No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North are piss weak if they don't nominate Daicos at first pick. The Pies are 100% committed to taking him so there's no chance in them declining to match.

Nah. They call out HF and the headlines are all about him being Norf's first pick and what a star he will be, etc,etc and that they got their man, blah, blah, blah.

They call out Daicos and it's all about the Pies matching and then it makes it look like HF wasn't their preferred option.

Norf pick HF at one and let the Crows pick Daics at 2. Doubt the draft point difference means that much for the Pies, nor the salary requirements for picking HF at 1 instead of 2, to Norf's cap.

Just announced on SEN - Jon Ralph 'breaking news'; some speculative trade, that was simply a media invention/creation of rumour in the first instance, is now not happening..!
Yet bizarrely, he and related scribes still complain and/or wonder why their profession has such a poor reputation - what a bunch of clowns, ha ha ha...

Media rumours/whispers/speculation/fabrication/misinformation - from - TV and radio shows/newspapers/online articles/podcasts/social media which is related to the current trade period = 3,564
Actual trades of players undertaken and confirmed = 8

Last edited:
This was from AFL.com last month. Some good names, but nobody who springs to mind as likely to leave…
Adelaide – N/A
Brisbane – Darcy Gardiner, Daniel McStay, Ryan Lester
Carlton – Liam Jones
Collingwood – Jordan De Goey, Jamie Elliott, Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, Steele Sidebottom
Essendon – Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Kyle Langford
Fremantle – Alex Pearce
Geelong – Tom Hawkins, Luke Dahlhaus
Gold Coast – Touk Miller
Greater Western Sydney – Callan Ward
Hawthorn – Jack Gunston, James Sicily, Liam Shiels
Melbourne – Angus Brayshaw, Christian Petracca, Tom McDonald
North Melbourne – Ben Cunnington, Todd Goldstein
Port Adelaide – Karl Amon, Travis Boak
Richmond – Jayden Short, Kane Lambert, Trent Cotchin
St Kilda – Daniel McKenzie
Sydney – Isaac Heeney, Jake Lloyd
West Coast – Luke Shuey, Nic Naitanui, Tom Barrass, Jackson Nelson
Western Bulldogs – Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Toby McLean
Alex Pearce is the obvious one for us to look at, I think. DeGoey too.

North are piss weak if they don't nominate Daicos at first pick. The Pies are 100% committed to taking him so there's no chance in them declining to match.

The only benefit to Norf doing this would be to remove the pressure and future scrutiny of HF being the No. 1 pick.

Amon would be good, but we've really missed the boat there when we could've got him as steak knives in the Wingard deal.

Now one of the best wingers in the comp.
Not sure I see the problem. If he agrees to come to us as a FA next year then we get to use the steak knives on someone else.

14 for Gunston + 21/24 seems like one of the most obvious trades of all time, obviously without understanding the extent of Jacks back troubles and his willingness to relocate.
See I don't think we should be giving up a player and a pick. One for one at minimum or a player for 2 picks. Giving away multiple picks has cost us the opportunity to find players at the draft and is a reason our list is where it is at.

Not sure I see the problem. If he agrees to come to us as a FA next year then we get to use the steak knives on someone else.

But he will cost us a lot more now than he would have previously.

But he will cost us a lot more now than he would have previously.
If you're talking salary then you're wrong. Let's say we picked him up 2 years ago on a 2 year contract and he performed the same for us as he did for Port then he would be demanding a similar salary increase from us in his new contract.

If you're talking draft picks the you're wrong as he's a FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuts how some teams that weren't good enough over the past few seasons are just sitting on their hands this offseason

Lions and Port in particular aren't going to get any closer by doing nothing - gotta be proactive and look for a KPF in Port's case and another 40 goal a year forward in Brissie's case

This is what separates clubs from others.

Some clubs are ruthless in their pursuit of excellence and success, and some are not.

Doing nothing is safe, and weak.

Reports in The Age the Dawson deal is done. Future 1st tied to Melbourne

This is the stuff that confuses me - If Dawson = late 1st, then Howe = late 2nd?

For mine Howe is only marginally behind Dawson in actual performances, and one year older - Howe doesn't generate interest for even a 3rd round pick, whilst Dawson goes for a 1st?

I don't see Dawson becoming a star of competition = draft picks are underrated.
I see Howe as a better option than any 40+ pick = draft picks are overrated.

I understand the media bias and general public following what they are told - but clubs would be smarter than that - surely?

Why would you want to deprive the player you will get, out of $10K and instead gift it to a player who will end up at another club. Leave it to GWS to select Daicos. That would be a great use of Collingwood's future pick from 2020, being used to make Collingwood pay for Daicos.

This is the stuff that confuses me - If Dawson = late 1st, then Howe = late 2nd?

For mine Howe is only marginally behind Dawson in actual performances, and one year older - Howe doesn't generate interest for even a 3rd round pick, whilst Dawson goes for a 1st?

I don't see Dawson becoming a star of competition = draft picks are underrated.
I see Howe as a better option than any 40+ pick = draft picks are overrated.

I understand the media bias and general public following what they are told - but clubs would be smarter than that - surely?
You're comparing a player who struggles to break into a bottom four side, and a player that finished 3rd in a top 6 team? Dawson is a significatnly better player than Howe, and rightfully deserves a first-round pick (more if he was contracted). We would be lucky to recieve a third round pick for Howe.

You're comparing a player who struggles to break into a bottom four side, and a player that finished 3rd in a top 6 team? Dawson is a significatnly better player than Howe, and rightfully deserves a first-round pick (more if he was contracted). We would be lucky to recieve a third round pick for Howe.
1. We didn't finish bottom 4.
2. He played 20 games. That's an aweful lot for someone struggling to break into the side.
3. If you compare their seasons, it's fairly similar so I fail to see how Dawson is significantly better.

Didn't really struggle to break in. Howe played one VFL game for something like 38 touches and 2 goals, for the entire time he was cherry ripe to play he was in the senior side.

Dawson had a better year but you don't really need to make things up to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back