VFL Gameday - Richmond vs Geelong 11:05am Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid is showing some really good signs and i hope the Tigers persist with him and continue his development
His size athleticism is sensational and offers something different to all our other backs and even in the ruck has potential for a chop out

Think he still needs 8-9kgs to his frame and could be that slow burn types and end up a Aliir Aliir type backman in 2-3 years time
Aliir - 194cm 96kgs
Biggy - 197cm - 90kgs

Get this kid to 100kgs and play him on the gorilla's
No way is biggy only 90kgs
Think the scales are broken

Clarkos son is making his debut for us today.
Did he king hit anyone?
not sure if you guys have ever heard but apparently steely green was struck by lightning, and he also was named after steely dan!

surprised none of the commentators have mentioned this fact every single week
Imagine it if he debuts - will be nauseating.

I only saw from halfway through the third to the end, but I’d agree with the statement.

Clarke looked better in the fourth as a high half forward, but didn’t show that composure you’d like.

I thought Bauer was the most noticeable (I’m purposefully not using the word best) but as a back seems all or nothing. Will take a great intercept mark one possession, then the next gives up a contested mark as he’s trying to mark where a spoil would be more appropriate. Moves the ball quick by foot creating a really good transition play on one possession, the very next he goes too quick when he should have taken half a second and turns it over. My biggest thought was that he has AFL attributes but would benefit greatly from playing alongside some vets who can help him navigate when to go and when to spoil. When to go quick and went to take it slower.

Bradtke seems to have just been told to stay inside forward 50 and make sure the ball gets to ground. You don’t see any stay at home forwards these days. A long way off it, but I don’t think he got beat in a 1v1 so there’s something to work with.

Cumberland was okay. Confidence in kick 3 goals, did some nice things; but won’t get called up for a few more weeks you’d feel.

Banks looks clean when he gets it. Just doesn’t get it enough which is the hallmark of a Richmond VFL wing. One of those that will be better at AFL level than VFL level in my opinion.

I’m also illogically optimistic about Steely Green. For a bloke who has thus far struggled to find the footy at VFL level I just see something that gets me excited. Will be all frills no flash type. Baker mark II.

I’d like to keep Sonsie in the VFL for another week. Hopefully Dow will be back and available for selection and the in for Hopper.
Good call re Bauer. Hes strung 3 AFL standard games together down back, has one rough one and hes a write off apparently. He'd really benefit from having Taz out there. So much to work with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call re Bauer. Hes strung 3 AFL standard games together down back, has one rough one and hes a write off apparently. He'd really benefit from having Taz out there. So much to work with.

The caveat is that we have to decide whether we continue to explore Bauer as a back or if we rotate him back forward.

He is more a natural back and certainly played there when in the Swans Academy. But he was recruited as a forward.

I get the impression that when he was moved back it was to work on his reading the ball aerially, understanding how the ball transitions from the back half (to inform positioning) and also to give some room to Bradtke. Their first few games with each other in the forward line it looked like they got in each others way a fair bit.

But Bauer looked good back and Bradtke got injured. So it’s an interesting question.

You’d think that if he was to break into the best 22 long term players it would be as a forward. More opportunities there and with the likes of Young and Gibcus already out of the side, it will be difficult to cement a spot in the back line. Hell, the club have already started to move Biggie around earmarking him for a future second ruck position.

Biggy is very imposing in the air. Extends really well in a marking contest.
He can be moved pretty easily at times which is the biggest worry for him at the moment.

Decision making by foot leaves a bit to be desired at times.

It’s quite interesting the coaches thinking miller is ahead of biggy. In my opinion there really isn’t much in it between the two and in fact I’d probably give the edge to Biggy at the moment as his ruck work is a little more refined.

I only saw from halfway through the third to the end, but I’d agree with the statement.

Clarke looked better in the fourth as a high half forward, but didn’t show that composure you’d like.

I thought Bauer was the most noticeable (I’m purposefully not using the word best) but as a back seems all or nothing. Will take a great intercept mark one possession, then the next gives up a contested mark as he’s trying to mark where a spoil would be more appropriate. Moves the ball quick by foot creating a really good transition play on one possession, the very next he goes too quick when he should have taken half a second and turns it over. My biggest thought was that he has AFL attributes but would benefit greatly from playing alongside some vets who can help him navigate when to go and when to spoil. When to go quick and went to take it slower.

Bradtke seems to have just been told to stay inside forward 50 and make sure the ball gets to ground. You don’t see any stay at home forwards these days. A long way off it, but I don’t think he got beat in a 1v1 so there’s something to work with.

Cumberland was okay. Confidence in kick 3 goals, did some nice things; but won’t get called up for a few more weeks you’d feel.

Banks looks clean when he gets it. Just doesn’t get it enough which is the hallmark of a Richmond VFL wing. One of those that will be better at AFL level than VFL level in my opinion.

I’m also illogically optimistic about Steely Green. For a bloke who has thus far struggled to find the footy at VFL level I just see something that gets me excited. Will be all frills no flash type. Baker mark II.

I’d like to keep Sonsie in the VFL for another week. Hopefully Dow will be back and available for selection and the in for Hopper.
Agree with Dow getting a shot for the injured hopper
Deserves a crack before Sonsie again

Looked on the club website, says he's 197cm and 93kg,
View attachment 1687246
Can’t imagine him stacking on a heap of size, he has a lean athletic build.His weapons are his leap and agility.

Im guessing our fitness staff continue to improve his core strength, as he matures and he plays at/or a couple of kg above his current weight .

Biggy is very imposing in the air. Extends really well in a marking contest.
He can be moved pretty easily at times which is the biggest worry for him at the moment.

Decision making by foot leaves a bit to be desired at times.

It’s quite interesting the coaches thinking miller is ahead of biggy. In my opinion there really isn’t much in it between the two and in fact I’d probably give the edge to Biggy at the moment as his ruck work is a little more refined.
I noticed several weeks ago in the game that Biggie got injured that he was not looking particularly good in the ruck early on.
Miller actually looked a lot better than Biggie when he moved in there.
However the week before, Biggie looked a million dollar man in the ruck. Guess it depends on the opponent and how much body work they do?

Can’t imagine him stacking on a heap of size, he has a lean athletic build.His weapons are his leap and agility.

Im guessing our fitness staff continue to improve his core strength, as he matures and he plays at/or a couple of kg above his current weight .
The african boys can put on muscle very quickly if they need to and with Biggy i think he could easily put on 5-6kgs of muscle in just 1 off season at his age now.

Marbior Chol was around 79/80kgs in his draft year and would be 100kgs now which is about perfect for Biggy who was already 87kgs when drafted

I think Jack can go again next year, he is playing far better than Buddy 4 years ago

I know some like to talk JR into retirement, I am not buying it yet
Rubbish Buddy is still playing footy at a high standard now and has hardly tapered off in form in the last five years.
Jack is done mate and just accept it .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back