Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Cameron is specifically there to help capitalise on those periods of dominance, and we can already see how it makes life easier for Hawkins and Rohan.

I think Cameron extends the window more than changes the dynamic, but, Hawkins + Cameron for a season or three is incredibly potent. Riewoldt/Lynch, Kennedy/Darling... there aren't many clubs who can claim they have a comparable duo. IMO it's more mental than personnel. If the team is good enough to win 16/17 games a year and average 80, 90, 100 a game they shouldn't turn into a Ross Lyon side come finals.

Cats have a habit of peaking too soon in a season.

Scott needs to try and time their run differently this time around.

Nah.

2018 they won their last two H&A games by 100+ then got bounced by Melbourne in the Elimination Final. 2017 they beat 2 of the top 4 in the last 3 rounds and won 1 of 3 finals. They can hit September in good form, but they seem to change into a different mode.

Almost every year since the 2011 flag they have been within a game either way if in vs out of the half way mark, i.e. if they start 7-4 in the first 11 games then they finish between 6-5 and 8-3 in the last 11. It's only 2019 when they started 10-1 then finished 6-5 the sceond half of the season. Last year they won 7 of the last 8 then won 2 of 4 finals.

Cats have a habit of peaking too soon in a season.

Scott needs to try and time their run differently this time around.

interesting take, so 17 clubs peak too soon every year and one gets it right? So Scotty has the power to choose when to peak and he was out by by half a game last year?

I feel this is absolutely the case. Teams are priming themselves for the challenge and to prove something against the best side of the last few years.

Port Adelaide, Demons, Dogs, Cats - it feels like we've played 4 finals in those games. Even the Swans revved themselves up to put in their best performance of the year against us.

It's taking a huge toll on us, Teams are bringing 110% against us and it seems we can't bring that level every week.
I thought geelongs intensity for the first qtr was terrible. We didnt rock up to play. It was richmond who rocked up switched on.

With 3 games against the Saints, Suns and Pies most Cats fans would be expecting 3-0 before a loss after the bye

With 3 games against the Saints, Suns and Pies most Cats fans would be expecting 3-0 before a loss after the bye

5-3 atm puts us in a log jam

8-3 has us hunting top 2 (assuming Melbourne don’t s**t the bed they’d already have one of those spots almost sewn up by then).

that would be a good spot to be in even allowing for our inevitable post bye slumber

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's bizarre that people think this was a new Geelong and a different game plan. Apparently the first half of the grand final when we carved Richmond up in a similar way is too long ago for anybody to remember. The only real difference was we really cashed in on our dominance and in the period we were struggling and making mistakes Martin didn't play one of the greatest games of all time.

It's bizarre that people think this was a new Geelong and a different game plan. Apparently the first half of the grand final when we carved Richmond up in a similar way is too long ago for anybody to remember. The only real difference was we really cashed in on our dominance and in the period we were struggling and making mistakes Martin didn't play one of the greatest games of all time.
Pretty fair summation

If Geelong play that style and pull it off they bet every side in the comp. In saying that our Mids were up against it Geelongs group of Guthrie, Menegola and Duncan are criminally underrated and whilst Dusty/Bolton are dangerous a lot was left up to Edwards because Graham, Collier Dawkins, Pickett, Baker and McIntosh got thrashed around the ball/wing.

Cotchin, Prestia, Lambert is a huge hole to fill and in previous years we had the depth to cover them but with letting guys like Butler, Higgins, Lloyd , Ellis go over the past few years we don't have the depth to cover the injuries like we have in the past.

If Geelong play that style and pull it off they bet every side in the comp. In saying that our Mids were up against it Geelongs group of Guthrie, Menegola and Duncan are criminally underrated and whilst Dusty/Bolton are dangerous a lot was left up to Edwards because Graham, Collier Dawkins, Pickett, Baker and McIntosh got thrashed around the ball/wing.

Cotchin, Prestia, Lambert is a huge hole to fill and in previous years we had the depth to cover them but with letting guys like Butler, Higgins, Lloyd , Ellis go over the past few years we don't have the depth to cover the injuries like we have in the past.

I must say it seemed odd watching a team ‘bully’ Richmond.

generally when I’ve watched them struggle over the last four years it’s because opponents have turned it on for a game and really played above themselves skill wise and Richmond have had a bit of an off night. That happened on Friday as well but more noticeable was the physical gap between the two sides. It actually was the sort of performance you’d expect to see from a heavyweight putting down a potential challenger only it was the challenger putting the heavyweight down. Not sure what to make of it even now

I must say it seemed odd watching a team ‘bully’ Richmond.

generally when I’ve watched them struggle over the last four years it’s because opponents have turned it on for a game and really played above themselves skill wise and Richmond have had a bit of an off night. That happened on Friday as well but more noticeable was the physical gap between the two sides. It actually was the sort of performance you’d expect to see from a heavyweight putting down a potential challenger only it was the challenger putting the heavyweight down. Not sure what to make of it even now
[/QUOTE

Given Prestia Lambert and Cotch were out of the midfield we just got blown away and couldn’t get any pressure and Cameron Hawkins and Rohan had a field day with a supply.

Im pretty sure your mob gave us a hiding I’m similar style in 19 and we saw how that played out. Home and away wins mean nothing other than 4 points in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back