Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=301972

Richmond has announced another addition to its restructured coaching panel - triple Brisbane Lions premiership player Craig McRae.

McRae will fill the newly-created position of Player Development Coach after having spent the past two years coaching Queensland’s under-18s side, guiding the team to the Division Two title at this year's championships since retiring as a player at the end of 2004.

xplo said:
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=301972

Richmond has announced another addition to its restructured coaching panel - triple Brisbane Lions premiership player Craig McRae.

McRae will fill the newly-created position of Player Development Coach after having spent the past two years coaching Queensland’s under-18s side, guiding the team to the Division Two title at this year's championships since retiring as a player at the end of 2004.

Wow - good luck Fly!

Seriously though I feel like he is one we let get away. I think I secretly harboured hopes that he would fill the Cressa position somehow in a development role now that Shane Johnson is gone as well.

Oh well obviously not to be. Best of luck to him!

*Danni* said:
Wow - good luck Fly!

Seriously though I feel like he is one we let get away. I think I secretly harboured hopes that he would fill the Cressa position somehow in a development role now that Shane Johnson is gone as well.

Oh well obviously not to be. Best of luck to him!

He will be back one day mark my words.
Part of the new age Voss revolution.

Learn what you can Fly, its only going to benefit us in the long run.

*Danni* said:
I think I secretly harboured hopes that he would fill the Cressa position

What is the latest on Leppitsch? Is he definitely taking over or is it just assumed he will?

Grimreepah said:
What is the latest on Leppitsch? Is he definitely taking over or is it just assumed he will?

I've no idea. Maybe we'll find out more at the B & F tomorrow night.

Speaking of which too - if anyone is interested/wants to volunteer, we could arrange to send txt message updates for someone to post on here if they like?

*Danni* said:
I've no idea. Maybe we'll find out more at the B & F tomorrow night.

Speaking of which too - if anyone is interested/wants to volunteer, we could arrange to send txt message updates for someone to post on here if they like?

already done, numbers programmed in my phone!!

Lady Lawrence said:
already done, numbers programmed in my phone!!

Fantastic.

Now LL I hope you checked that they can understand garbled txt speak as the night goes on. I dont' know about you, but I know my messages make less and less sense after I've had a few!

*Danni* said:
Fantastic.

Now LL I hope you checked that they can understand garbled txt speak as the night goes on. I dont' know about you, but I know my messages make less and less sense after I've had a few!

s'ok the thread we discussed this on warned everyone that if Vossy announces early then it will be a legible message if it is at the end of the night theymay get something like

vorthy ith noth plyin nixt yar or woooooooooooop woooooooooooooop yay wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee woooooooooooooooo

ah bugger! Loved his calls for triple MMM of the games. He was always eating or drinking something.

ah well, looks likes it's someone else turn to provide the stepping stone and then he can come back to us!!

Bobby Beecroft said:
He will be back one day mark my words.
Part of the new age Voss revolution.

Learn what you can Fly, its only going to benefit us in the long run.

With quite a few premiership players retiring lately, what's the chance of them coming back to the club in 5 years time?

Imagine, if all the premiership players make up our coaching staff in 10 years time.

I actually think Fly is exactly the type that ends up as a senior coach, far more likely than Vossy, IMHO. The superstars like Vossy have too much reputation to lose if things go bad, and in an equalized comp, they inevitably do.

Look at Garry Lyon, Dermot, Healy, SOS, the Duck, etc ... they getting good coin, free sports jackets for life and spend their declining years having everyone take their opinion seriously but never having to get nailed to a board for it. Who wouldn't want that?

IMO Fly will make a great coach because he's very smart and it's realistically the biggest opportunity for him and his family in the coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

xplo said:
I actually think Fly is exactly the type that ends up as a senior coach, far more likely than Vossy, IMHO. The superstars like Vossy have too much reputation to lose if things go bad, and in an equalized comp, they inevitably do.

Look at Garry Lyon, Dermot, Healy, SOS, the Duck, etc ... they getting good coin, free sports jackets for life and spend their declining years having everyone take their opinion seriously but never having to get nailed to a board for it. Who wouldn't want that?

IMO Fly will make a great coach because he's very smart and it's realistically the biggest opportunity for him and his family in the coming years.

I agree, I'm not surprised to see that he's picked up a coaching role at Richmond and it'll be interesting to see where his career eventually takes him.

Makes me wonder whether Gary O'Donnell will ever make the move to senior coaching or whether he's happier behind the scenes without the pressure that the senior coach has to deal with. I must admit, I thought he'd have a job coaching somewhere by now. I wonder if he can outlast Sheeds to take the reins at Essendon.

xplo said:

I think that's a good point xplo, but there are some that crave the attention/challenge/etc.

Bugger...will miss his calling of the games with Champs & Lynchy - but congrats Fly - you deserve it !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back