No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So happy that so many players, including some of our own are using their platform to call for change

And you can pledge your support for the campaign here

waits for each player to be attacked simplistically by the ‘usual suspects’

The swans tried to recruit Howe so I’m guessing they do think he would play in their best 22 😂
That doesn't suggest at all he would be in their best 22. Anyway, if the Swans did secure him, they wouldn't have paid more than a third rounder, probably a fourth rounder. That would be indicative of his value. Dawson was rightfully a first rounder.

I don't understand how you could think one of the bottom players in our team could snag a spot in the Swans side.

That doesn't suggest at all he would be in their best 22. Anyway, if the Swans did secure him, they wouldn't have paid more than a third rounder, probably a fourth rounder. That would be indicative of his value. Dawson was rightfully a first rounder.

I don't understand how you could think one of the bottom players in our team could snag a spot in the Swans side.

i recall josh Kennedy and Benny mcglynn dos exactly that

i recall josh Kennedy and Benny mcglynn dos exactly that
When we were one of the best sides in the league? Yeah, good players do tend to struggle to be a part of the best 22 in those scenarios. When we are a poor-to-average side, players that are not automatic 22 selections in these teams are probably going to struggle to be a valued player in a finals team.

Very few posters have Howe in their best 22 in the Round 1 2022 thread, so I am not sure why there's much argument that Dawson and Howe are in the same ballpark.

When we were one of the best sides in the league? Yeah, good players do tend to struggle to be a part of the best 22 in those scenarios. When we are a poor-to-average side, players that are not automatic 22 selections in these teams are probably going to struggle to be a valued player in a finals team.

Very few posters have Howe in their best 22 in the Round 1 2022 thread, so I am not sure why there's much argument that Dawson and Howe are in the same ballpark.

‘when players are traded in, they usually get every chance to be best 22

I wonder if the players will boycott night games until the power for lighting is from renewable sources?

I wonder if ‘opponents’ of environmental concerns will ever argue policy or continue the simplistic ‘play the man’?

We didn’t play finals the year we traded Kennedy and Mcglynn. Both were fringe players, especially Kennedy. Both were best 22 at Sydney.

There is simply no reason to talk down Howe in relation to Dawson. I’m not suggesting they have the same value in an open market but that isn’t necessarily current performance related. Lots of factors, none of which require you to suggest Howe isn’t a valuable player for us and couldn’t have been for Sydney.

So happy that so many players, including some of our own are using their platform to call for change

And you can pledge your support for the campaign here

I'd prefer that a majority of climate scientists was enough but alas not, so if unrelated platforms like celebrities and sports stars get us over the line then fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder whether you would have said the same thing right after we smashed them at the SCG this year.

$tains won't win anywhere near the games they won this year next and may or may not play finals.

I wonder whether you would have said the same thing right after we smashed them at the SCG this year.

$tains won't win anywhere near the games they won this year next and may or may not play finals.

wouldn't want to be the swans right now. Middle of the ladder team with a middle of the ladder list and diminished academy lifeline to change that.

Yeah, one game doesn't mean all that much. We also drew with Melbourne, but no one could reasonably suggest that we are equal to the Demons. A great game by us against Sydney, but over the course of the season the Swans played a much better brand of football. As much as I dislike that club, I would be much more optimistic about their future than ours.

Also, ow do you know they won't win as many games? There is nothing to suggest that. Honestly, with the load of young talent in that squad (does help that they have an Academy but it is what it is), they will be more likely to improve than anything. Gulden, Mills, Campbell, Warner, McDonald, Stephens, Rowbottom, Florent, Wicks... it is very enviable.

I think posters are kidding themselves if they believe Howe would be one of the last selected

one of those players that you don’t realise the work they do until they aren’t out there doing it.

We didn’t play finals the year we traded Kennedy and Mcglynn. Both were fringe players, especially Kennedy. Both were best 22 at Sydney.

There is simply no reason to talk down Howe in relation to Dawson. I’m not suggesting they have the same value in an open market but that isn’t necessarily current performance related. Lots of factors, none of which require you to suggest Howe isn’t a valuable player for us and couldn’t have been for Sydney.
Yeah apologies, you are right that we offloaded Kennedy after a year of not playing finals. But we also won a premiership the year before, so definitely in a better position than we are now. Kennedy had to break into a strong core of midfielders (one of the best midfields of all time), so I think he saw more immediate chances elsewhere. Obviously wished we kept him on, but things happen.

There is absolutely reason to talk down Howe in relation to Dawson. Dawson is one of the best kicks in the league, and a strong one-on-one defender and/or intercept marker. He finished third in their B&F! We are comparing this to Daniel Howe, a perpetual whipping boy on this board that has never cemented his spot in the best 22, nor shown any great ability over an extended period of time. He is a hard worker, but hasn't got any elite attributes. A dime a dozen kind of guy. Again, few here suggest he should even be in our best 22.

I am no Daniel Howe hater. In fact, I always thought he did well when given his chance. However, I can recognise that Howe does not have the ability to elevate his game to the same level as Dawson.

I think posters are kidding themselves if they believe Howe would be one of the last selected

one of those players that you don’t realise the work they do until they aren’t out there doing it.
I like him, and I think his hard running is underrated. But let's be real, as a half-back/midfielder, we would be looking to play Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Frost, Bramble, Shiels, Phillips, Day, Jiath, Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily, Worpel and Wingard in front of him. He is more likely to be fighting for a spot with the likes of Newcombe and Downie.

Last edited:
Yeah apologies, you are right that we offloaded Kennedy after a year of not playing finals. But we also won a premiership the year before, so definitely in a better position than we are now. Kennedy had to break into a strong core of midfielders (one of the best midfields of all time), so I think he saw more immediate chances elsewhere. Obviously wished we kept him on, but things happen.

There is absolutely reason to talk down Howe in relation to Dawson. Dawson is one of the best kicks in the league, and a strong one-on-one defender and/or intercept marker. He finished third in their B&F! We are comparing this to Daniel Howe, a perpetual whipping boy on this board that has never cemented his spot in the best 22, nor shown any great ability over an extended period of time. He is a hard worker, but hasn't got any elite attributes. A dime a dozen kind of guy. Again, few here suggest he should even be in our best 22.

I am no Daniel Howe hater. In fact, I always thought he did well when given his chance. However, I can recognise that Howe does not have the ability to elevate his game to the same level as Dawson.
You still maintaining Howe wouldn’t be in their best 22? Because that is what I pulled you up on. It is needlessly talking down Howe to try and firm up what you are saying.

You still maintaining Howe wouldn’t be in their best 22? Because that is what I pulled you up on. It is needlessly talking down Howe to try and firm up what you are saying.
He played a lot of AFL footy last year, but do you genuinely believe Howe is in the best 22 with the return of Day, Jiath and Sicily back from injury? Also, I don't believe Howe is best 22 and I believe he isn't all things being equal. But whether Howe squeezes into the 22 or not, Dawson is a far superior player.

If the tables were turned, and Howe was a Swans player and Dawson was a Hawks player, I really can't see this comparison being aired without this board going to town on even the suggestion.

This is the problem. A favourite player makes a mistake and it is ok. Dan makes a mistake and the knives are out.
Yes.
He's going to be lonely as he's the last one left of our 'whipping boys'. I wonder which of the new lads will rise to the occasion and become the next whipping boy to entertain the fans. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

7th in the B&F says the experts think he had a far better year than most BF posters.

But what would they know... :)

Yes.
He's going to be lonely as he's the last one left of our 'whipping boys'. I wonder which of the new lads will rise to the occasion and become the next whipping boy to entertain the fans. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

He's not alone, he's got Hartigan for companionship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back