News Geelong's position in Essendon investigation and ACC report

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with what you said earlier on that, I don't think the club would want to take any chance of giving this any more oxygen.
I think it's really hard for the average supporter to sit back and just watch the Hun's smear campaign- which is exactly what it is- and it's totally understandable that they'd want to defend their club to the best of their ability. The club, however, can see that it just plays into the Hun's hands by keeping this story alive - and have chosen not to play their game.

Do you think there will be any subtle payback by the club, Fred? Such as leaking breaking news to the Hun's rivals or something like that?

Robbo on SEN today responding to Moon's:
We reported the facts about Geelong and Dank

The chief football writer for the Herald Sun strongly refuted claims that his newspaper was out of line in their reporting of Geelong’s previous link to disgraced sport scientist Stephen Dank.

A number of Cats people were angry that the headline ‘Cats buy Dank drugs’ was used to “sell the story”.

Former player Cameron Mooney demanded an apology from the publication claiming that the story was poor journalism and inferred the Cats had cheated.

“Well Essendon got hold of the transcripts from the drug tribunal, and in it there was some fresh news,” explained Robinson.

“Which was an email from Nail Balme mentioning Dank and creditors in it.

“On the Monday when that story came out Geelong said there was nothing to see here, but by five o’clock that afternoon they’re putting out a press release saying we did buy drugs from a Dank company.

“I don’t think the paper accused Geelong of buying performance-enhancing drugs.

“I don’t know if inflammatory is the word (to use to describe the headline), it’s very emotive.”
http://www.sen.com.au/news/08-15/robbo-talks-bomber-and-cats-headlines

Robbo still hasn't checked to find the difference between a supplement and a drug also confirmed who leaked the info the ran with on Monday
So Slobbo just admitted that Essendon leaked the news.... the day before Essendons Goddard called people responsible for leaks cowards... lol

You can tell how the story has zero legs beyond the initial "SHOCK" headline by watching how the Sun have had nothing to back it up with over the past few days. I think the Club played this well as the issue is pretty much already dead and the only commentary it's receiving in the footy media is from people telling Robbo how irresponsible it was.

Still amazing to hear Mark Robinson's attempted justifications for the headline. He sounds like a scolded child and when asked simple questions like "Is it a drug?" or "Did Dank actually work at Geelong?" all he can say is "I don't know..."

His sole "point" seems to be that Geelong didn't go running to the Herald Sun to tell them they'd once sourced a supplement from a Dank company. His argument is literally: "Why didn't they come to us and tell us they'd bought a legal supplement from a company connected to Dank?!" As if it is the responsibility of the GFC to do reporters' digging for them and offer them a story when there's none there. It's petulant and shows the sense of entitlement the footy media has these days. Everybody knows the guy is a hack but he's really shown himself up this week. I reckon a good deal of people, not just from Geelong, will have lost (whatever little) respect for him over the past few days.

Watching Moons on 360 now dazbroncos. He is genuinely pissed.
Moons: "Your paper owes my football club an apology"." To throw needles, Dank and Drugs on the front page with my football club is a load of s**t". "Players are furious" etc
Robbo: "I got that feeling."
Barry Hall: "Are you going to Apologise on behalf of the paper"
Robbo: "No".

This is going to have major ramifications for this paper I think... AFLPA should instruct it's players not to talk to the HUN.

Last edited:
So Slobbo just admitted that Essendon leaked the news.... the day before Essendons Goddard called people responsible for leaks cowards... lol

I think all Geelong people should be directing their frustration towards Essendon.

I am currently supporting 2 teams , Geelong and WADA .

I think we need to be a little careful here Drake. I am loathe to call the Essendon players "cheats". A cheat knowingly breaks the rules for his/her own advantage. I don't believe the Essendon players believed they were being injected with PE drugs as the club, through their performance dept, told them it was a supplements regime.

The fact that the players now don't know what the hell they were injected with must be very distressing, and confidence in the Essendon FC management and in particular their coach, who oversaw the program, must be very low indeed.

We should remember that the players are the victims in this fiasco…its the Essendon FC that's culpable IMO.
This comment can not be understated as far as I'm concerned. The players are legitimately the victims in this. It is the club that is culpable IMO. The EFC is an absolute disgrace but the players simply are not to blame in this case.

Pretty simple guys, stop giving it oxygen.
No matter our own thoughts this IS what media is all about, manipulating stories to create wowser headlines to sell papers and mouse clicks.
Right now all of us are doing EXACTLY what those scum want us to do and even robbo himself said how much impact the headlines had on newspaper sales.
Stop giving it any respect and let it die like it should.
This is exactly why I haven't commented in this thread until recently. The more oxygen that we give it, the more they will keep writing such crap.

PEOPLE NEED TO REALISE THAT WE HAVE THE POWER.

If we want change then we need to stop reading the H-Sun. They are garbage but the worst thing about it is that they know that they are garbage but are not going to stop unless people stop reading the crap that they decide to print!

I promise everybody... If you stop reading the H-Sun like I have you are missing out on nothing... Nothing at all. Just give it a go!

They are absolute trash and you will enjoy being a football follower more if you give them the flick! Seriously, just try it for a week or so and see what you think...

Sorry to CS for the rant. It clearly wasn't directed at you. :)

This is exactly why I haven't commented in this thread until recently. The more oxygen that we give it, the more they will keep writing such crap.

If we want change then we need to stop reading the H-Sun. They are garbage but the worst thing about it is that they know that they are garbage but are not going to stop unless people stop reading the crap that they decide to print!

I promise everybody... If you stop reading the H-Sun like I have you are missing out on nothing... Nothing at all. Just give it a go!

They are absolute trash and you will enjoy being a football follower more if you give them the flick! Seriously, just try it for a week or so and see what you think...

:thumbsu:
Good rant, tho' ;)

Rant away mate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I ask is for people to really think about when they last read a H-Sun article that made them actually think or actually challenged them? All they ever write is sensationalist garbage and until we stop reading it they'll continue to keep writing such dribble.

WE HAVE THE POWER!

If we stop reading their dribble then they will stop writing it. It's actually that simple!

People can get their information about football without reading the H-Sun. They're not the only source to derive our information from and I can promise people that they're not the most accurate source at getting their information either. **** them off! Not only will you be doing football a favour but you will be doing yourself a favour.

Just give it a try and see what you think! :)

sauron256
Awesome again thx!

There is a look that Moons shot Robbo with that said it all.

Moondog was pissed - and that is not a stare you want to be on the end of. :eek:

Go Catters

sauron256
Awesome again thx!

There is a look that Moons shot Robbo with that said it all.

Moondog was pissed - and that is not a stare you want to be on the end of. :eek:

Go Catters
Yeah, he was all ice and evil glare, wasn't he? In direct contrast to the heat of Bomber.

Notice Robbo couldn't look him in the eye when he first asked him how he was feeling? He suddenly found his pen extremely interesting.

I didn't like it when he (? Think it was Robbo) drew parallels with Mooney being called a drug cheat for the previous 3 days vs Bombers boys being called cheats for the past 3 years. One was innocent, the others had knowingly participated in a hush hush injection program.

Yeah, he was all ice and evil glare, wasn't he? In direct contrast to the heat of Bomber.

Notice Robbo couldn't look him in the eye when he first asked him how he was feeling? He suddenly found his pen extremely interesting.

I didn't like it when he (? Think it was Robbo) drew parallels with Mooney being called a drug cheat for the previous 3 days vs Bombers boys being called cheats for the past 3 years. One was innocent, the others had knowingly participated in a hush hush injection program.

Definitely the most annoying and despair-inducing element of Robinson's response.
As someone here pointed out earlier on, it is a classic case of the logical fallacy of false equivalence.

This comment can not be understated as far as I'm concerned. The players are legitimately the victims in this. It is the club that is culpable IMO. The EFC is an absolute disgrace but the players simply are not to blame in this case.

I would say, however, that the players are guilty of being incredibly naive in meekly subjecting themselves to the programme without strenuously seeking information and clarification about what it is they were being injected with, or questioning its legality and validity.

Would explain why Robbo was so shocked when Goddard went as hard as he did

Would explain why Robbo was so shocked when Goddard went as hard as he did

In the SEN segment where Ox made a fool of Robbo (shooting fish in a barrel, I know) the question was put forward regarding whether Essendon were leaking and how that would make Goddard's comments look. Robbo, ever the coward, denied he knew where any leaks came from. Now I understand that a "journalist" has to protect their sources but for him to say "I don't know..." is hilariously insulting. This week Robbo, Chief Football Writer of the Herald Sun, has seemingly argued that he has no responsibility over what is published in that department and is unaware of where information comes from. If I were his editor I'd call him in for a meeting and ask why I shouldn't replace him with someone who's actually willing to take on the responsibilities of Chief Football Writer. That is, unless he's lying...

In the SEN segment where Ox made a fool of Robbo (shooting fish in a barrel, I know) the question was put forward regarding whether Essendon were leaking and how that would make Goddard's comments look. Robbo, ever the coward, denied he knew where any leaks came from. Now I understand that a "journalist" has to protect their sources but for him to say "I don't know..." is hilariously insulting. This week Robbo, Chief Football Writer of the Herald Sun, has seemingly argued that he has no responsibility over what is published in that department and is unaware of where information comes from. If I were his editor I'd call him in for a meeting and ask why I shouldn't replace him with someone who's actually willing to take on the responsibilities of Chief Football Writer. That is, unless he's lying...

Bingo!

I don't understand how anyone can think anything other than Essendon have been leaking to the HUN, it explains the direction Slobbo and co have taken and why it went tit for tat with the Age.

Hird must think we are all morons when he sooks about needing to stop the leaks since blind freddie can see the Bombers are responsible for half of them

Robbo on SEN today responding to Moon's:
We reported the facts about Geelong and Dank

The chief football writer for the Herald Sun strongly refuted claims that his newspaper was out of line in their reporting of Geelong’s previous link to disgraced sport scientist Stephen Dank.

A number of Cats people were angry that the headline ‘Cats buy Dank drugs’ was used to “sell the story”.

Former player Cameron Mooney demanded an apology from the publication claiming that the story was poor journalism and inferred the Cats had cheated.

“Well Essendon got hold of the transcripts from the drug tribunal, and in it there was some fresh news,” explained Robinson.

“Which was an email from Nail Balme mentioning Dank and creditors in it.

“On the Monday when that story came out Geelong said there was nothing to see here, but by five o’clock that afternoon they’re putting out a press release saying we did buy drugs from a Dank company.

“I don’t think the paper accused Geelong of buying performance-enhancing drugs.

“I don’t know if inflammatory is the word (to use to describe the headline), it’s very emotive.”
http://www.sen.com.au/news/08-15/robbo-talks-bomber-and-cats-headlines

Robbo still hasn't checked to find the difference between a supplement and a drug also confirmed who leaked the info the ran with on Monday
thejester

I don't understand how anyone can think anything other than Essendon have been leaking to the HUN, it explains the direction Slobbo and co have taken and why it went tit for tat with the Age.

Hird must think we are all morons when he sooks about needing to stop the leaks since blind freddie can see the Bombers are responsible for half of them

Wonder how Chappy feels if he suspects the Bombers are party to leaking this week's "news"...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back