FTA-TV FreeView TV? – Anyone know anything about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was talking to a friend who asked me if I had every heard of a television system called ‘FreeView’ TV and I had never heard about it.

Apparently you can get it in the UK and all you need is a set top box. Some also say it will come to Australia as a viable option to rival Foxtel (Foxtel is Murdock so I doubt that)

Anyone? :confused:

Seems as though a bit of a bump is in order. They are advertising this pretty regularly now. 15 interactive channels in operation in 2009. Anyone have any more info on this?

I was talking to a friend who asked me if I had every heard of a television system called ‘FreeView’ TV and I had never heard about it.

Apparently you can get it in the UK and all you need is a set top box. Some also say it will come to Australia as a viable option to rival Foxtel (Foxtel is Murdock so I doubt that)

Anyone? :confused:

It won't rival foxtel because most of the new channels will just be alternates of existing channels (abc2 for example).
I'm looking forward to its arrive but you may want to hold onto your pay tv subscription.

It's for marketing purposes, really.

Apart from ABC and SBS, the only extra, seperate channel which will come about next year so far is Channel 10's new 24/7 sport channel.

The fact that I can now watch the exact same program on three different channels does not fill me with excitement.

Not even another company - it IS the FTA channels. Freeview is their combined marketing platform/brand for trying to encourage people to take up digital channels and remind everyone how smelly and not nice pay TV is.

It’s just an alternative to TiVo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How? TiVo records things? FreeView is NOTHING. It's just a new way of marketing digital TV.

Oh didn’t know that. It sounds like a waste if you already have a built in tuner for the HD channels or just an expensive set top box for your TV.

Oh didn’t know that. It sounds like a waste if you already have a built in tuner for the HD channels or just an expensive set top box for your TV.
The set top boxes are for if your TV doesn't have an inbuilt digital tuner.

Not really, Freeview is just FTA, you would be able to pick it up with any set top box or digital tuner because there is nothing special about Freeview, apart from EPG's, and even then you will be able to pick it up with your current equipment anyway.

They're blabbing on about having 15 FTA channels and a tv guide available, which I already have (in fact I'm pretty sure there are more than 15 channels, most of which get absolutely no use by the station).

So is this FreeView thing adding anything or just a new label for digital tv?

It's probably something I'll "get around to"

I probably own the worst television built this century, so I don't think going digital will make much of a difference until I bite the bullet and upgrade.

So I'll wait out until I can get a DVR on the cheap, weather it is TiVo, PS3 or something else. I'm banking on a retailer going out of business during this economic downturn.

Channel Tens new HD channel will be called channel "One"...

It will be an all sports channel which has around 3 NBA games a week, 3 NFL games, I think 6 MLB games and plenty of American College hoops and ball...

If I can find the link to this again I'll post it...

Just browse through the freeview.com.au site and you'll find it... It's not easy to find though.

Channel Tens new HD channel will be called channel "One"...

It will be an all sports channel which has around 3 NBA games a week, 3 NFL games, I think 6 MLB games and plenty of American College hoops and ball...

If I can find the link to this again I'll post it...

Just browse through the freeview.com.au site and you'll find it... It's not easy to find though.
This has been known for a good 6 months now.

This has been known for a good 6 months now.

More like 33 days... ;)

All channels still wont be released till April now... also TenHD, channel 1, will be pretty much terminated january 1st.. so that pretty much means no doco's or Nascar or anything appart from NFL till april now... Its like channel 10 have taken a big step backwards now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back