Review Geelong defeats Lions by 42 points @ KP - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

ive always warmed to 'underdogs', in terms of both individuals and teams... love GHS, murdoch (still #1), kolo, blitz in the early days, loved blake, would like to have seen david johnson win a medal. definitely dont think they always deliver/delivered, i know they have various limitations - but always wish/wished them well!
Completely empathise with that

Henry was great today but I guarantee he wont be left alone in F50 next week.

Tigers defenders dont lose forwards like that.

But geez he's a great kid.

Go Catters
He’ll have Rance on him next week for there is no way known Rance will want to go near Hawkins when he is in this kind of form. Rance will have a Jenkins/Melksham kind of return against him if he plays on Tom

Devastated about Tom Stewart! Faces a huge test to get up again this year. Will prob cost him AA honours to :(

He’ll have Rance on him next week for there is no way known Rance will want to go near Hawkins when he is in this kind of form. Rance will have a Jenkins/Melksham kind of return against him if he plays on Tom
Admittedly that's not so much a knock on Rance - after all, Geelong have historically done that with its best defender (Scarlett, then Taylor) since 2007 - get Lonergan/Harley/Egan to play on the best forward, and free up Scarlett/Taylor across HB.

Rance may not start on Hawkins, but he will be plan b if Astbury starts to get beaten.

Don't underestimate Rance, by the way. I know that he isn't the tightest-checking defender by nature, but he is the best backman since Scarlett.

Admittedly that's not so much a knock on Rance - after all, Geelong have historically done that with its best defender (Scarlett, then Taylor) since 2007 - get Lonergan/Harley/Egan to play on the best forward, and free up Scarlett/Taylor across HB.

Rance may not start on Hawkins, but he will be plan b if Astbury starts to get beaten.

Don't underestimate Rance, by the way. I know that he isn't the tightest-checking defender by nature, but he is the best backman since Scarlett.
If Richmond are smart they'll tag Duncan, then they wont have to worry about Hawkins so much.

bit of a nothing game

Parfitt was pretty good
Henderson much better this week

Stanley solid again

cant get too excited, real stuff next week
If we'd lost you would not be calling it a nothing game.

Not a ******* chance. You'd be blasting with both barrels. Bullshit comment.
To be honest, cynical does have a point here - beating a side which is 4 and 13 for the year by seven goals at home isn't exactly a noteworthy performance. It's a decent enough margin to be comfortable, but nothing that really signifies decent improvement, or a side which is going to go deep into September.

And yes, of course the game would have meant something IF we would have lost it. A seven goal win is really neither here nor there.

If Richmond are smart they'll tag Duncan, then they wont have to worry about Hawkins so much.
Admittedly, tagging isn't really part of Richmond's makeup - probably because their team defence all over the ground is just so good. I do agree about your point about Duncan as the delivery man, though.

I'm not sure exactly what the "secret" to beating Richmond is in terms of ball movement. I get the feeling that going too fast and too long plays into the hands of Vlaustin, Astbury and Rance - instead, trying to choke it up and force ball-ups (to expose Nankervis) and longer kicking (to expose the over-reliance on Riewoldt) might be the way to go.

Domsy was a better backman than Rance. Look at his game today against Cox, if it were anyone bar Rance every time he wrapped two arms around Cox in a contest it would have been a free kick.

Domsy was a better backman than Rance. Look at his game today against Cox, if it were anyone bar Rance every time he wrapped two arms around Cox in a contest it would have been a free kick.
I don't agree with that. If I were to pick one backman to contain a single tall forward all day, then I'd pick Lonergan (by just a hair, mind you - Rance's performances against Buddy were pretty epic) - but if I were building a side and was picking from all backmen since Scarlett, I'd pick Rance.

Rance's ability to cover ground, his ability to control the entirety of the back 50, his ability to take pack marks, the amount of footy he wins and the threat he offers as a counter-attacker will see him higher in the pecking order than Lonergan in history. We didn't need Rance, though - we had Harry, so Lonergan made more sense in that Astbury role.

Only 1 of those holds true and one player doesn't make a team. We have too many deficiencies, we are poorly coached and we have players getting picked on reputation or favoritism rather than performance. Our bottom 6 are among the worst in the league and we don't work hard enough, nor are we hard enough for long enough. We lack genuine skill and we don't have a small forward who is capable of kicking multiple goals. We also lack players with genuine foot skills and class and our game plan has proven it doesn't stand up under pressure. I could go on and on.
Please do, I love reading your posts. Easily the most astute poster on the board right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, Christensen did kick a goal. Although it was after he held the ball against Bews chest and Bews was pinged for holding the ball. One of the worst umpiring bloopers this year.
He actually held the ball in behind Bews, against his own chest and Bews lower back. It was a weird decision, as Bews didn’t have the ball. But he did dive on it to initially take possession.

My Swans’ fan Mum adored Plugger! Although, she called him Slugger Plugger would seek out Mum after every SCG game + give her a cuddle. Mum would be “Oh Slugger this” + “Oh Slugger that”. One of the players, Kelly or someone said if anyone else called him Slugger, he’d knock their head off

Remember when he played for Saints + Swans players let a pig loose?

The good old days of Plugger + Jacko. . .no shenanigans now. Only Hodge kneeing a Geelong play in the buttock.

Dermott actually found that funny. And the fact that Robinson took Danger out in the centre square with an unsuspecting bump from behind. It’s dirty play that shouldn’t be applauded.

Imagine if Danger got a cracked rib and was out for 4 weeks?

Dermott actually found that funny. And the fact that Robinson took Danger out in the centre square with an unsuspecting bump from behind. It’s dirty play that shouldn’t be applauded.

Imagine if Danger got a cracked rib and was out for 4 weeks?
he'd claim it as payback for Yates

GO Catters

You'd think they'd be satisfied with 13 goals from your 3 talls which is really 1 tall a med/tall and a medium-sized player in Menzel.
Wouldn't be surprised if Scott thinks covering a back flank worth stuffing with our most effective forward setup.
Today was our second best score for the year, should mean something you'd reckon?

It’s horses for courses.

While the Tigers are good on every line, having a competent quick backman who can cut off Richmond’s avalanche of attacks through marks and tackles is probably more important than a stay at home leaping forward.

Crameri’s leads up the ground will probably be more useful in this game.

Also, the forwards are scoring because the midfield are dominating and winning clearances, not because of the personnel, which regularly chops and changes around the mainstay- Hawkins.

I’m only just beginning Q2.
Still catching up on BF, Fb + my other forums, after two days without the Internets

News had that horrid friendly fire of Duncan’s knee to his ribs. Later in Q1 held his own + moved the ball Forward under pressure.
I’m the worst person to ask, cannot stand criticism of our players unless truly deserved, Stanley at the beginning of the Season. Everyone has an off day.
If I was going to criticise anything, it’d be the goal inaccuracy in Q1.
Clearly, instead of watching games you are waiting in the loo until they are finished. This is a bigger sacrifice than when Jimmy became a tagger for one important game in ‘09. It’s a huge sacrifice Kitty, but I reckon it might just get you your first Carji.

Bews needs to learn to thrash around like Jimmy used to do when threatened. Guthrie is another who just lays there comotose on top of the ball. If the maggots don't see any effort, that's all they need. Don't trust the bastards and wiggle like a worm.

They're experienced players, there's no excuse. Not like it's a new rule.

To be honest, cynical does have a point here - beating a side which is 4 and 13 for the year by seven goals at home isn't exactly a noteworthy performance. It's a decent enough margin to be comfortable, but nothing that really signifies decent improvement, or a side which is going to go deep into September.

And yes, of course the game would have meant something IF we would have lost it. A seven goal win is really neither here nor there.

Relying just on raw numbers is a mugs game. Brissy came into the game with their previous four being

- a five point loss to Adelaide
- a five goal win over Hawthorn in Tassie
- two ten goal wins over Freo in Perth and Carlton

Nobody has said that they were flag bound. But treating them like low quality opposition on exposed form would be silly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back