Victoria University Whitten Oval

Footscray

B: 9. H. Crozier, 40. L. Young, 15. T. Duryea

HB: 37. R. Smith, 18. F. Roberts, 23. L. Vandermeer

C: 31. B. Dale, 32. W. Hayes, 20. E. Richards

HF: 25. B. Cavarra, 43. R. Gardner, 16. T. McLean

F: 24. B. Khamis, 2. L. Young, 67. J. Wallis

R: 41. J. Sweet, 28. C. Porter, 14. R. West

Int: 51. N. Drummond, 58. G. Gleeson, 65. N. Hamad, 59. B. Kanakis, 66. R. McComb, 61. L. Nash, 62. B. Olsson,

56. A. Scott, 63. T. Short, 53. L. Sullivan, 57. D. Viojo-Rainbow, 55. R. William

23P: 76. A. Trusler

So Lewy Young at Full Forward. I wonder if he'll actually line up there.
Wouldn't it be great to have someone you could count on to kick a bag every other week? Haven't had that level of excitement since at least the Barry Hall years. Well, maybe Stringer in 2015 but that was short-lived.

Seems like the MC are wedded to McLean being a HF! Hope they don't kill his career, the HF role just doesn't seem to be one that is working for him.
I have heard speculation that he might be carrying an injury. Has anyone heard anything that can confirm or dispell this rumour

Seems like the MC are wedded to McLean being a HF! Hope they don't kill his career, the HF role just doesn't seem to be one that is working for him.
I have heard speculation that he might be carrying an injury. Has anyone heard anything that can confirm or dispell this rumour
If he was carrying one I'd guess he would rest a few weeks and not play 2s. If he's playing 2s he is fit. Usually if a gun is out of form people reach for an excuse and it's usually injury or positional... in his case it's both.

Playing him half forward isn't us killing his career, that is quite ridiculous.

He is out of form and will be back better then ever soon.

No doubt there was a little hyperbole in the previous post. He was performing much better as a mid last year. Was just trying to substantiate if there was anything to the injury rumour, or if it was more BF speculation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the first half I’m convinced Lewis young cannot learn any more at vfl level. Reads the play really well, has great vision, his disposal has been really good, only fault is he has been out muscled once or twice. Sure in the seniors playing kpd he will occasionally be out muscled by more mature bodies but that can be a learning experience for him.

Just don’t want to see us do what we constantly do with talls and that is they get to 24/25 and have still played less than 50 games and we don’t know if they will make it or not give them a chance.

Other observations:
Lachie young - looks good, reads the play well, runs and carries well, tackles well.

West - has great vision with ball in hand, burrows in and wins it in the packs. Haven’t noticed him get a lot of it and missed a very gettable goal.

Khamis - does some really good things, especially under the high ball, looks to lack a bit of fitness.

Dale - barely noticed him, playing wing

Gardner - playing back and makes me wonder why we played him in the seniors as a forward.

Roberts - playing forward not doing much

Vandermeer - hits the contest hard, good kick, great speed, needs to find the ball more

Cavarra - playing high half forward midfield it appears, haven’t seen anything to get excited about

Hayes - we know what we get been okay

Sweet - crashes contests, caused a spillage and a goal with a big hit, fitness may be a worry rotates off the bench a lot

No doubt there was a little hyperbole in the previous post. He was performing much better as a mid last year. Was just trying to substantiate if there was anything to the injury rumour, or if it was more BF speculation

I think I was the first to suggest Toby might be playing injured and it was entirely based on my own intuition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back