Opinion Former Richmond players that could of been stars but didn't quite get there

Remove this Banner Ad

It was 197 games, but agree…Very underrated player, and was a key in the ‘95 final vs Bummers…He and (the late) Jamie Tape (75 games) were brilliant pick-up’s from S.A..
Was harshly treated by his coach D Frawley forcing him to quit 3 games short of his 200th. Disgraceful really. In his last game he was on fire and Frawley had to take him off not to embarrass himself.

I could almost accept it if Frawley played kids, instead he had players like Craig Biddiscombe come into the team!!

Matty Rogers deserved to get to 200 games.

Was harshly treated by his coach D Frawley forcing him to quit 3 games short of his 200th. Disgraceful really. In his last game he was on fire and Frawley had to take him off not to embarrass himself.

I could almost accept it if Frawley played kids, instead he had players like Craig Biddiscombe come into the team!!

Sadly Danny put Richmond back a decade

Reece McKenzie and David Gourdis had all the attributes but couldn't get in the right mental space.

I don't remember how, but somehow my mates and I got into the Richmond rooms after that game (probably because we used to sit on the red seats beside the race in the northern stand and were amongst the first near the door).

Anyway, I'll never forget big Neville Crowe, who was President at the time, in the override joy of the occasion grab me by the scruff of the neck in the rooms beside my mates and yelling "Stick with us you campaigners!! Stick with us!!" Good old Neville Crowe, his passion immense. Preaching to the converted Nev!!
Haha love it , made my night,,,,,u know wins were that bloody rare those days if we were likely winners , minutes before siren I’d bolt to the rooms and often manage to get my way in , loved it so much , the smell of linement intoxicating,,,,,can recall finding my way in footy park SA ‘95 late season we beat the crows and the rooms were like a battle field ,, dunc kellaway nose other side of his face, courtesy of Bickley and Neil Kearly wining to a reporter how Robert Shaw had fkd the crows lol

Sir matty Rogers after kicking 3G in sec half on bomber Thompson ‘95 2nd semi W

I reckon one who might have been really good for us and a real difference-maker at the time, but could never get the body right, was Chris Knights.
Kicked 14 goals in a three-game stretch in 2009 and 43 for the season but never got a decent run at it afterward.
Played 5 games the next year and 5 apiece in 2012 and 13 and one in 2015.
Could play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Lloyd. Had a real x-factor and made 2016 somewhat bearable. Got forced out in 2017-18, was very stiff as any other period in the last 20 years he would be a lock every week. Pretty similar to what happened to Caddy, talented medium forward who loses form after a great run and suddenly finds themselves on the scrap heap. Lloydy was bloody stiff not to get a flag in 17' or 18 had we made it.

I reckon one who might have been really good for us and a real difference-maker at the time, but could never get the body right, was Chris Knights.
Kicked 14 goals in a three-game stretch in 2009 and 43 for the season but never got a decent run at it afterward.
Played 5 games the next year and 5 apiece in 2012 and 13 and one in 2015.
Could play.
Yep was stiff his body didn’t hold up , great kick on him

Clay Sampson, pace to burn, would absolutely eat up todays Fwd50 pressure footy.....

Draga is the obvious other one...

Clay Sampson did play in a premiership, so i'm not feeling too sorry for him.

Great thread guys , you just reminded how downtrodden we were for several decades , despite my optimism, I never really thought we d make a GF until 10min Into the 4q ‘17 pre lim when dusty u turned and slammed though a major and we were on our way , far less that I actually got to go to both ‘17 and ‘19 then ‘20 from the beanbag . Nice work !

Trent Nichols. Four miserable years at Richmond, went to WCE for one year (they(not he)won a premiership), went to North for three season and they won a premiership… and then returned to Richmond.

very servicable player pickers

He was serviceable but we were struggling so badly that he was our captain. Dont want to bag him as he gave good service in bad times but we were really struggling for leaders that he would be captain. His brother Justin went Ok for a small amount of time too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back