List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2012 AFL National Draft (selections Nos. 16, 77 and 92)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of articles from Emma Quayle in the lead up:

Club-by-club guide to the draft:

GEELONG
In: Josh Caddy, Hamish McIntosh, Jared Rivers
Out: Shannon Byrnes, Simon Hogan, Tom Gillies, Matthew Scarlett, Orren Stephenson, David Wojcinski
Rookie upgrade: Jesse Stringer
Draft picks: 16, 79, 93 (PR)
DEPTH CHARTS
TALL FORWARDS: Tom Hawkins, James Podsiadly, Josh Walker (rookie), Mitch Brown, Shane Kersten
TALL DEFENDERS: Harry Taylor, Tom Lonergan, Andrew Mackie, Jared Rivers, Joel Hamling, Ryan Bathie (rookie)
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, Allen Christensen, Steven Motlop, Mathew Stokes, Daniel Menzel, Lincoln McCarthy, George Burbury (rookie)
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Corey Enright, Josh Hunt, Jordan Murdoch, Jed Bews, Cam Eardley (rookie)
MIDFIELDERS: Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel, James Kelly, Joel Corey, Mitch Duncan, Travis Varcoe, Taylor Hunt, Josh Caddy, Billie Smedts, Cameron Guthrie, Josh Cowan, George Horlin-Smith, Jordan Schroder, Jesse Stringer, Jackson Sheringham (rookie), Mark Blicavs (rookie)
RUCKS: Hamish McIntosh, Nathan Vardy, Trent West, Dawson Simpson
DRAFT DAY: The Cats have a happy knack of coming up with a good list of rankings, waiting, then simply picking off the best player available at their first choice. Sitting in the middle of the first round this year, they'll do the same again given they have no obvious, pressing needs. Jake Stringer, a strong midfielder/ forward was in their sights last year as part of the 17-year-old mini-draft, until he broke his leg, and although he's had a rough year, he is a big chance to be chosen here unless the Bulldogs grab him early. Others being considered are onballer Nick Vlastuin, the Geelong Falcons' quick, agile centre half-forward, Mason Wood, Tasmania's big, bullocking midfielder, Jesse Lonergan, and sharp South Australian onballer Ben Kennedy, who may have been nabbed by North Melbourne. Should Gold Coast pass on Josh Simpson, the Cats will consider him in a big way: he was rated a top-five talent this time last year and has had an interrupted year after moving from South Australia back to Perth, but is one of the draft's classiest talents.

The Pick of the Crop:

JAKE STRINGER
(Bendigo Pioneers. 18, 191cm, 94kg)
Putting his broken leg aside, and assuming that a year in an AFL environment will help him get his body ready, Stringer is definite top-end talent. There aren't many like him: as a tall midfielder he will crash, bash, tackle and fight for the ball. Playing forward he knows how to position himself, how to take marks and is capable of kicking multiple goals or at least disrupting play down there. He has confidence, which comes through in the way he plays, and loves being challenged to prove himself.
Who will pick him? Stringer is another intriguing prospect, given that he looked like a player returning from a badly broken leg this year. The Dogs have done lots of work on him, making him a slight chance at No. 6, but he's more likely to get outside the top 10 and could end up anywhere between there and Geelong or Fremantle at picks 16 and 17.
13. JOSH SIMPSON
(East Fremantle. 18, 184cm, 73kg)
Simpson had some injury problems this year and wasn't at his best coming into the under-18 championships. A speedster, he escapes tackles, slips away, and can kick brilliant goals, he is hungry to get involved and to get other players involved. He's exciting.
Who will pick him? The Dockers are very keen on Simpson, who moved back to Western Australia after finishing school in Adelaide this year. But they'd need Gold Coast to pass at 13 to get to him. Should even the Dockers pass, expect Geelong, Collingwood, Adelaide or Sydney to grab him.
15. NICK VLASTUIN
(Northern Knights. 18, 187cm, 86kg)
Vlastuin is a soldier: he puts his head down, doesn't worry about anything but what's in front of him and loves to sit other players on their backsides and get dirty. He's still developing the tank to run as a full-time onballer but that should happen once he goes full-time. There isn't much space between "Tigger's" best footy and quiet games. He generally just plays well.
Who will pick him? Richmond, is the word. The Tigers have been linked to Vlastuin for quite some time. There's plenty of clubs looking for midfielders after that; Carlton would consider him at 11, and Geelong is also interested.
17. MASON WOOD
(Geelong Falcons. 18, 192cm, 80kg)
Wood has a nice streak of confidence, which you need as a key forward. He's grown a few centimetres in the past year or two and gotten a bit stronger but has still been able to use his strengths: he's got a fast first few steps, he covers a lot ground and he knows how to manoeuvre himself to get around players. Do these things more consistently at AFL level and he'll be tough to match up on.
Who will pick him? Quite a few clubs are interested in Wood. He's a chance for either Fremantle or Geelong and three clubs with picks in the 20s are keen: Adelaide, Sydney and St Kilda.
20. JESSE LONERGAN
(Launceston. 18, 182cm, 91kg)
Lonergan's season started late because of injury but he came back really well. A big-bodied, powerful sort of midfielder who is really hard to dislodge when he's sitting under the ball. A bold, explosive player who always has a smile on his face.
Who will pick him? He's a chance for Carlton at No. 11, and the Suns could take him at pick 13. He's in Geelong's mix too, but could get through into the late 20s.

Some interesting permutations there. Sound like Vlastuin is only arriving at our pick if a few teams go for top 5 sliders or needs. Stringer hinges on the Dogs decision at #6, and Josh Simpson will probably be available. We'll know more by Thursday but beginning to think Simpson is a serious chance.

I have read a lot about the ND draftees like never before. Maybe I am just bored without some footy going on.

It has been a an interesting journey as I know the basic top 20 picks that are most likely. I will watch with interest what happens this Thursday.

Sounds like the first 2 picks in the ND are agreed upon (Whitfield and Toumpas), Wines to Melbourne seems also a done deal, Grundy to go top 8 and Tenzel top 12. Now the Tigers seem to have Vlatsuin on their hit list. O'Rourke to go somewhere in the 10 also. Macrae, Plowman and Mayes will also be gone by our pick.

Stringer may fall - and is a very outside chance to get to pick 16. Very outside.

But the guys I like (from just reading others reviews) seem out of grasp.

Looks like the following will definately be there - Wood, Garlett, Membrey, Hvorat, Lonergan and Colquhoun.

Possibles look like - Kennedy, Clurey, Jaksch, Simpson, Garner and Smith.

Although I am keen on getting a big bodied mid such as Stringer I think he will be gone.

The more I think about it with Lonergan, Rivers and Mackie all 28 - we might be in need of a KPB - as Hamling looks a fair way away yet, Walker may be an option and Bathie may not make it.

So unless Stringer is there at pick 16 we could take a tall - like Jaksch or Clurey.

Having got Caddy already and the club may rate Horlin-Smith - they may think a tall is a good idea as long as they a back not a forward.

Just so interesting. Can't wait for Thursday.

If wells somehow, on the way to the draft, left his list at home and needed one quickly, this is what I would give him to cross of as they get called out.

Order of preference:

1. Whitfield
2. Toumpas
3. Stringer
4. Menzel
5. Wines
6. O'rourke
7. Macrae
8. Plowman
9. Grundy
10. Simpson
11. Garlett
12. Vlastuin
13. Jaksch
14. Garner
15. Kennedy
16. Obrien

If wells somehow, on the way to the draft, left his list at home and needed one quickly, this is what I would give him to cross of as they get called out.

Order of preference:

1. Whitfield
2. Toumpas
3. Stringer
4. Menzel
5. Wines
6. O'rourke
7. Macrae
8. Plowman
9. Grundy
10. Simpson
11. Garlett
12. Vlastuin
13. Jaksch
14. Garner
15. Kennedy
16. Obrien

Reckon this is a pretty good list and may will be spot on or close to the mark. Still reckon Wines will pick 4 as all the talk is Melbourne are really keen on him. Simpson may not go so high and not sure GFC will go for Obrien. Stringer may slide a little too. But we shall see.

Whats all this talk about " bullying ".....Stringer is not going to "bully" anyone at this level. This isn't U13 b's!! We all saw what happened when Viney tried to " bully" Wojo....taught the kid one hell of a lesson.

Being the tough guy in lower leagues doesnt cut it at elite level.

Stuff the tough guy bullshit...I accept that a big body would be handy, but I want courageous, skilled player, good by hand and foot, who makes sound decisions when in possession.

If that's Stringer, all well and good. He certainly looks like he has a lot to offer, but I doubt Wells is even the slightest bit interested in the "bully" factor.

That's exactly what he is, and more.

We'd be nuts to pass on Stringer if he's available at 16.

If we get lucky enough that he drops that far, I have no doubt we will take him.

Order of preference:

1. Whitfield
2. Toumpas
3. Stringer
4. Menzel
5. Wines
6. O'rourke
7. Macrae
8. Plowman
9. Grundy
10. Simpson
11. Garlett
12. Vlastuin
13. Jaksch
14. Garner
15. Kennedy
16. Obrien

I forgot Mayes... Would slot him in 13 after Vlastuin

Some interesting permutations there. Sound like Vlastuin is only arriving at our pick if a few teams go for top 5 sliders or needs. Stringer hinges on the Dogs decision at #6, and Josh Simpson will probably be available. We'll know more by Thursday but beginning to think Simpson is a serious chance.

Like always, when your first round pick is a fair way down the order, it's hard to pinpoint what we'll do simply because it's fairly hard to accurately guess who the clubs in front of us will take. Seems to be becoming clearer though that Stringer and Simpson are the two we are unlikely to let get past us if they are still there when we pick. I'd be very happy with either.

That's exactly what he is, and more.

We'd be nuts to pass on Stringer if he's available at 16.

If we get lucky enough that he drops that far, I have no doubt we will take him.

Looks like the sort of kid who could play on any line. Given Scott's comments that he wants the players to be flexible as far as where they play, I think he would be a good fit.

Stringer, Garlett, Simpson - if we get one of these 3 - and we certainly will have that opportunity - we have done well. All will add to our list in different ways but fill needs that we will require over the next few years. I would probably lean to Stringer now that there is some possibility he may fall.

It's probably only through my own ignorance but the KP players in this draft don't overly excite me. I'm happy to pass on any of them for our first rounder. Wells may see it very differently though and I bow to his (far) superior judgement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt the bulldogs will have the "guts" to pick Stringer as high as 6. If he were to not reach the heights due to the injury the backlash for the club would be massive. They will play safe and go for other options Macrae, O'Rourke, Mayes etc. The only other club who can afford to take a risk with Stringer is GWS just because of their abundance of picks. Other than that no other club with only 1 pick ahead of us will roll the dice. I think Stringer is a massive chance to get to the cats and the only realistic club to stand in our way is GWS.

If by some chance that Stringer does go before 16 I hope the cats go for an out and out midfielder like Vlastuin, Hrovat or Lonergan.

With Free Agency now up and running the need to be developing numerous kpp at any given time is less important than before. If none of Brown, Walker, Bathie and Hamling show that they are capable of being long term key defenders in the next year of two, I could see the cats going out and having a crack at an established key defender.

Talking bout Brown and Hamling.
Still, they've had a few years, but the point I'm making is, they also need bodies apart from developing their footy skills, so you're fighting on two fronts.
Think we need larger framed selections this time!

Stringers no champion yet, as some are suggesting, king of the kids maybe, but that's about it so far!

Brown may have had a few injury interrupted years, but Hamling was only drafted last year.

Brown may have had a few injury interrupted years, but Hamling was only drafted last year.

Brown a few!..........Hamling didn't make the reserve team in last years granny, bit of a worry, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a senior debut next season either. Got to get VFL regular yet.

Do you get my drift?

The standout tall in this years crop is clearly Jo Daniher who is being F/S to Essendon.

The bombers site has already added him to their list and have him listed as 197cm and only 77kg!

Just shows it's not unusual for you KP prospects to be on the skinny side when they are drafted.

The standout tall in this years crop is clearly Jo Daniher who is being F/S to Essendon.

The bombers site has already added him to their list and have him listed as 197cm and only 77kg!

Just shows it's not unusual for you KP prospects to be on the skinny side when they are drafted.

Probably dud figures so The Weapon can claim the credit for building him up.:)

Those figures are way out of date.

He is currently 201cm and 91kg.

50 seconds in, not even his legs have an ounce of muscle to be seen

That video is from March 2011.

that's a recent video from July, still looks very skinny to me.
No doubt he's gonna be a gun though...he moves so well for such a tall kid.

Probably would have gone no.1 in the draft if he wasn't father/son.

True, he has a lot of beefing up to do, most likely another 15-odd kilograms.

The best thing is that he missed the entire 2011 season, meaning he was able to focus on putting some bulk on, which may have actually fast-tracked his development.

he's going to be so hard to contain, I'd hate to be a defender in today's game as they really have a much tougher time trying to win one on one battles as it is let alone having to deal with the new proto-type full forwards who stand 6ft'7 and can jump as high as the ruckman and kick just as well as the midfielders.

If he can really work on the core strength like Cotchin is becoming famous for, he'd be good enough at ground level to hold his own against the smaller defenders and that would be the complete big man.

He already is excellent below his feet which is the scary thing.

Hopefully he has the career he is so very capable of.

Article on Stringer in today's Age. Warning: image not for the weak of stomach:
''People say, 'What happened to your leg? How bad did it look? What was it like?' I just hand the phone over and say, 'Have a look for yourself'. They take one look and then it's, 'Oh, come on, I didn't need to see that'.''
Sounds like he's got the right attitude towards it...and those performances for Bendigo in the VFL are reassuring. The fact one of them was against us probably doesn't hurt his chances either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back