Opinion Former Richmond players that could of been stars but didn't quite get there

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce Monteith left us at the age of 25 to return to WA. He looked bloody good in a State of Origin game against the Vics in mid eighties that has me wishing he had of stayed so we could have gotten him at his prime.

Did enough though before that age to be captain and to have Richmond players insisting that he should play in 80 GF even if spending the whole game on the bench.

He was serviceable but we were struggling so badly that he was our captain. Dont want to bag him as he gave good service in bad times but we were really struggling for leaders that he would be captain. His brother Justin went Ok for a small amount of time too.
WAs a arising star ahead of Sos , back injury cruelled Jim

Daniel Connors. If we wasnt such a s**t bloke off the field then he could of been a star
I loved Connors and wanted to get his Autograph at a family day. I spotted a player and chatted with him and asked where Dan was. He said with a very unimpressed face that he's probably off hiding somewhere.

Was gutted I never saw him.

I was around when Bruce Tempany was progressing in 1980. Was a very reliable, exciting at times, young half back. Kicked it a mile. A fan favourite. I thought he went down with an ACL that year but as someone else pointed out it may have been an Achilles. Missed most of 81 as a result. Bounced back well in 82 and then suffered an injury in grand final that impacted our flexibility.

Ty Zantuck was a pure footballer who after debuting at 18 in 2000 got consistent opportunity through to 2002, mainly as a defender. Then found himself in Frawley's doghouse (VFL for Coburg) for a lot of 2003 and 2004, which was puzzling - attitude related I gather.

In late 2003 Zantuck kicked a bag of five goals in a game, then 4 in another game in 2004. We then traded him to Essendon.

Another that comes to mind is Schulz who tried making his way in our forward line from 2003 onwards that was incredibly Richo centric. Lost count of the times he flew for marks only to have Richo crash into him. In his 2nd season torched Brisbane fullback Michael for 6 goals straight up at Gabba. Was a vgoid mark and very accurate kick and would eventually realise his undoubted potential at Port.

Sent from my CPH1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I was around when Bruce Tempany was progressing in 1980. Was a very reliable, exciting at times, young half back. Kicked it a mile. A fan favourite. I thought he went down with an ACL that year but as someone else pointed out it may have been an Achilles. Missed most of 81 as a result. Bounced back well in 82 and then suffered an injury in grand final that impacted our flexibility.

Ty Zantuck was a pure footballer who after debuting at 18 in 2000 got consistent opportunity through to 2002, mainly as a defender. Then found himself in Frawley's doghouse (VFL for Coburg) for a lot of 2003 and 2004, which was puzzling - attitude related I gather.

In late 2003 Zantuck kicked a bag of five goals in a game, then 4 in another game in 2004. We then traded him to Essendon.

Another that comes to mind is Schulz who tried making his way in our forward line from 2003 onwards that was incredibly Richo centric. Lost count of the times he flew for marks only to have Richo crash into him. In his 2nd season torched Brisbane fullback Michael for 6 goals straight up at Gabba. Was a vgoid mark and very accurate kick and would eventually realise his undoubted potential at Port.

Sent from my CPH1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Schulz has said in interviews that he didn't have the first idea what to do in regards to training and getting the best out of himself. Partially his fault, also partially the club's fault for not helping him. When he got traded, it was a big wakeup call and he started applying himself way more diligently - and became one of the better forwards in the league.

Schulz has said in interviews that he didn't have the first idea what to do in regards to training and getting the best out of himself. Partially his fault, also partially the club's fault for not helping him. When he got traded, it was a big wakeup call and he started applying himself way more diligently - and became one of the better forwards in the league.
Was certainly an indictment on our footy program relative to PA at the time and naturally sarge didn’t have right attitude but a good program will set em straight

He was serviceable but we were struggling so badly that he was our captain. Dont want to bag him as he gave good service in bad times but we were really struggling for leaders that he would be captain. His brother Justin went Ok for a small amount of time too.
really disagree with you. so becuase we were struggling he was to blame? or we could not get a capatin? he gave his all pickers and I loved his presence.

Fair few blokes been mentioned that I didn't rate for one reason or another (Hughes was soft and a lead up player who didn't like a contest, Jurica was a man mountain who moved like an iceberg and Polo I suspect people only remember his first game and not the 55 mediocre ones that followed) and a few who could play but were otherwise distracted (I've heard some pretty clear rumours why Marty McGrath was let go which sound pretty harrowing).

Mine's from the latter category in that Dan Conners could seriously play. Just happened to hit our list when we were unable to provide the degree of management required and had other blokes that probably facilitated and aggravated his documented issues with alcohol.

I'll also add that watching Stuey Maxfield play his best footy at Sydney (95 exempted) still breaks my heart. Could have gone down as a legend and captained the club. We made some shocking decisions in that era.

Fair few blokes been mentioned that I didn't rate for one reason or another (Hughes was soft and a lead up player who didn't like a contest, Jurica was a man mountain who moved like an iceberg and Polo I suspect people only remember his first game and not the 55 mediocre ones that followed) and a few who could play but were otherwise distracted (I've heard some pretty clear rumours why Marty McGrath was let go which sound pretty harrowing).

Mine's from the latter category in that Dan Conners could seriously play. Just happened to hit our list when we were unable to provide the degree of management required and had other blokes that probably facilitated and aggravated his documented issues with alcohol.

I'll also add that watching Stuey Maxfield play his best footy at Sydney (95 exempted) still breaks my heart. Could have gone down as a legend and captained the club. We made some shocking decisions in that era.
Maxfield was offered the kitchen sink by Sydney, he then engaged our onfield leaders on what to do as he was torn. They advised him to take it as he would never get that type of coin from RFC. We did get very good compensation for him though - Darren Gaspar. Our best defender for 10 years.

Sam Lloyd. Had a real x-factor and made 2016 somewhat bearable. Got forced out in 2017-18, was very stiff as any other period in the last 20 years he would be a lock every week. Pretty similar to what happened to Caddy, talented medium forward who loses form after a great run and suddenly finds themselves on the scrap heap. Lloydy was bloody stiff not to get a flag in 17' or 18 had we made it.
Plodder

I was always hopeful that one of our players would step up as a reasonable KPF.
Liam McBean - Lead the goalkicking in the VFL but just couldn't click in the AFL.
Ty Vickery - My God. So much potential.
Ben Griffiths - Had a "break-out game" every 2 or 3 years, then nothing...
Todd Elton - Or K-Mart Ben Griffiths - we had him on our list for so long that I was sure there must be some kind of potential
Jayden Post I thought could be our next Richo (perhaps in a lookalike competition at least...)
Jurica - I can just remember watching him one game and thinking we had a real talent there, then I don't know what happened?

Dan Connors - I thought would be a superstar but no regrets over his delisting.

Nathan Brown, Cogs, Axel Foley, Dragicevic - even Nathan Drummond all cut down by injury when near their peak or before they could show their full potential.

Liam McBean - Lead the goalkicking in the VFL but just couldn't click in the AFL.
Todd Elton - Or K-Mart Ben Griffiths - we had him on our list for so long that I was sure there must be some kind of potential
Jayden Post I thought could be our next Richo (perhaps in a lookalike competition at least...)
Jurica - I can just remember watching him one game and thinking we had a real talent there, then I don't know what happened?

Nathan Brown, Cogs, Axel Foley, Dragicevic - even Nathan Drummond all cut down by injury when near their peak or before they could show their full potential.
I can feel your pain through your words

Mark Coughlan. Injuries ruined him & a massive "what could have been" moment for the club during that decade. We needed a bloke like him dearly

Cleve Hughes is another one - just was never the same after the Polak incident. Not sure he ever had "star" written all over him, but he had potential for sure

Stephen Jurica. His first 8 weeks were out of this world and barely was seen before. Had amazing set of hands on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxfield was offered the kitchen sink by Sydney, he then engaged our onfield leaders on what to do as he was torn. They advised him to take it as he would never get that type of coin from RFC. We did get very good compensation for him though - Darren Gaspar. Our best defender for 10 years.
Is that right , I was spewin when boofa left , was a big fan

Mark Coughlan. Injuries ruined him & a massive "what could have been" moment for the club during that decade. We needed a bloke like him dearly

Cleve Hughes is another one - just was never the same after the Polak incident. Not sure he ever had "star" written all over him, but he had potential for sure

Stephen Jurica. His first 8 weeks were out of this world and barely was seen before. Had amazing set of hands on him
Can’t blame that for Hughes , lacked the hardness a good key needs , never looked like it out side of two games

Jurica and griff I thought early on May have amounted to something , alas , same old same old , Dan foley here we go again

Reece McKenzie and David Gourdis had all the attributes but couldn't get in the right mental space.

Was so excited when we drafted Reece McKenzie, grew up playing basketball against him and Christian Petracca over the years and I was confident Reece would have similar work ethic and potential to Petracca. Unfortunately not.

jack ross

Can someone please change the name of the thread to "could have", instead of "could of".

It's doing my head in.

On topic - Nathan Foley

disagree on gasper, highly rated but in effectual

Remove this Banner Ad

Back