Preview Elimination Final vs Richmond Tigers @ the Gabba, Thu Sep 1 7:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On paper this is one of the weakest sides we’ve rolled out all year. Not implying that our performance will reflect that, but I’m certainly not going in confident
Perhaps inexperienced not weakest.....some great performances in the 2s from a couple. ..sometimes you just need the opportunity to shine. Chat you on Friday

Interesting how the vibe of the place has lifted with the team selection - and I can easily imagine the alternate mood if the standard team had been picked!

btw Squiggle thinks the ins were not-as-awesome (well at least compared to the Tiger's ones - mind you Dusty in probably weighs heavily)

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 91 - 85 Richmond
Richmond

Gabba (QLD)
HGA:
Brisbane Lions
+9.9 pts
Ins/Outs:
Richmond
+3.4 pts

I just had visions of Wilmot getting a Gatorade shower after the game.

This kid will do something special tomorrow. He looks the type who can get the crowd going. Can't wait.

Have the same feeling for Lohmann with one more pre-season in 2023.

This kid will do something special tomorrow. He looks the type who can get the crowd going. Can't wait.

Definitely seems like the personality type that won't get overawed by the occasion.

Wow...suddenly I'm excited. I now reckon this game hinges on how our bold moves / kids handle the heat Richmond will throw them at the start. Weather that ferocious storm and we will be away. Don't weather it and we'll get smashed.

Also, for those saying Willmott is not ready, big risk getting his debut in a final, yeah it is BUT Fagan said they had planned to pick him earlier a couple of times but he got injured / had Covid, so relax.

I really hope we go Lohmann as sub, I don't think Richmond will have any idea about what to do with these changes. Fages might just have found the recipe to freshen our team up. I'm genuinely 90% more excited than I was this morning.

If he gets caught holding the ball or gives up a goal early I hope he doesn't become gun shy, he'll be puffing and panting early with the pace of the game, hopefully he recovers quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what point during the year was anyone saying we want CHANGE eg an 18 year old debut in a final. the kind of change which was wanted was dropping out of form players during the season for young guns who could make an impact in finals with games under their belt to take us to the NEXT level

If not now when? I understand completely what you are saying but here is an opportunity - partially forced - for the exact thing we have cried out for. And plenty have cried out for us to try the 18 year olds of varying shape and size. But that's not really the point.

What's the alternative? Players who have been tried and found out. Players who have had opportunity and haven't been able to force their way into the team.

Yes, you know what you'll get from them. But that's 100% the issue - we know what we will get from them.

None of us will know until tomorrow night whether Wilmont offers something more, something different, or just may not be ready. I'm hopeful that in a team that sometimes lacks energy, and mongrel that an 18 year old lights a fuse and helps bring a new dynamic.

And that in itself is often why we cried out for change.

Backs against the wall with an opposition that is already thinking about next week - couldn't have scripted this any better.
Dont confuse fans with players. I am certainly not writing off this lions side. It is concerning how overconfident some are on the tigers board (i think its a reflex to the years of mediocrity and coping it every day from oppo supporters). Now we all have to live with this monster.

I love this balls to the wall, give the fans what they want mentality! If we'd come in with the same team and lost, everyone would be furious, but now, we have this... Energy of like, if we win this, amazing! If not, we get to finish on a bit of a high that we shook things up and at least had a crack at a change. It's like yhatzee when you've rolled a full house but need 5 of a kind, so you put all the dice back in for a final roll. I love it! I'm excited about the game now, win or lose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back