Oppo Camp Former Players

Remove this Banner Ad

They kind of made the same mistakes with chapman, steve johnson, motlop and menzel. Basically anyone who was an attacking half foward flanker from 2015-19.
Motlop wanted more money and went to Port (good - he was spasmodic and not worth the dough), and Menzel wanted a two-year contract when Geelong only offered one (Geelong kept him on the list while we went through his numerous knee ops), so I think this was justified

Chapman is the only one that I think should have absolutely been retained.
I thought James Kelly, Bartel and Stokes were cooked. I watched them late in their final seasons at Geelong and they were terrible. They looked absolutely disinterested and slow.
James Kelly benefited from a change in environment, and being at "Essedon" at the time would have improved his leadership and coaching skills

However, all those players would be welcomed back to the club without a second thought - a contrast to what had happened over the previous 2-3 decades, where players left unhappy

Motlop wanted more money and went to Port (good - he was spasmodic and not worth the dough), and Menzel wanted a two-year contract when Geelong only offered one (Geelong kept him on the list while we went through his numerous knee ops), so I think this was justified

Chapman is the only one that I think should have absolutely been retained.
I thought James Kelly, Bartel and Stokes were cooked. I watched them late in their final seasons at Geelong and they were terrible. They looked absolutely disinterested and slow.
James Kelly benefited from a change in environment, and being at "Essedon" at the time would have improved his leadership and coaching skills

However, all those players would be welcomed back to the club without a second thought - a contrast to what had happened over the previous 2-3 decades, where players left unhappy
You are missing most of the story there on motlop. It started 3 years earlier with the club going on radio to tell the world they wanted to trade motlop and then shopped him around for a couple of years. Complete disrespect by the club for the player.

you could add caddy in as well. Another half foward flanker who was happy at geelong and then shoppped around.

menzel only ever got 1 year contracts for multiple seasons in a row while james parsons get 3. menzels was kicking over 2 goals a game for multiple seasons in a row. Parsons couldnt even get a game. It made zero season even with the injury risk. The injury risk was far less then the lack of talent risk that the likes of parsons had.

chapman was another mark bairstow situation.

steve johnson was even worse and the story as to why he left still needs to come out. Clearly our second best foward when he left. Was given best clubman award And yet was sacked despite us being in prime premiership window with danger and hendo and smith coming in the next season. The only line we got from the club was he wasnt fit for the club. Despite going for a flag and apparently being best clubman. Nothingwas more stranger then chris scott a couple of weeks out from the end of the season coming out to slam johnsons performance in a loss to stkilda when he was our best player kicking 4 goals and basically keeping us in the game all night.

Last edited:
You are missing most of the story there on motlop. It started 3 years earlier with the club going on radio to tell the world they wanted to trade motlop and then shopped him around for a couple of years. Complete disrespect by the club for the player.

you could add caddy in as well. Another half foward flanker who was happy at geelong and then shoppped around.

menzel only ever got 1 year contracts while james parsons get 3. menzels was kicking over 2 goals a game for multiple seasons in a row. Parsons couldnt even get a game. It made zero season even with the injury risk. The injury risk was far less then the lack of talent risk that the likes of parsons had.

chapman was another mark bairstow situation.

steve johnson was even worse and the story as to why he left still needs to come out. Clearly our second best foward when he left. Was given best clubman award And yet was sacked despite us being in prime premiership window with danger and hendo and smith coming in the next season. The only line we got from the club was he wasnt fit for the club. Despite going for a flag and apparently being best clubman. Nothingwas more stranger then chris scott a couple of weeks out from the end of the season coming out to slam johnsons performance in a loss to stkilda when he was our best player kicking 4 goals and basically keeping us in the game all night.

i will have regrets if i go to my death bed not knowing why johnson was actually sacked by the club.

Then proceeded to have his best goalkicking season in years and kick 43 goals for GWS in 2016.

Doesn't mean he should have got a three year deal, same with Chapman. But both clearly had at least one very good year left in them. Which was shown to be true.

Then proceeded to have his best goalkicking season in years and kick 43 goals for GWS in 2016.

Doesn't mean he should have got a three year deal, same with Chapman. But both clearly had at least one very good year left in them. Which was shown to be true.
Johnson was happy for only a one year deal. Geelong refused to give him one year.

Johnson was happy for only a one year deal. Geelong refused to give him one year.
He didn’t deserve another year after costing us a game against St Kilda because he was too busy showing off. Most boring draw I’ve seen in my lifetime.

I was happy to see Darcy Fort playing well for the Lions. I have absolutely no idea why he never got a chance last year. His form in the magoos definitely warranted it.

I was happy to see Darcy Fort playing well for the Lions. I have absolutely no idea why he never got a chance last year. His form in the magoos definitely warranted it.
I put it down to impressions. He's not agile or athletic looking enough, nor fast enough for the coaches. Yet, whenever he played in the ones he seemed to get a goal or two, and competed.
I'll admit, kind of like Trent West, he's not a no.1 ruck. Would be a good old style No.2.

He didn’t deserve another year after costing us a game against St Kilda because he was too busy showing off. Most boring draw I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Thats one of the most absurd posts ive seen in a while. He was our best player that game. He kept us in. And that show boating kicked a freakish goal just 40 seconds later after one single incident. Geelong lose that game by 6 goals if it wasnt for johnson.

Thats one of the most absurd posts ive seen in a while. He was our best player that game. He kept us in. And that show boating kicked a freakish goal just 40 seconds later after one single incident. Geelong lose that game by 6 goals if it wasnt for johnson.
Motlop was better with 33 touches, 7 clearances and 8 tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly. Depends how you rank goals vs creating goal opportunities upfield. Both were two of the best players and arguably the best who kept us in the game.
In the end SJ cost us the match. I attended that game with two geelong supporters from this website and they’re Victorian so maybe they care less but I flew over for that s**t fest. Ain’t been to a game interstate since.

Very true.

Sweet lol here is of the top of my head random players i recall playing for us good or not

Ben Jarvis
Jordan Cunico
George Burbury
Jackson Sheringham
Orren Stephenson
Tom Gillies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back