Review Dees v the Dogs and their forest of tall timber: the Good, Bad and Ugle

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs were shite but I liked the tweaks we have made to personnel and game plan.

Don't get the Petty hate. Naughton is a very tough matchup but the tall defenders performed well as a unit. Lever stood up big time with May out and made JUH go into his shell.

Rivers and Bowey providing bounce from half back is great to see. McVee super impressive, has lovely balance and kicking action - doesn't look like missing any of his kicks and makes decisions quickly.

Trac and Clarry slow to start but worked into it. Pay Kozzy whatever the hell he wants, that kick coming off half back to Melk out the back was wild. We don't really have anyone else on the list that can break lines and hit passes like that. The hit actually fired us up because we started 2nd Q very flat and a better team would have got 5-6 goals up on us.

Chandler looks to be taking a small forward position for himself - great tackling and work rate. Should have ended with 3. Throw Fritta back into that forward line and watch out.

Glad I'm not the only one who's disappointed with Sparrow's output so far.

I was excited pre game last night to see if there had been gradual improvement over the summer with Sparrow and we'd see it last night. But

Another meh game with 13 touches as a midfielder is just stock standard Sparrow game now. We need to either target an established up and coming mid over the off season or use one of our first round picks on one.

He's in his 5th year in the AFL and I expect more from him.

Don't get the Petty hate. Naughton is a very tough matchup but the tall defenders performed well as a unit.

Air swings, sitting nervously under the ball, not boxing Naughton out and letting him fly over Lever. Generally some terrible defending. Think we can ask for a bit more than giving him a participation ribbon coz others around him played well and the Dogs mids gave their forwards no chance in the second half, thats all. Hes a better player than that.

Pretty enjoyable win the end!

Hard to make too much of round 1, our matches vs the dogs always seem to follow a similar script too, but was a very comfortable result.

Our forward connection looked a little better, and scoring over 100 should really be the norm if we’re up and about, our wins last season were largely crap to watch.

Not entirely sure we’ve actually improved but 50 point win aint too shabby, bring on Brisbane who will no doubt come out firing.

Air swings, sitting nervously under the ball, not boxing Naughton out and letting him fly over Lever. Generally some terrible defending. Think we can ask for a bit more than giving him a participation ribbon coz others around him played well and the Dogs mids gave their forwards no chance in the second half, thats all. Hes a better player than that.
Will have to watch the replay as I was #AtTheGame and missed a lot of the detail of the defending.

Also lol at worrying about Pettys form in a praccy when some fresh beanpole came on when the game was dead and took a few marks. Petty is the least of our worries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd keep Tommo in & drop Petty for May (if he's ready next week). Rate Petty and would back him to get his spot back pretty quickly, but that was a poor game and Tomlinson was pretty good. Don't care about runs on the board, would rather us reward form this year than play favourites.

I'd keep Tommo in & drop Petty for May (if he's ready next week). Rate Petty and would back him to get his spot back pretty quickly, but that was a poor game and Tomlinson was pretty good. Don't care about runs on the board, would rather us reward form this year than play favourites.

Haha, you're even harsher than me. Even I wouldn't have Petty close to being dropped yet mate. He's got credits in the bank. Would need to play quite a few shockers in a row before I'd even consider it. I think he'll bounce back. I'm only giving him s**t this week coz we are in a review thread and he played crap, I always thought thats what you do In a review thread, talk about the game.

Last edited:
Haha, you're even harsher than me. Even I wouldn't have Petty close to being dropped yet mate. He's going credits in the bank. Would need to play quite a few shockers in a row before I'd even consider it.
Still a bit jaded from watching the same out of form players picked every week last season probably haha

Still a bit jaded from watching the same out of form players picked every week last season probably haha

Yea I get that for sure, saw the difference last night, Chandler and McVee brought some good energy. Just needed to be given a chance and have some faith shown in them.

Who wants to talk about Jake Lever? I want to talk about Jake Lever.

Jake Lever treated Ugly Hagan like his little bitch last night, did whatever he wanted on him. Anyone seen that TV show Oz? Was like some of the real nasty s**t on that. Goddamn. Absolutely hammered the poor campaigner, was glorious to watch. Ran everywhere, intercepted everything, brilliant.

*in' love Jake Lever when he's doing that sort of stuff.

Who wants to talk about Jake Lever? I want to talk about Jake Lever.

Jake Lever treated Ugly Hagan like his little bitch last night, did whatever he wanted on him. Anyone seen that TV show Oz? Was like some of the real nasty s**t on that. Goddamn. Absolutely hammered the poor campaigner, was glorious to watch. Ran everywhere, intercepted everything, brilliant.

*in' love Jake Lever when he's doing that sort of stuff.
Won his share of hard balls too. Love when a back wins one off the deck, backs themselves to break a line or bust through a tackle then hits a target upfield.

Considering who we had out that was a grea performance. Defensively sound. Intercept game back and the players working harder like we were 2021. The hunger seems to be back.
The Gawn and Grundy combo will get better. But the ability to give Gawn a chop out and provide great ruck service will make Grundy invaluable. Grundy got better as game wore on too.
I loved Goody has rotated the mids more. It gives players a rest but also adds different dynamics.
BBB looks back to full fitness.
Lever back to his intercepting game. Tomo filled in really well for May too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back