Opinion Future of the Pink Lady game

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the future of this game, it seems to be diminishing yearly? I've been talking and thinking about it a lot lately with a mate BallaratBulldog who started a similar thread on the Western Bulldogs board. The game at it's inception was a great idea, in 2010 in rainy conditions 45,444 people rocked up to watch us and the Dogs play a thriller on a friday night. As it stands 45,444 is the highest Home and Away crowd between us and the Bulldogs since 1990 (Couldn't bother studying further back) and probably the highest Home and Away crowd for our sides of all time. Even the match in 2014 player on a dewy saturday night returned the third highest crowd between the two.

I love this fixture and it's really more than footy, but it's diminishing. The Pink Lady match went from a big game on a Friday night 6 years ago, to hiatus, to being revived in 2014 on a saturday. Then last year we had the complete confusion of it being played against the Swans rather than the Dogs. Now the game has been moved to a sunday afternoon, the weekend after mothersday. Which confuses me further!

I like this fixture and know some of our supporters do and so do the Western Bulldogs, but if i didn't know better it feels like the AFL is slowly trying to phase it out, because outright dumping it would be incredibly insensitive

So what is the future of this fixture? i'd love to hear the from anyone on here on what their thoughts are as well as welcome any lurking Bulldgos fans to discuss

One of my favourite memories was against the Crows I think maybe in 2006? when they did a massive 'field of women' and formed a giant pink lady shape in the middle before the game
That was outstanding. The aerial shot looked amazing with the "G" lit

It needs to be a Friday or Saturday night I believe. Free to air TV where the pre-game show can be used to highlight it. And the AFL need to get off their arse and give it the marketing it deserves. They've dropped the ball on this.

One of my favourite memories was against the Crows I think maybe in 2006? when they did a massive 'field of women' and formed a giant pink lady shape in the middle before the game
Didn't they do the same thing in 2010?

AFL should reinvest some time and effort in making this an occasion. It was great when it was introduced and seems to be slowly being undermined. It remains a great cause and the way it was conceived was a really impressive spectacle. A bit of effort please - and a few less introductions of pointless new "themed" games to satisfy bloody Sheedy's megalomania (Farmer's round, FFS!)

Is there a round/game to raise awareness of mens health issues? Prostate cancer? Or just cancers more generally?

Is there a round/game to raise awareness of mens health issues? Prostate cancer? Or just cancers more generally?
EJ whitten game?

What is the future of this game, it seems to be diminishing yearly? I've been talking and thinking about it a lot lately with a mate BallaratBulldog who started a similar thread on the Western Bulldogs board. The game at it's inception was a great idea, in 2010 in rainy conditions 45,444 people rocked up to watch us and the Dogs play a thriller on a friday night. As it stands 45,444 is the highest Home and Away crowd between us and the Bulldogs since 1990 (Couldn't bother studying further back) and probably the highest Home and Away crowd for our sides of all time. Even the match in 2014 player on a dewy saturday night returned the third highest crowd between the two.

I love this fixture and it's really more than footy, but it's diminishing. The Pink Lady match went from a big game on a Friday night 6 years ago, to hiatus, to being revived in 2014 on a saturday. Then last year we had the complete confusion of it being played against the Swans rather than the Dogs. Now the game has been moved to a sunday afternoon, the weekend after mothersday. Which confuses me further!

I like this fixture and know some of our supporters do and so do the Western Bulldogs, but if i didn't know better it feels like the AFL is slowly trying to phase it out, because outright dumping it would be incredibly insensitive

So what is the future of this fixture? i'd love to hear the from anyone on here on what their thoughts are as well as welcome any lurking Bulldgos fans to discuss

AFL has put no faith in it and as a result has suffered. It went from a Friday night to a Saturday night, got taken away from the Bulldogs for a year and now shoved aside to a Sunday afternoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interested to see what we do as a club as they've asked us if we can move.
I think it would depend if we're contracted to train there with the Casey Scorpions/whether Gosch's paddock will be available that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back