GEELONG vs COLLINGWOOD (1st PRELIMINARY FINAL)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty simple geelong are the better side, they are deserved favourites. But the rest of the season counts for bugger all once the ball is bounced. I'm not writing us off just yet, we have exceeded all my expectations so far this year and i hope that we can continue to do so
You are wrong. The rest of the season counts for everything since it was the path we took to get where we are. The teamwork, spirit and skills have all been developed over the season, it counts for everything and is the reason we will beat you on Friday.

Geelong's dominance this year is based on confidence, not ability.

They have the momentum, denting that confidence is the key to winning for the pies.
Abba Lonie?
Been diving for yourself without oxygen again?
So no ability in a team that won 9 AA selections, which is largely an individual award and not team based?
nice work tiger - suggest you run for the American presidency. Obviously you are over qualified for that post............

From our last encounter, which resulted in a 14 point win to Geelong:

Collingwood + Rusling, Buckley, Clement
Geelong - Egan.

Have I missed anyone?

I think it will be a good match, with Geelong deservedly favourites.

Collingwood + Rusling, Buckley, Clement
All three are great players but it must be said that all three need to lift from their efforts last week. If they bring the same game they will be pantsed.

Cats will win. Their only opposition left are teams on the rise who are not quite ready to go all the way. The only sides that could have challenged the Cats were full strength Swans or Eagles. The Swans because they are the toughest team to beat that I have ever seen in my lifetime. The Eagles purely because their midfield at full strength cannot be beaten, not even by the Cats. You could put Warrick Capper at Full Forward, the entire 1996 Fitroy defence and have Damian Drum coach and the Eagles midfield will still keep it close!:p

Settle back, we smashed them 106pts...... Bucks will need the Kleenex when the cats finish his career off for him on friday night!

Go Cats!!

Settle back, we smashed them 106pts...... Bucks will need the Kleenex when the cats finish his career off for him on friday night!

Go Cats!!

Actually Lingy might need the Kleenex to clean up the blood that the mongrel will probably swipe on him again.

Collingwood are a chance.

Anyone who thinks Collingwood have absolutely no chance (and Im seeing plenty state it across this site) is being stupid and is totally out of touch with the game and professional sport.

Ling,Corey,Ablett,Bartel,Scarlett,Mooney,Johnson,Milburn
The last time I went to a match that those blokes all played together was last season against Collingwood.
Fear these names.
They were about as frightening as Banana's in Pyjama's.
Fear them Collingwood fans.
I'm sure they will better than they were in that match though, but the most important thing is that I'm sure the Collingwood players don't fear any Geelong players of course, and are probably looking forward to the challenge of beating nearly half of the All-Australian team. They certainly don't frighten me because most everybody has written Collingwood off any way. If Collingwood happen to win the 'unwinnable' match, it will just be an unexpected bonus! :thumbsu:
They will be what you see and hear all night.
Yes it was a night match at the MCG when I saw those blokes play now that you mention it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats quite selective, didn't manage to wander down to the match this year, round 15?
No I didn't. I was here in America. I watched it live on telly, and I can certainly understand the reason that Mick Malthouse was so critical of Collingwood's lack of pressure. I certainly expect that to be different on Friday.

HI Guys !

I'm a new member but I've been watching the Forum for quite a while.

Here are my thoughts on Friday's Game.

1). Geelong are head and shoulders above the other sides in the league this year.

2). The top 3 teams I thought would be West Coast, Geelong and Port in no particular order (the loss of Kerr, Cousins etc was huge last week).

3). Friday's game has two teams out on the field and there are no guarantees (it could go either way in theory).

4). If Geelong play as well as they can they'll smash Collingwood.

5). The planets are aligning for Collingwood. They're on a roll, Geelong has NEVER had the wood on them, Buckley is ready to go out on a high, Len Thompson RIP, etc.

I don't know what'll happen on friday night, but sense says Geelong will win confortably, and if there is justice in this world Geelong will win and also win the flag. They ARE the best team this year.

BTW I've been to 4 losing Geelong GF's. The one that hurt the most was 1989 - Geelong was the best team that year but they came second. In my book that is as good as 10th.

The planets are aligning for Collingwood. They're on a roll, Geelong has NEVER had the wood on them, Buckley is ready to go out on a high, Len Thompson RIP
And how absolutely fitting it would be too if Collingwood could honour two of their best ever players with a win on Friday, and then possibly a premiership. Time will tell.
if there is justice in this world Geelong will win and also win the flag. They ARE the best team this year.
The best team in the home and away season deserves the McClelland Trophy, and a home state final in the first week and the double chance. Nothing more than that. The best team in the finals deserves to win the premiership, but there are two weekends left to determine which side that is.

Friday night should be an absolute cracker.... I think there will be at least 95000 people there.... I think the pies can win in a nailbiter.. Pies by 2pts.. Either way the winner of this game WILL WIN THE FLAG!!:cool::)

If you look at the matchup's and the midfield, the result is a formality:

Bartel, Ablett, Ling, Kelly, Corey, Selwood, etc, it's awesome.

Can Collingwood matchup here where the Engine room is ?

I'll never discount the "Wood's men" but the more I think of it, the more I believe Geelong will come out on top.

Go Cats !!

You're right - we surrender

How will the rain effect the game?

Rain is a great leveller. But it also means that the harder team at the ball will come out on top.

Geelong have looked super the last few weeks. Remember Laidley's comment in the media.

"It was men against boys in most of the contests".

Collingwood will give 100%

The team with the greatest spirit, talent, determinaton and hunger will win. Lets hope the Umps don't spoil the contest with a few stupid decisions !!

If you look at the matchup's and the midfield, the result is a formality: Bartel, Ablett, Ling, Kelly, Corey, Selwood, etc, it's awesome.
Nothing in footy is a formality, and there is nothing definite about footy. With the exception of Selwood, those other players were involved in the 102 point loss to Collingwood under lights at the MCG in 2006. Collingwood will be confident enough of stopping them again as they did on that night.
Can Collingwood matchup here where the Engine room is ?
See above.
I'll never discount the "Wood's men" but the more I think of it, the more I believe Geelong will come out on top.
Geelong are probably the hottest favourite in recent finals history, so that is not a surprise that you feel that way. If Collingwood win it will be one of the biggest upsets in years, but Collingwood have an edge in MCG experience under lights, and they have an edge in sudden death finals as the last time that Geelong played in such a match was in the 2005 semi final against Sydney at the SCG. Collingwood have a lot of outside motivation and are a definite chance.
Geelong have looked super the last few weeks. Remember Laidley's comment in the media.

"It was men against boys in most of the contests".
I think he was referring to that one match, not this Friday's match. Different day, different teams, and it's still to be determined whether the week off has slowed Geelong's momentum.
Collingwood will give 100%
If you're right, then Collingwood will win. It's impossible for two teams to give 100%, because if one of them does, it's because they've shut down the opposition enough to win the match.
The team with the greatest spirit, talent, determinaton and hunger will win.
That's your opinion, while I can show many occurrences in the past that a team has even won a premiership without all four of those attributes. West Coast were probably more talented than Sydney in 2005, but Sydney were the better team and they won the premiership.

Friday night should be an absolute cracker.... I think there will be at least 95000 people there.... I think the pies can win in a nailbiter.. Pies by 2pts.. Either way the winner of this game WILL WIN THE FLAG!!:cool::)

I hope collingwood wins but if that game is that close i will die of stress.

Anyway colingwood by 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back