next core.

And Vic clubs are slimy for improving their lists?

As a club that just lost a pick 1 by not doing enough, I say it's the clubs own fault. And certainly more so if you've got more top picks than you can poke a stick at and can't decide which ones to pay.

Expansion clubs get expansion picks. Get stuck in a revolving door of having too many talented players to pay, or paying them too much and needing to clear them, or overpaying a few top level players (Coniglio anyone...) and then having to work out deals on the next core.

And Vic clubs are slimy for improving their lists?

As a club that just lost a pick 1 by not doing enough, I say it's the clubs own fault. And certainly more so if you've got more top picks than you can poke a stick at and can't decide which ones to pay.
It isn’t a level playing field though and the bowes deal was the prime example. If he wanted more opportunities you don’t go to the cats but some clubs are destination clubs and others like the expansion teams aren’t. No kid grows up outside the academy system wanting to be a giant or sun and it’s not much better for sides like north and st kilda. Hawks as my club only survived a similar fate through sustained success.

It is a competition, clubs recruit players. If that upsets you maybe it isn't the sport for you.
Or sport in general

Finn was injured most of last season. If he re-signs I imagine it’s later in the season after he has some performances under his belt.

Either way, I can’t see this conversation going away

Finn was injured most of last season. If he re-signs I imagine it’s later in the season after he has some performances under his belt.

Either way, I can’t see this conversation going away
Gives the media something to talk about all year.

How much mileage did they get out of the never going to happen Dusty to Sydney story. Wouldn't let it go even when Tom Harley categorically said Swans hadn't and didn't intend to go there.

Media will speculate all season which Melbourne club Callaghan is going to

A future first (for any club) is a pretty steep asking price for a player still yet to make his mark at proven AFL level. I would have thought your second rounder in 2023 and potential pick swaps is probably around the ball mark as it stands tight now (of course if FC has a breakout season in 2023, that changes)
I’d think he shows a bit in 2023, and if and he’s not reconstructed and we want him we offer our future first to make sure his manager is confident a deal gets done.

Taking our first pick which is likely to be a top 5 pick, matching a bid on McCabe with our second/third and securing Callaghan would be an ideal outcome even this far out.

I think we’ll be right in the mix if he does look elsewhere, have the family connection and draft capital (2x first rounders this year) and will definitely be looking to start rebuilding our next gen midfield with our stars aging & young spine pretty set. Will be watching his year with interest

I would offer our f1 2024 figuring after a tough 2023 with more games into our youth we rise a bit up the ladder. Like the look of Harley Reid, Finn Callaghan and Cam Mackenzie as our starting midfield!
Nah, if you're at pick 1 then trade it to North for our pick and Port's, then trade the Port pick for Finn. 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back