List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2012 AFL National Draft (selections Nos. 16, 77 and 92)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see us picking a ruck in the draft. Not this year.
Simpson, West and Vardy are all young enough. And we can cherry pick from free agency next year if needed.

To be honest I'm not sure what we need.
Possibly a lock down back man type.
Or a 2012 model Enright.

Whoa there boy!!!
Do you remember 44 when he first started? Skinny, erratic kick, dodgy shoulders, good mark, inauspicious start to his career at Geelong. He has evolved beautifully into what we know, but was it always so? I see Guthrie as being able to take on a similar role, and he has good skills and smarts. But I also thought Gillies could replace 44 eventually.

Do you remember 44 when he first started? Skinny, erratic kick, dodgy shoulders, good mark, inauspicious start to his career at Geelong. He has evolved beautifully into what we know, but was it always so? I see Guthrie as being able to take on a similar role, and he has good skills and smarts. But I also thought Gillies could replace 44 eventually.

I'd be happy if he's half as good, I'm not greedy, I don't expect "once in 50 years players" every 10 years.
Want them, yes; but expect, no.

Didn't take long for me get excited about the prospects of the young 44. Had the wonderful balance and "time" from the get-go. Moved like a caucasian Andrew McLeod.
Yeah keep talking dirty like that. I love it :oops:

Enright is still underrated.
Agreed, enough of the horse poop. He's "elite" a "jet" or some other lame big footy term. Awesome player - haven't been much better in his position in the last 50 years. :thumbsu:

Enright is a once in 50 year player? Really? I mean he is a good player but lets not go nuts. He's probably not even in the top five players of our current era.
He and Hinkley are the 2 best HBFs I've seen play for us since I started watching in about 1960.

Sorry, I should have explained that I was talking in the context of his position as a HBF.
I would certainly include him in the best 5 of the current era.
He is also, of course, the club's only ever dual Premiership B&F.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He and Hinkley are the 2 best HBFs I've seen play for us since I started watching in about 1960.
That doesn't make them once in fifty year players. The half back flank isn't exactly where the best players play. They're where players who aren't good enough to be forwards or midfielders play. Hinkley was an ordinary forward forced to go back. Enright was never as good a midfielder as Corey, Ablett, Bartel. They both had traits well suited to playing in the backline though. Hinkley was an exceptional reader of the play and Enright was very good under pressure and capable of being very accountable on an opponent.

Sorry, I should have explained that I was talking in the context of his position as a HBF.
I would certainly include him in the best 5 of the current era.
He is also, of course, the club's only ever dual Premiership B&F.
That makes more sense then. Enright is the best permanent Geelong back flanker I've seen. Although Colbert would of been better if he wasn't needed as a midfielder/forward. Milburn and Mansfield weren't a long way behind Enright though.

That makes more sense then. Enright is the best permanent Geelong back flanker I've seen. Although Colbert would of been better if he wasn't needed as a midfielder/forward. Milburn and Mansfield weren't a long way behind Enright though.

Everybody has their own opinion and biases I suppose.
In my opinion,as HBFs, Enright, Hinkley and Bos were in a completely different class to Colbert and Mansfield.
Milburn wasn't far behind those 3, however.
And if it comes to "could have been better" if they'd played there more often than they did, well you can probably throw Denis Marshall and one G.Ablett into the mix.

Enright is still underrated.

Yep, still true. Only thing I can think of is he doesn't run & carry which is the #1 way of getting noticed (eg Harry O).

As for the draft we don't seem to have any pressing needs. Take best available mid or an injured slider. I would like to have one of those left footers who kick the ball 90m.

Ken Hinkley was another brilliant defender and I'd have him ahead of Milburn or Mansfield due to his creativity and he played similarly to Mackie yet also had the aerial prowess of a much taller man.
His only weakness was his strength, not very strong at all but he made up for it in the air or on the ground.

Boris surpasses all of those though, he would have made a terrific midfielder with his ability to work through traffic and make the right decisions on most occasions.
He originally was tried as a mid, did not cut it a well as he has since hbf, where he excels.

Be a brave call to go after another 200 cm+ ruckman after Simpson taking so long to develop. But if that's what Wells goes after with pick 16 I won't question him lol.
Plays different to Dawson he is more agile and mobile.

Had a great introduction to senior footy and did well against Ottens when playing for South Barwon.

Not sure if you have read Chris25's reviews , not sure enjoyed his mid 60 picks.
Card him.. you're a spec mod... make it happen..:p

And we might have to shift up a little....

Cmon Wellsy make it stick....

GO Catters

I'm interested that a few have brought up Garlett's name, I've seen a fair bit of him this year as he plays for my WAFL club. There is little doubt in my mind that he *could* be in the best couple of players drafted this year - he's strong, quick, evasive, good tackler, pretty good kick (regularly kicks goals from around 50 on the run), and reasonably capable overhead. He is probably a bit different to Cyril and Jetta - who he has been compared to - in that he appears a better inside player than both of them, but he has a touch of Jetta in his run and long kicking, and also a bit of Cyril in that he is quick in close and provides good defensive pressure. He can go missing at times - he is obviously young - but he is a match winner, when he is on he can turn a game on its head in short time - much like Ronnie used to :)... In terms of his development, I would say he is more advanced than Michael Walters at the same age, possibly on par with Chris Yarran. Given Yarran took a year to make seniors at Carlton, I'd probably expect a year in the seconds. He plays alongside Marlon Motlop who was obviously discarded from Port, Garlett is the better player already despite the age gap. And that is a big tick - any 18 year old who can win games off his own boot in the WAFL seniors has some talent.

If the Cats pick him at 15, I'd certainly be pretty rapt, but personally I think our pick would better spent on a strong bodied mid in terms of our current needs.

So basically he is just like Bundy then?

Enright is a once in 50 year player? Really? I mean he is a good player but lets not go nuts. He's probably not even in the top five players of our current era.
Just goes to show how very under rated Boris truly is.
A two time Carji winner in this current era isn't rated as a top 5 player by some.
Astounding really

Apologies for flogging this horse, but...
Does anyone have some official information on whether we can use 2 of our required 3 live picks to upgrade rookies?

If I am correct in my thinking, then the answer to this means the difference between
a) being able to keep one of Simpkin or Sheringham* on our list, if we wish
b) losing both of them and having to draft whatever is left at pick 59, like it or not

I had a scratch around and it appears that the exact draft rules are another opaque facet of AFL Pty Ltd.

* I use these two names because the BF consensus is that they are the two rookies about to walk the plank.

Edit. 2nd pick is 59, not 79 as I originally posted
I asked the guy's on the trade chat at the Hun and Trade Week radio about it and the reply I got from both was that we can indeed use two draft picks to upgrade rookies to count as 2 of the 3 required draft choices. So we can upgrade Stringer and one of our other rookies rather than taking a flyer on an unknown to our coaching panel player.

I asked the guy's on the trade chat at the Hun and Trade Week radio about it and the reply I got from both was that we can indeed use two draft picks to upgrade rookies to count as 2 of the 3 required draft choices. So we can upgrade Stringer and one of our other rookies rather than taking a flyer on an unknown to our coaching panel player.
Thanks for that.
It is good news, and personally I think we will upgrade 2 rookies, and thereby minimize the delistings.

Although, if Wells has his eye on a smokey at 79 then, as always, he knows best!

Everybody has their own opinion and biases I suppose.
In my opinion,as HBFs, Enright, Hinkley and Bos were in a completely different class to Colbert and Mansfield.
Milburn wasn't far behind those 3, however.
And if it comes to "could have been better" if they'd played there more often than they did, well you can probably throw Denis Marshall and one G.Ablett into the mix.
How could I forget Bos. I wasn't old enough to see Denis Marshall although my old man says he was something pretty special. I personally thought Colbert was a better defender than Enright although they are hard to compare because Colbert could play a bit taller while Enright could play only on the shorter players. There is no real right or wrong answer to this question. This is not to say I don't think Enright is a fantastic player. He is and is one of my favourites. But the only players who I could say are once in a generation type players from the current era would be Scarlett as a full back and Ablett as a midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back