Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2018 National Draft Pick: Luke Valente [Pick #32]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Mundy hangs up his boots i think he will still be a part of the club in a coaching roll....well that's what i am hoping.
If Mundy quits it's because he's had enough of football. At least in the short term. Can't see him immediately going into coaching. He'll keep playing IMO.

It is extremely unusual. Particularly for a non ex top 10 pick.

I'd feel safe guessing we have never recontracted a player on 0 games after 2 years for a further 2 years in our 26 seasons in the comp. People who've played a handful maybe like Ryley Dunn / Browne, but 0?

I suspect the extra year was the price of not switching back to a SA team.

Lloyd Meek just last year.

Mundy’s decision may even be getting a feel for the likelihood of more hubbing next year? I’m as sure as most of you that he’ll be going around.

I’m also cognisant of the start of his season this year. It wasn’t great and the drop might not be that far off. I’m giving him whatever he wants (within reasons) to play on and asst coach as well but also planning on less than a full season out of him.

Valente is more Mitchell (minus the dickishness) than Mundy and either of those would be an awesome result. If he reaches his potential he’ll be great and the more games he plays with Mundy the better. It certainly helped Serong, Cez, AB etc.

I think the important thing here is, unless I’m missing something, with North and possibly Blakely gone, Valente is our entire midfield depth outside the 22. Currently, if we lost a midfielder we’d shuffle best 22 positions (Cerra more inside, Fyfe more on ball), if we lose a couple of centre mids, Valente is the first and only choice.
Also Crowden. He might be playing the small forward role now, but he came in as a midfielder, and he even had a few CBAs during the Essendon game at the start of the year.

It's been too long, but I'm pretty sure Giro also was an on-baller prior to being drafted. Outside mid at least.

Also Crowden. He might be playing the small forward role now, but he came in as a midfielder, and he even had a few CBAs during the Essendon game at the start of the year.

It's been too long, but I'm pretty sure Giro also was an on-baller prior to being drafted. Outside mid at least.
You could include them as centre mid depth I suppose, hope Valente gets a gig before them

I think the important thing here is, unless I’m missing something, with North and possibly Blakely gone, Valente is our entire midfield depth outside the 22. Currently, if we lost a midfielder we’d shuffle best 22 positions (Cerra more inside, Fyfe more on ball), if we lose a couple of centre mids, Valente is the first and only choice.

Couldn’t afford to lose him
No one is going to take Blakely unfortunately. There’s also Conca, Acres and don’t forget a fit and raring to go Tucker.

I remember Ibbotsons first couple of years being quite similar... But Ibbo had the WAFL to be able to show what he can do.

I'm quite bullish on this fella, he'll be a ripper. Can't wait to see him debut early next season.
Garrick Ibbotson was a pick in the 2005 draft wasn't He?

Never got that chance to debut in 2006 as we played finals that year.

Had his debut game in 2007 and I think kicked his 1st ever goal.

Started as a midfielder before settling in the back line.

The only thing that surprised me was he retired in 2007 aged 29 years old.

I seriously thought he would at worse case scenario play 1-2 more seasons as depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fyfe does elect to go for surgery now this could have been Luke’s chance to crack in.

But instead.... this

Curse of the dockery dockeryness has struck again

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have no inside information but I get the feeling people are miles off with their thinking on why Luke is taking some time off.

With two games left this season and no sign of him at all it’s pretty clear he won’t be playing again in 2021.
Hopefully he deals with the off field issues and is firing for preseason in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back