No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get out the cheque book.

Interesting comments on the Geelong board, Brian Cook is also leaving at years end.
Huge administrative hole to be filled.

Like Hawthorn (who I think have finally settled their back office) Geelong will have to focus
on finding off field leadership, surely like free agents they just don't fall in their lap?

We just shipped off a very expensive footy boss in Wright (make no mistake he was encouraged to explore options) because the value offered vs the impact on the soft footy department cap just isn't worth it. We won't be reaching out to Wells.

He has been at the Cats since 1986, and they have only won 3 Flags in that time

Hawks have won 8 Flags in the same amount of time

No thanks:p
Yep and he has a shocking record with first round draft picks.
Without father sons and players wanting to return home to live in Geelong he would have lost his job years ago.

Not enough to say he is the best. Extraordinary luck with fs and a terrible record with first rounders. Take Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins out and their premiership drought would still be going.
For every FS, he's nailed later picks like Corey, Chapman, Enright, Ling, Johnson, Mackie.

Plus guys like Selwood, Tim Kelly, Stewart, Taylor, Lonergan.

I could go on for days.

He's a gun. I hate Geelong, but have all time respect for this bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For every FS, he's nailed later picks like Corey, Chapman, Enright, Ling, Johnson, Mackie.

I could go on for days.

Yes he appears very good at the later picks, but not the best and very over rated in the media along with Sydney’s recruiter who simply has to match academy bids.

I could go on for days.

What has he done since 2011? Other than 2016 their drafting has been pretty ordinary

1618470026935.png

Last edited:
A list manager is more than just a recruiter. It's the person that maintains a list. In fact it is the recruitment manager's main job to generate the draft order. The list manager is maintaining the list profile, negotiating contracts, trading players and draft picks. You could always end up with Ned Guy.

What has he done since 2011? Other than 2016 their drafting has been pretty ordinary

View attachment 1103158
Even picking Kelly as a 2nd rounder was genius. Got 2 x 1sts back for him.
Having said that, I reckon they overpaid for Cameron, as good as he is.

He's done bloody well to keep them contending, but no silverware hurts.

Also, in the years you mentioned above, there was no mention of Dangerfield as a FA. He's single-handedly kept them in contention. As a List Manager, Wells played a massive part in that result.

Thursday night footy channel 7 commentary includes Joel Selwood and Jobe Watson 🤮

They can't keep these two together. That bit of banter just before between "head trauma" Jobe and "silly voice" Joel was practically satire. If Santo Cilauro and Tom Gleisner did a sports based sketch using those voices we'd think it was too over the top. Yet here we are 🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back