Gary Ablett season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

1. We’ve been hearing that since 2011. 8 seaso an on and it hasn’t happened yet.Forgive my skepticism.

Yes, and since 2011 you have been dying a slow death whilst the Bulldogs, Richmond, GWS all went past you. They are about to be joined by Port and Melbourne.

As I have mentioned before, Geelong seem to be making the similar mistakes that North made in the post Carey era.

8 seasons on and all you have done is make up the numbers.

2. This has what to do with our midfield depth exactly? After the main guy, and the next guy, and the next 3 guys after that, there’s only another 3-4 guys.

Why else would a 34 year old with muscle issues be playing 94% of game time?

I figured you were joking with Menegola and Ratugolea. Let's see how they look when Selwood & Ablett hang up the boots, as Selwood is also on the downward slide.

You sound like Barney at the poker game.

Delude yourself all you like, reality will just roll straight over the top of you anyway.

Viney, Jones, Oliver, Petracca, Lewis, Vince, Tyson, Salem, Neal Bullen, Harmes, Brayshaw, Melksham
There's 12 midfielders if you wanna talk depth.

This is Melbourne's actual real strength. They have an A grade midfield group and quality in the rotations.

When one of the 3 Geelong blokes goes down it's stands out like a sore thumb. They are probably the skinniest midfield after North and Carlton.

This is Melbourne's actual real strength. They have an A grade midfield group and quality in the rotations.

When one of the 3 Geelong blokes goes down it's stands out like a sore thumb. They are probably the skinniest midfield after North and Carlton.

I'd argue Oliver and Petracca are on their way to being starts but Geelongs main 3 are clearly better than our top 3. North's midfield isn't that bad, watching you guys on the weekend there's plenty there. I think Essendons is pretty bad

Look mate, it is not my fault that GAJ averages 10 games a year, is on $50k a game and just did his second hamstring for the year and it is only April.

I know you are shattered but I think it came out yesterday that he will out for more than 1 week.

The official period is indefinite.

Not good
More lies. You're really good at this aren't you?

Danger, Selwood, GAJ are all still top 10. Duncan in is right up there, Menegola, Kelly, Scott Selwood, Cam Guthrie are all servicable and have their moments. Depth for the midfield is Parfitt, Gregson, Parsons, Blicavs, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith, Fogarty and Constable

That is still a top 8 midfield, those highlighted in italics are spuds/playing out of position but even without those 3, that is 13 midfielders without really including non-mids (lel Melksham) like the Melbourne guy did.

I'd argue Oliver and Petracca are on their way to being starts but Geelongs main 3 are clearly better than our top 3.

Of course but they are waning and there's bugger all behind them due to Geelong's radical topping up since 2011.

North's midfield isn't that bad, watching you guys on the weekend there's plenty there.

Cunnington is elite inside and Jacobs is an elite tagger. That's it. Cunnington is often going up against two blokes as oppositions know that if they negate him they will win the clearances. After that our starting midfield consists of a half forward/winger (Higgins) and a forward/utility (Ziebell) that are battling on manfully against the odds. Our midfield is unbelievably skinny. LDU will take time as will Will Walker and Kyron Hayden. The surest pre draft bet in this years draft will be North taking Same Walsh, and backing him up with Thomas & Scott. Then we will have to trade. Hopefully a Dalhaus/Gaff with Josh Kelly at the end of next year.

Only then will we be capable of becoming a contender again.

I think Essendons is pretty bad

They are almost as bad as us. In support of them, if they can find two quality extractors then they should play finals so their issues could be a quick fix. They should go hard at Sloane and pick up someone like Miles, or one of your fringe blokes as support.

Of course but they are waning and there's bugger all behind them due to Geelong's radical topping up since 2011.

Please research before you post, on the weekend Geelong had 3 players from other clubs (4 if you include GAJ), only two teams had less (Sydney with 3 and WB with 1). Geelong also fielded the 4th youngest side of the round. Such radical topping up with youth!

Please research before you post, on the weekend Geelong had 3 players from other clubs (4 if you include GAJ), only two teams had less (Sydney with 3 and WB with 1). Geelong also fielded the 4th youngest side of the round. Such radical topping up with youth!

Okay mate. Where do you see Geelong finishing in 2020?

(infantile rubbish deleted). Top 4 would be my answer.

Top 4 at the end of 2020?

Okay, I will state now that you won't make the top 8.

Bookmark this thread. Let's see who ends up having the better footy smarts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty horrible use of Ablett by Chris Scott in rounds 1 and 2, when you look at the statistics.
A bit like a child who wants to use their new toy so much they end up damaging it.
Hard not to

He was absolutely carving us up.

They probably need to get a plan for tog and stick to it like we do with nn

Nn gasses and becomes ineffective - you guys have to manage him like that

Yes, and since 2011 you have been dying a slow death whilst the Bulldogs, Richmond, GWS all went past you. They are about to be joined by Port and Melbourne.

As I have mentioned before, Geelong seem to be making the similar mistakes that North made in the post Carey era.

8 seasons on and all you have done is make up the numbers.

Why else would a 34 year old with muscle issues be playing 94% of game time?

I figured you were joking with Menegola and Ratugolea. Let's see how they look when Selwood & Ablett hang up the boots, as Selwood is also on the downward slide.

Delude yourself all you like, reality will just roll straight over the top of you anyway.

Joking about Menegola? The guy would get a game in any team in the comp. he’s played plenty without Ablett - 2 seasons prior to this one. He’s not going to win a Brownlow anytime soon but he’s cut-and-dried proven himself.

Why would the best midfielder in the last 15 years play 94 per cent in the midfield, when we started the match without an elite midfielder and lost another starting midfielder a quarter into the game, and then another rotated midfielder (Cockatoo) halfway through the game?

Yeah, that’s a real head scratcher.

By the way, our games per player average is 85 at the moment. Two years ago it was 135.

And 2012? We bowed out first week of the finals.

Last two years we’ve made the prelim having missed the finals altogether in 2015.
So I’m f***ed if I know what your standpoint is.

Joking about Menegola?

A lot of his effectiveness is a result of symbiosis. The bloke is 67th for clearances (82nd for centre clearances) and 77th for contested possessions. He has had 11 clearances for the season. Cunnington did that in one match last week.

He's probably the 6th or 7th bloke opposition coaches think about, if they think about him at all.

Let's see how he is going when he only has Dangerfield for support.

A lot of his effectiveness is a result of symbiosis.

He's probably the 6th or 7th bloke opposition coaches think about, if they think about him at all.

Let's see how he is going when he only has Dangerfield for support.

So what? Joel Corey was probably the sixth or seventh bloke opposition coaches thought about. I guess that makes him s**t too.

So what? Joel Corey was probably the sixth or seventh bloke opposition coaches thought about. I guess that makes him s**t too.

He was midfield depth by the time Geelong really arrived.

Who are the up and coming blokes that are going to become the Ablett, Selwood and Bartel of the 2020 group?

So now we are talking about our midfield depth in 3 seasons, and not now? Ok.

The 2020 thing is an extension of my posting in this thread to NickCC earlier.

My view on how he will be perceived down the track relates back to my claim that he is currently inflated symbiotically.

Danger, Selwood, GAJ are all still top 10.

I don't think so.

If every single midfielder in the comp was lined up in a row there is no chance Ablett is picked in the first 10 and Selwood is even borderline these days. For one week he might get picked in the first ten. For a building a future team I doubt it.

Sheils as good as Duncan you are far too
kind to shiels. He is more like Scott Selwood level
It's probably more accurate to say Liam Shiels is between Mitch Duncan and Scott Selwood. Scott Selwood was good in 2011, 2012, and 2013 - and despite limited game time, he was pretty good in 2017, too - but since 2014 he's really struggled to get on the park averaging 11 games a season (2014 he played 12 games, 2015 he played 13 games, 2016 he played 5 games, and in 2017 he played 14 games). I also get the impression from watching the two play that Liam Shiels is a classier user of the pill (despite both being pure in-and-under players) and he's simply better at the spread, guarding space, shepherding after dishing out a handball, and running both ways. Basically, it's the little things that make Liam Shiels one of the best (if not the best) defensive-minded midfielder that's currently in the game.

In comparison, Mitch Duncan only started producing 'good' football in 2016 and 2017. Before then, Mitch Duncan was on the same level as George Horlin-Smith. He butchered the ball and was useless when it came to defensive acts. He got a lot of the pill, but played a lot more on the outside, and wasn't very damaging in his use. He wasn't bad enough to be delisted, but he was the type of player you'd try to trade on to hopefully get something marginally better with a few late draft picks, or used as a 'steak and knives' add-on to get a contentious trade over the line. I wouldn't be surprised if Geelong fans at the time were suggesting to add Mitch Duncan to the trade to get the Dangerfield trade over the line. Since then, Mitch Duncan has looked like a quality midfielder from 2016, and actually looked even better than Joel Selwood in 2017 (the fact Joel got an All-Australian and Duncan wasn't even in the squad was a howler).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back