Review Geelong defeats Norf by 24 points at Etihad.

Remove this Banner Ad

The attempted boos were easily drowned out by the cheers. 21,000 that's all? The pathetic attempts to contrive momentum from crowd support for North with signs popping up after a Roos goal, "make some noise" and a North spruiker coming over the loud speaker, something out of "1984". Given the AFL's desire to have larger crowds at games perhaps in future North's home games vs Cats should be held at Kardinia Park, only fair.
That artificial crowd noise is also present at many of our games at KP. I hate it.

Two interesting pieces of commentary yesterday.

One was David kings brilliant call when the ball was on the outer wing.
He said nth have to watch Ablett here. He's just strolling through the middle on his own.

5 seconds later Ablett cruises into the back of the pack on the flank (still on his own)
Gets ball. Goal.

He actually kicked his fourth the same way.

Second piece of commentary was by Roos re: Kelly.
"A million dollars a year is starting to come into the discussion".

I thought 'we're screwed'.

The attempted boos were easily drowned out by the cheers. 21,000 that's all? The pathetic attempts to contrive momentum from crowd support for North with signs popping up after a Roos goal, "make some noise" and a North spruiker coming over the loud speaker, something out of "1984". Given the AFL's desire to have larger crowds at games perhaps in future North's home games vs Cats should be held at Kardinia Park, only fair.
Or Launceston ;)

Kelly being worth more in salary makes us a better chance of retaining him IMO. The Eagles would have maxed out the cap last year signing McGovern and Gaff to massive deals and plenty of premiership players expecting a rise this year. Freo picked up Hogan, Lobb, Conca & Colyer last year. Mature players on good money. We have a lot of those to cut this year to create some space. Henderson, Scott Selwood, Zac Smith. If he is going to get an extra $200k a year to stay will he be as desperate to go home? He has a very short time frame to make hay for his family.

AFLCA votes are in:

10 - Tim Kelly (GEEL)
7 - Gary Ablett (GEEL)
7 - Ben Cunnington (NMFC)
4 - Ben Brown (NMFC)
2 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)

Leaderboard:

48 - Patrick Cripps CARL
45 - Tim Kelly GEEL
44 - Marcus Bontempelli WB
36 - Nat Fyfe FRE
35 - Gary Ablett GEEL
34 - Lachlan Neale BL
33 - Ben Cunnington NMFC
32 - Brodie Grundy COLL
32 - Scott Pendlebury COLL
30 - Luke Shuey WCE
29 - Jeremy Cameron GWS
29 - Patrick Dangerfield GEEL

AFLCA votes are in:

10 - Tim Kelly (GEEL)
7 - Gary Ablett (GEEL)
7 - Ben Cunnington (NMFC)
4 - Ben Brown (NMFC)
2 - Mitch Duncan (GEEL)

Pretty easy to figure out this week:

Tim Kelly - 2x5 votes
Gary Ablett 1x4 votes, 1x3 votes (assume C. Scott gave the 4)
Ben Cunnington 1x4 votes, 1x3 votes (B. Scott gave the 4)
Ben Brown 2x2 votes
Mitch Duncan 2x1 votes

Brown did well, considering he only played for 5 minutes.

And four minutes of that was when he was walking in off his run up to have a shot.

Surprised ppl and harsh on Blitz. At the game he won I reckon 70% of his contests. A number of those when Brown was absolutely in the box seat. They kick to him every time.

One of the goals Blitz was on the wing so nowhere near him. One the ball got shinned to him sideways and the other two Matty Scarlett woulndnt have stopped. Allowing their mids to waltz through 60 and kick 20 metre darts after rank midfield turnovers under no pressure. 5 goals looked bad but I thought he was really solid.
Blicavs is definitely good, but he is always looking for the intercept mark and because of this can be caught out on the lead. Although he couldn’t do much with those kicks to brown. Pressure up the ground wasn’t there for a few minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he controls the space so well. Blicavs had Brown covered in 1 on 1 but was exposed when he had space to lead.
Stewart bloody important.
Norf was able to create spread, like Hawks in their premiership years, except Geelong was fantastic at closing the Hawks spread, needed that on Sunday.

It's still hard to believe that Stewart was playing VFL in 2016, making the move to AFL seamlessly.

Blicavs is definitely good, but he is always looking for the intercept mark and because of this can be caught out on the lead. Although he couldn’t do much with those kicks to brown. Pressure up the ground wasn’t there for a few minutes.

I'd be interested to see the replay because I reckon that when North kicked those 3 goals in 5 minutes our centre square mids were Constable, Parfitt and Atkins (perhaps Kelly in there for one or two bounces). Dangerfield was certainly stationed at FF during this time. As soon as Danger went back into the middle we got the ascendancy back.

I'd be interested to see the replay because I reckon that when North kicked those 3 goals in 5 minutes our centre square mids were Constable, Parfitt and Atkins (perhaps Kelly in there for one or two bounces). Dangerfield was certainly stationed at FF during this time. As soon as Danger went back into the middle we got the ascendancy back.

Sorry but that's not true at all. We lost 4 consecutive centre clearances in quick time (3 were goals and then the last one Taylor took a contested mark). The centre square trios were:

Dangerfield, Kelly, Duncan
Kelly, Constable, Guthrie
Dangerfield, Kelly, Constable

So Kelly x4, Dangerfield x3, Constable x2, Duncan x2, Guthrie x1.

After we got the next goal we lost the centre clearance with Kelly, Dangerfield and Constable but O'Connor won the ball at half back and rebounded brilliantly which ended in another goal to Hawkins.

Next centre bounce we won the clearance with Dangerfield, Kelly and Guthrie.

This is one of the reasons I think Guthrie is vital to us. Guys like Kelly, Dangerfield, Selwood, etc are so attack minded that if they are all in there together and don't win the clearance there's no pressure on the opposition. Guthrie normally at least blocks an opponent which limits the damage if we lose it.

While we keep winning, keep Sav in?
If his ineptness is a factor in our next loss, then VFL .
They must be hoping and planning that he gan have as much exposure AFL senior as possible while regaining his touch.,
Sav was played into form last Season. His endurance improved, game improved + then broke his ankle. Perhaps they're hoping to do the same this Season, except, Sav seems to lack a little confidence - is it his leg? I have a feeling they will stick with him.*

*which means he'll be dropped

Sorry but that's not true at all. We lost 4 consecutive centre clearances in quick time (3 were goals and then the last one Taylor took a contested mark). The centre square trios were:

Kelly, Constable, Guthrie
Dangerfield, Kelly, Constable

So Kelly x4, Dangerfield x3, Constable x2, Duncan x2, Guthrie x1.

After we got the next goal we lost the centre clearance with Kelly, Dangerfield and Constable but O'Connor won the ball at half back and rebounded brilliantly which ended in another goal to Hawkins.

Next centre bounce we won the clearance with Dangerfield, Kelly and Guthrie.

This is one of the reasons I think Guthrie is vital to us. Guys like Kelly, Dangerfield, Selwood, etc are so attack minded that if they are all in there together and don't win the clearance there's no pressure on the opposition. Guthrie normally at least blocks an opponent which limits the damage if we lose it.

Fair enough, there was definitely a period where we had our 'b-grade' midfield in the centre square and were thoroughly outplayed for a few minutes. Perhaps in the last quarter when they cut the margin from 5 to 2 goals?

Yes, agree Guthrie is a point of difference to the midfield and sorely underappreciated.

Fair enough, there was definitely a period where we had our 'b-grade' midfield in the centre square and were thoroughly outplayed for a few minutes. Perhaps in the last quarter when they cut the margin from 5 to 2 goals?

Yes, agree Guthrie is a point of difference to the midfield and sorely underappreciated.
I seem to remember during that period that we won the initial ball, then coughed it up on the way out of the centre.
It's turnovers like that that hurt, because initially players think the ball is going our way, then they are suddenly caught running the wrong way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back