No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Really need to look at Maynard's entire action given Brayshaw's proximity and motion (running forward in Maynard's direction). A question of whether his action was a realistic attempt in those circumstances. I would argue that it was not and that his action was both unrealistic and reckless. Add to this the Maynard contact and you would think he gets 2 - 3 weeks minimum. The AFL cannot possibly let this slide given the concussion to Brayshaw and its so-called policing of such on-field problems resulting in serious injuries. I also think people need to come to terms with the fact that the game is not what it used to be, and players are well aware of that.

Intention is irrelvant 🤷‍♂️

His responsibility is to mitigate the impact. He chose the most impactful action given he was in the air. That is why he may get suspended.

He didn’t choose anything. Stop thinking people have the ability to form rational thought in a fraction of a second.

The passage of him trying to spoil and then colliding with Brayshaw goes for about 2 seconds - that people are expecting Maynard to have realised he didn’t get the spoil, notice Brayshaw would likely run into him and then correct himself and avoid Brayshaw entirely in this short space of time is genuinely baffling.

The way some want the game adjudicated we may as well turn it into AFL 9s and just erase all contact entirely.

Really need to look at Maynard's entire action given Brayshaw's proximity and motion (running forward in Maynard's direction). A question of whether his action was a realistic attempt in those circumstances. I would argue that it was not and that his action was both unrealistic and reckless. Add to this the Maynard contact and you would think he gets 2 - 3 weeks minimum. The AFL cannot possibly let this slide given the concussion to Brayshaw and its so-called policing of such on-field problems resulting in serious injuries. I also think people need to come to terms with the fact that the game is not what it used to be, and players are well aware of that.
The players are also well aware that the AFL lets players off for on-field problems resulting in serious injuries. See McCartin and Rampe.

I will say one thing on all this, been much more fun arguing in here than working this avo ;)

I am on leave and the weather is it's negative temperatures and torrential rain outside - bored and stir crazy!

Lets propose the opposite happens, Maynard leaps to smother, Brayshaw gets the kick away and Maynard opens himself up to minimise contact as apparently he should have. Brayshaw sees late that Maynard is falling in an open position and he braces for impact and they clash head/face and Maynard is concussed. Do we rub Brayshaw out?

Or is kicking the ball more of a football action than trying to smother?

do the right thing burn GIF

Sicily is the key to this whole imbroglio.

Sic executed a terrific, desperate tackle in play - even received a free kick for his efforts - but NO MATTER. As we found out much to our dismay, the OUTCOME of the tackle played a big part in his three weeks.

That’s the precedent the AFL has set. McCluggage concussed accidentally, no malice from Sic … but CONCUSSION.

Maynard must cop minimum 2 weeks. Unlucky, sure … but not as unlucky as Brayshaw.

Last edited:
The players are also well aware that the AFL lets players off for on-field problems resulting in serious injuries. See McCartin and Rampe.

Don't disagree with you. I think the AFL is grappling with many issues, of which this is one. Umpiring and goal reviews are other problems on the field. My own take is that it is an internal organisational issue where there are a combination of old school grunge heads (the boys club) and people who want to take the game in a certain direction. It will be interesting to see if the new leadership can actually pull the AFL into a forward contemporary direction. There also needs to be a level of creative thinking which is almost non-existent at the AFL. It has been a major failure of Gilligan who all too often seemed very unsure of himself but tried very hard to present a somewhat strong image. It is also an inherent cultural issue that needs to be addressed.

He didn’t choose anything. Stop thinking people have the ability to form rational thought in a fraction of a second.

The passage of him trying to spoil and then colliding with Brayshaw goes for about 2 seconds - that people are expecting Maynard to have realised he didn’t get the spoil, notice Brayshaw would likely run into him and then correct himself and avoid Brayshaw entirely in this short space of time is genuinely baffling.

The way some want the game adjudicated we may as well turn it into AFL 9s and just erase all contact entirely.
Players can and do react to things in that timeframe. I dont know why you keep arguing they cant. Maynard did react in that time. He just reacted poorly and needs to face the consequences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe they are all for people not getting knocked the * out
Jesus

You can advocate for common sense in a contract sport and not assessing that every concussion requires another player to be rubbed out and not be one of these ‘being back the buff’ flogs who want footy to be more akin to MMA like the 70s.

I don’t want Brayshaw to be concussed but I don’t want players to continually get rubbed out for non-malicious acts. There’s a balance to be struck.

I can't stand Collingwood, but even I cannot see any way that Maynard gets a suspension. he was in the air going to block.

He can't defy gravity - he was landing in one spot. Unfortunately that was on Angus.

Where does this turning the shoulder nonsense come from?

Accident - play on.

JVR gets 2 for a raised elbow that sent McStay off the field for 20 mins and Cox needs looking at for that knee grab on Petracca - it was like a chicken wing to the leg.

Based on that - neither side win the Flag.

Port seem spot on at the right time
Brisbane have this MCG hoodoo they can't seem to beat
GWS are capable of serious damage but it's a big ask to get to the GF let alone win.
Carlton - if they don't choke, they have the cattle

ST Kilda and Sydney are no hope.

Port for mine - GWS the smokey

I can't stand Collingwood, but even I cannot see any way that Maynard gets a suspension. he was in the air going to block.

He can't defy gravity - he was landing in one spot. Unfortunately that was on Angus.

Accident - play on.

JVR gets 2 for a raised elbow that sent McStay off the field for 20 mins and Cox needs looking at for that knee grab on Petracca - it was like a chicken wing to the leg.

GWS are capable of serious damage but it's a big ask to get to the GF let alone win.

Will you still think Port will win the flag after the Lions comfortably beat them tomorrow night?

Its the duty if care expected from players now. You have to mitigate the impact and there were options available that were ignored by maynard.

How does this work when a key forward is going for a pack mark? Does he have a duty of care to the defender he takes out with his knee in the process?

Riewoldt & Pickett say hi btw

Accident - play on.

What was your stance on the Sicily / McCluggage incident?

The AFL cant have their cake and eat it too. Theres a class action against them atm relating to long term effects of concussion . The outcome of this incident will only be another layer to add on top of the case. Now if they are ******* serious about this , Maynard will go , case closed.

If the AFL were serious, Brayshaw shouldn't be playing... too many concussions.

Lets propose the opposite happens, Maynard leaps to smother, Brayshaw gets the kick away and Maynard opens himself up to minimise contact as apparently he should have. Brayshaw sees late that Maynard is falling in an open position and he braces for impact and they clash head/face and Maynard is concussed. Do we rub Brayshaw out?

Or is kicking the ball more of a football action than trying to smother?

do the right thing burn GIF
Wot? Maynard still gets dubbed out for choosing to be a knob.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back