Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes and no. Those decisions were inconsistent with some precedents, consistent with others. The Ablett v Soldo verdicts from this year could be similarly cited.

I'm talking about being allowed to play because it's a final, "no matter what".
Nothing in it.

Hawkins is gone - off the ball and not a good look for the game.

Remember Dusty's?
Dusty won a brownlow clocking a bloke off the ball. You blokes are fear us.

Yeah whatever. We're a better chance if Hawkins doesn't play.

There's a need for rules that are clearly understood. If offences are going to be graded more leniently in finals, fine, make it an official rule.

A random approach lends itself to corruption.
Nah lets keep the H&A ruling on things like this.
The precedent must be followed

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Not really a super team, but a super game plan that everyone else has struggled against when Richard have most of their stars on the field and in peak fitness. They'd have been a good chance of going for 3 in a row this year if Martin was fit during last year's finals campaign. I hate watching the team, because I don't find their game style entertaining, and I was hoping we'd avoid a GF with Richmond in it this year, but that seems the most likely outcome now, and I don't think the other teams have much hope of stopping them now.

Geelong did deal with them comfortably earlier in the year, but Richmond were rock bottom at that stage, losing 3 in a row to North, Cats, Adelaide, easily their worst stretch of the season. They've not lost a game since that horror stretch of 3, and the only team that got close has just been knocked out of the finals race. They've beaten all of the remaining finalists except Cats in the back half of the year. It was perhaps an easier draw in the back half of the season, and maybe Pies were in a form slump when Richmond got them, so perhaps too early to call it as complete one horse race, especially if GWS can impress again tomorrow, but its not looking good for those that are backing "anyone but Richmond" after tonights result IMO. Geelong were good tonight, but WC looked very flat coming out of the blocks, and you wonder how much the Rioli situation had knocked them about psychologically (not to mention his absence on the ground).

Not that I want to gloat too much because anyone can beat anyone on their day but here is a list of players who were missing in that Geelong game that played last week against Brisbane:

Riewoldt
Astbury
Lambert
Nankervis
Broad
Bolton
B Ellis
Short

Imagine? I heard the same thing being said this time last year.
Nothing personally against Richmond except some of their fans are a bit hard to take following a premiership win - mind you Geelong supporters are just as bad. Anyway if Brisbane don't manage to get into the GF I will be going for Collingwood seeing they came so close to winning it last year. Also if it's not my team like to see somebody different get up and win the flag seeing Richmond won it in 2017. My first preference is Brisbane but think it may be a year or two too soon due to their lack of finals experience. It's probably Richmonds to lose but it's never over until the fat lady sings!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the fact Dusty wasn't really fit - wasn't he carrying an injury during the finals last year?
He copped a corkie that bled into his knee if I remember correctly. Was not right to play but was played anyway. A player that good you'd play regardless, we'd have done the same. Danger was not right tonight for example, they still played him.

Not that I want to gloat too much because anyone can beat anyone on their day but here is a list of players who were missing in that Geelong game that played last week against Brisbane:

Riewoldt
Astbury
Lambert
Nankervis
Broad
Bolton
B Ellis
Short
A lot of class there. :rolleyes:

So tony Greene can rape a bloke in broad daylight and cop a fine and Hawkins will get suspended. Let’s get realistic people. Will cop a fine and that’s it
Na he'll get suspended. Nothing surer. It won't matter.

Its surreal. Tonight I realise how lucky we were to win the flag last year. NN and Gaff missing, Sheppard hammy first week, Collingwood outplaying up most of the first final but not putting it on the scoreboard (giving us an opportunity to win in the last quarter which we did), Richmond suffering gastro and knocking themselves out, letting us play Collingwood again in the GF, Melbourne being overawed in a PF, Pies kicking the first five yet we came back and still won the GF. We had a stronger team on the park tonight and we still lost, I think we're due a mini rebuild now. Might see us slip out of finals next year.

Well, it wasn't that bad of a 1/4 time prediction, Cockarfitt

Cats led by 25 points and ended up winning by 20, more or less like I thought.
Eagles lost the game with their poor opening. Didn't look as switched on as the Cats.

Geelong 13.10 def West Coast 10.8

I nailed Geelong's exact score and was out by 8 points with the Eagles.
Yes agree - thought they looked a bit flat in the first - took them awhile to get their mojo going and probably used up a lot of juice getting back into the game & finally hitting the front. Also Hurn & Barass getting injuries and playing on one leg at the end didn't help our cause.

Riewoldt
Astbury
Lambert
Nankervis
Broad
Bolton
B Ellis
Short

Yeah, some will say (probably correctly) that a few of those are fringe best 22, but the reality is when you play a game style highly reliant on the team executing a plan as a group, having a bunch of best 22 players missing makes that difficult even if they are not the classiest players on your list. Geelong will have to play another very very good game to get over Richmond in their current form IMO, and I'm really not sure Geelong have that in them. Richmond is playing nothing like they did back when they lost to North, Cats and Crows over that 3 week period.

So tony Greene can rape a bloke in broad daylight and cop a fine and Hawkins will get suspended. Let’s get realistic people. Will cop a fine and that’s it

Leaving the the distasteful rape comparison aside, do you really think the AFL will treat a Geelong player in the same manner it treats a GWS player? The AFL would love to see a Richmond vs Pies grand final. If they can't have that, anything involving GWS or Lions would be preferable over having Geelong make it. Hawkins may get off, but assuming anything a GWS player gets sets a precedent for what will happen to a Geelong player seems a little naive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back