No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The docu-movie That Sugar Film demonstrates this ideal pretty well.
Haven't watched it but I am not a fan of the message

He blames everything on sugar, added sugar and refined carbs/processed foods are the bigger issue.

Any drink out of a bottle is generally s**t. Plain milk I'm fine with but Iced tea, juice, flavoured milk, vitamin water, bottled water where tap water is fine, its all s**t.

They take fibre out of food because it increases shelf life, it also means you can eat more before you are full, low fat does the same in many respects

Add to that some vitamins are fat soluble and you're losing access to nutrients.

We all know what we should be doing. Shopping the outside of the supermarket and skipping the isles.

Eating more veggies and less of most other things, drinking water etc.

Easier said than done, the obsession with sugar is like the previous obsession with fats.

He blames everything on sugar, added sugar and refined carbs/processed foods are the bigger issue.

Any drink out of a bottle is generally s**t. Plain milk I'm fine with but Iced tea, juice, flavoured milk, vitamin water, bottled water where tap water is fine, its all s**t.

They take fibre out of food because it increases shelf life, it also means you can eat more before you are full, low fat does the same in many respects

Add to that some vitamins are fat soluble and you're losing access to nutrients.

We all know what we should be doing. Shopping the outside of the supermarket and skipping the isles.

Easier said than done, the obsession with sugar is like the previous obsession with fats.
Maybe watch it. Or don't.

I will get around to it.
I found it pretty interesting/entertaining. Of course, it has an agenda, but worth a start at least.

Inside Job, narrated by Matt Damon (from memory), was pretty cool.

I found it pretty interesting/entertaining. Of course, it has an agenda, but worth a start at least.

It's very much in the vein of Super size me in that he actually makes a massive change to his diet above and beyond what most people would actually do.

I've read a bit about what his diet for the 3 years prior was and how he had almost double the sugar intake of the average Aussie during filming.

He went from LCHF to the movie diet, you're going to see pretty significant changes when you do that. It's a good way to speed up the process that happens over time but saying sugar is the problem is oversimplification

That's not to say there isn't anything relevant in the film, but I just see sugar being singled out like fat used to be. It doesn't address the wider issue of our diets and doesn't properly educate people on nutrition.

Raising awareness is good but if it comes with misinformation not so much.

f414f22c2ce11d418cf164c6e3302138d096a28ef1870ac61edea04ef45d189c.jpg

I found it on Vimeo, just over half way through now.

Agree with what you're saying except the message is solid on sugars. It's just not the full message without mentioning that carbs become glucose.
Also they don't mention that glucose is a redundant fuel source and is not required for the human body to function at an elite level.
Glucose is the equivalent to burning coal.

Did lose credibility imo when he cited David Wolfe who is a certified loon.

I'm at 1h 15m now and they've just raised the tobacco tactics I mentioned a few posts back.

Other good docos on YouTube include;
Carb loaded: a culture dying to eat.
The magic pill.
Sugar: the bitter truth. A recorded lecture by Dr Robert Lustig.

At least all cite the downturn of nutrition at the completely fraudulent publication of Ansel Keys 7 country study which demonised fat as the causation of cardio vascular disease. This spawned our high carb low fat diet as we know it and he is responsible for all diseases spawned from metabolic syndrome that are in epidemic proportions throughout Western society today.

Just finished watching it cheers Brant.
Whilst not the full picture and lacking in hard facts and figures, it presented a decent message laced with humour which should make it reasonably digestible for my primary school aged kids to consume.
The 100 minute duration might mean that I'll have to attach a tenner to the completion to help them though to the finish line!

Big sugar was using big tobacco's dirty tactics back when big tobacco was still wearing nappies.

The book Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss is a fascinating read, taking a multi-faceted research and historical based look at the processed food industry (US centric). He interviews many of the historical big players (ex VPs, head food scientists, etc.) of the time. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

It's almost like unrestricted capitalism and nutrition are mutually exclusive. Many lessons I sadly did not learn early enough in life.

I found it on Vimeo, just over half way through now.

Agree with what you're saying except the message is solid on sugars. It's just not the full message without mentioning that carbs become glucose.
Also they don't mention that glucose is a redundant fuel source and is not required for the human body to function at an elite level.
Glucose is the equivalent to burning coal.

Did lose credibility imo when he cited David Wolfe who is a certified loon.

I'm at 1h 15m now and they've just raised the tobacco tactics I mentioned a few posts back.

Other good docos on YouTube include;
Carb loaded: a culture dying to eat.
The magic pill.
Sugar: the bitter truth. A recorded lecture by Dr Robert Lustig.

At least all cite the downturn of nutrition at the completely fraudulent publication of Ansel Keys 7 country study which demonised fat as the causation of cardio vascular disease. This spawned our high carb low fat diet as we know it and he is responsible for all diseases spawned from metabolic syndrome that are in epidemic proportions throughout Western society today.
You lost me at Pete Evans and good doco

The book Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss is a fascinating read, taking a multi-faceted research and historical based look at the processed food industry (US centric). He interviews many of the historical big players (ex VPs, head food scientists, etc.) of the time. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

It's almost like unrestricted capitalism and nutrition are mutually exclusive. Many lessons I sadly did not learn early enough in life.
It's weird isn't it?

Why is it that everything worth having is so hard to get.

WHY?

This is why I don't believe in god.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're playing the man.
Absolutely, he's in the same boat as David Wolfe

Not everything Pete says is wrong but he's a dangerous *er and a snake oil salesman as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah a movie that tells you that you can cure cancer by starving it of sugar should not be in the documentary section

Well the economics of food is a facinating topic...but it basically boils down to shelf life. Shelf life up = profits up. Organic nutrients tend to break down quickly so are not a priority. Taste is also important which is why sugar, salt and fat feature strongly in fast food ;)

Absolutely, he's in the same boat as David Wolfe

Not everything Pete says is wrong but he's a dangerous ****** and a snake oil salesman as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah a movie that tells you that you can cure cancer by starving it of sugar should not be in the documentary section
Fair enough.
Maybe you missed the disclaimer at the start?

Anyways.
Give The Widowmaker documentary a look into.
The tldr is about the US medical board choosing the profits of treating heart attacks above a very cheap preventative detection method. Nevermind the death toll in the millions.

Well the economics of food is a facinating topic...but it basically boils down to shelf life. Shelf life up = profits up. Organic nutrients tend to break down quickly so are not a priority. Taste is also important which is why sugar, salt and fat feature strongly in fast food ;)
Hardened industrial oils equals shelf life. Hello trans fats.

Fair enough.
Maybe you missed the disclaimer at the start?

Anyways.
Give The Widowmaker documentary a look into.
The tldr is about the US medical board choosing the profits of treating heart attacks above a very cheap preventative detection method. Nevermind the death toll in the millions.
Ah yes the coronary calcium scan, there has been a lot about that since the movie was made.

Again a lot of truth but mixed in with some nice dramatization and with an end result in mind.

Michael Moore popularised the current form of doco, it's very persuasive and easy to believe what you are watching.

Pumping iron is the classic doco with drama though.

I don't disagree that big pharma and greed are an issue, we've had plenty of examples of things come to light and yeah it's great that Evans put a little talk to your doctor disclaimer before making a movie about how doctors are wrong.

My issue with movies like the magic pill is they are breeding a distrust of science and medicine, they aren't encouraging critical thinking, and often are part of a marketing campaign to sell you a product

Classic advertising rules, create fear and need, offer a solution to the fear you created.

Like I said not everything they say is wrong. You can live on little or no carbs, you are better off not eating processed and packaged foods.

The food industry is not your friend, but that doesn't mean they are either.

Now Pete may 100% believe everything he tells us and tries to sell us and may believe he is doing the best thing for everyone by doing it.

But believing something doesn't make it true. Cuts both ways I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back