Review Geelong 112 defeat Port 91 and the "curse of the bye"

Remove this Banner Ad

- Danger- not bad but wonder if he is struggling physically with other chronic issues.

Watching him warm up before the game, he still looks big in the body. I know he has always been a bit of a freak and blessed, genetically speaking. Probably would have had a body that pumped right up had he loved weight training full time but he looks top heavy.

I am wondering if anything could be done about it now he's on the wrong side of 30?
Could he even drop 5 or more kilograms with that type of physique. It would certainly help him run out games and be less taxing on his ankles and knees.

Watching him warm up before the game, he still looks big in the body. I know he has always been a bit of a freak and blessed, genetically speaking. Probably would have had a body that pumped right up had he loved weight training full time but he looks top heavy.

I am wondering if anything could be done about it now he's on the wrong side of 30?
Could he even drop 5 or more kilograms with that type of physique. It would certainly help him run out games and be less taxing on his ankles and knees.
If Hawkins could do it, Danger has no excuse.

I don't think he came back this season in tip top condition to start with,then the injury,It could combine to be a God sent he may be the player to carry us across the line in September having had a lighter game load.We have been fortunate we have chalked up wins without him we are now well positioned.

Reminds me of a few years ago now I played with a full forward (emphasis on full)who also had a drink or three gameday his choice was rum and coke though, the right amount and he was deadly accurate with the smoothest of run ups to goal,one to many and it was an all in blue before the first bounce and LLoydy scragging all game.

We've been saying it since Ottens retired..its our one clear position of weakness.
So you think we will fall short again this year? No way can we use the strengths of both Stanley and Sav in the same team to get us over?
That to me, seems like the best way forward. I doubt we have seen them much in the same team this year. We need Blic at FB, against some teams, and both Sav and Stanley are capable of hurting opposition.

Apropos of nothing, Brad Close Does Things.

View attachment 1152805

He just has great vision and awareness. Just makes things happen. I have paid a lot of attention to him when he gets the ball, and his decision making is top notch. Starting to become one of my favourite players. And those slick hands 👌

I don't think he came back this season in tip top condition to start with,then the injury,It could combine to be a God sent he may be the player to carry us across the line in September having had a lighter game load.We have been fortunate we have chalked up wins without him we are now well positioned.

He didn’t. He had dodgy groins last year and carried it into the pre-season. That was widely reported. The 6 weeks he had off with the ankle might have been a god send for the groins. But who knows how much difference that would have made.

So you think we will fall short again this year? No way can we use the strengths of both Stanley and Sav in the same team to get us over?
That to me, seems like the best way forward. I doubt we have seen them much in the same team this year. We need Blic at FB, against some teams, and both Sav and Stanley are capable of hurting opposition.
If we can make that work we are a better chance than the way we are going weakening our backline to prop up a substandard ruck division is a lose lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can make that work we are a better chance than the way we are going weakening our backline to prop up a substandard ruck division is a lose lose.
Its almost like the answer is to drop the worst tall defender in Kolo, move one of our best tall defenders in Blicavs back there, and use Stanley and Esava in the ruck and rotate forward/off the bench. Although Stanley can get around the ground quite well (not as well as Blicavs).

Anyone who doesn’t think we are contenders are wrong.

If, if we stay healthy, we're the team to beat. Danger made a big impact when he arrived, he took a lot of heat of Joel but then it messed Duncan around for a couple of years and maybe stalled or slowed the emergence of others.

Cameron has just reinvigorated everything.

Higgins, Dahlhaus out, Narkle, Meirs in. I'm not sold on Atkins, he made an important play late-ish in the game but was pretty meh for the rest of it. Is there a better option for him?

Oh, and Stanley back into the ruck.

If, if we stay healthy, we're the team to beat. Danger made a big impact when he arrived, he took a lot of heat of Joel but then it messed Duncan around for a couple of years and maybe stalled or slowed the emergence of others.

Cameron has just reinvigorated everything.

Higgins, Dahlhaus out, Narkle, Meirs in. I'm not sold on Atkins, he made an important play late-ish in the game but was pretty meh for the rest of it. Is there a better option for him?

Oh, and Stanley back into the ruck.

and C.Guthrie too.

Its almost like the answer is to drop the worst tall defender in Kolo, move one of our best tall defenders in Blicavs back there, and use Stanley and Esava in the ruck and rotate forward/off the bench. Although Stanley can get around the ground quite well (not as well as Blicavs).

I was a big Blicavs fan to start with, I turned on him last year as I don't think he's much of a defender but I'm liking how he's been used much better this year. His obvious weapon is his running power, what he lacks in footy smarts, he makes up for it with being able to get to so many contests and affect them.

I hope Higgins does the right thing and retires at years end, and not see out his 2 year contract

I don't think it's age I reckon he must be carrying something (probably groin) that's hampering his kicking. He's still getting to dangerous spots, is still composed in traffic but he's just butchering it by foot.

You lose speed and acceleration with age but you don't normally lose the ability to kick. He sort of looks like Ablett a couple of years ago where he was suddenly struggling to kick 45m and it turned out he was carrying a groin strain. Hopefully we do the smart thing and give him the rest to get it right because he's not much use if his kicking is a liability.

My preferred 22 for finals
FB. Bews Blicavs Kolo
HB. Duncan Hendo Henry
C. O'Connor Selwood Smith
HF. Close Cameron Parfitt
FF. Miers Hawkins Rohan
R. Stanley Danger C.Guthrie
I/C. Menegola, Simpson, Tuohy, Sav, med sub Narkle
emerg- Atkins, Higgins, Dahlhaus
Unfortunately, Higgins and Dahl appear to be locks.
Stewart is a bit stiff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back